Few pictures of the final steps in the CNC conversion of my Sherline mill

  • Flosi Gudmundsson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      Group ,

      In case it might be of interest to someone, I have put up a page with
      few photos of my CNC conversion.

      http://flosi.tripod.com/mycnc/mycnc.html

      Regards,

      Flosi in Iceland
    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hi Flosi,

        > In case it might be of interest to someone, I have put up a page with
        > few photos of my CNC conversion.

        Very nice! Looks like a pretty solid box too!

        I just upgraded my power supply, but yours has a much nicer "coolness"
        factor with those toroidal transformers :)
        http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/CNC/Small/05c-Power-Supply.html

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Vancouver, BC, Canada
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Dave Hylands <dhylands@g...> wrote:
          > Hi Flosi,
          >
          > > In case it might be of interest to someone, I have put up a page with
          > > few photos of my CNC conversion.
          >
          > Very nice! Looks like a pretty solid box too!

          The "theory" was that all this thick al would dissipate some of the
          heat and therefore make the unit "cool". That is, produce as little
          heat as posible and get rid of it.

          > I just upgraded my power supply, but yours has a much nicer "coolness"
          > factor with those toroidal transformers :)

          The "coolness" of toroids is of cource beyond dispute, but I dhoose
          theese because I they were available to at a favorable prize. They
          are together 300 VA.
          > http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/CNC/Small/05c-Power-Supply.html

          Isn't it hot inside?
          Flosi In Iceland
        • Dave Hylands
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi Flosi,

            > > http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/CNC/Small/05c-Power-Supply.html
            > >
            > Isn't it hot inside?

            There's a 24v fan blowing across the heatsinks of the xylotex boards,
            and they're only configured for 2A each, not the 2.5A that they're
            capable of.

            And the switching power supply should run cool (relatively speaking).
            Theres a spot to add a fan to blow across the power supply as well.
            The power supply is capable of delivering 10A, and I won't be pushing
            it to it's full potential, so it should also not run that hot.

            We'll find out after I put it all together and run it for a bit.

            --
            Dave Hylands
            Vancouver, BC, Canada