Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SherlineCNC] Re:backlash and its effects

Expand Messages
  • Alan Marconett
    Hi Marcus, Ron, I probably fit into the category of software guys that don t understand real machining , but I DID see an improvement in the accuracy of my
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Marcus, Ron,

      I probably fit into the category of "software guys that don't understand
      real machining", but I DID see an improvement in the accuracy of my
      parts when I implemented and finally turned on backlash correction in my
      STEP4 controller program. I was reluctant to at first, because I wanted
      to fully test it out, but after I started using it, I noticed an
      improvement in my parts (Sherline mill/lathe). Yes, I can still see
      tiny divots (a the quadrants of arc's), but they are now smaller then
      they were!

      No backlash is best, but a little compensation never hurts! I like this
      Theory!

      Alan KM6VV


      Marcus and Eva wrote:

      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: "Ron Ginger" <ronginger@...>
      >
      >>I dont want to start another flame war, but backlash compensation in
      >>software does NOT fix the backlash problem. When the tool makes its
      >>backlash adjustment it WILL dig a little divot into the part. If the
      >>backlash is bad the part may grab the tool and really dig in and jam.
      >>
      >>I think its a simple fact- backlash software compensation is a dream of
      >>software guys that dont understand real machining. A nice theory, but it
      >>does not work. If it makes you feel good, OK, but you will only make
      >>good parts when you eliminate the mechanical backlash.
      >
      >
      >
      > Hi Ron:
      > Thank you for this comment...I've been trying to convince the
      > unconvinceable on this for ever!!
      > Cheers
      >
      > Marcus
      >
    • Roy J. Tellason
      ... What is this program? That s the first time I recall ever seeing it mentioned...
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        On Wednesday 02 March 2005 02:51 pm, Alan Marconett wrote:

        > when I implemented and finally turned on backlash correction in my
        > STEP4 controller program.

        What is this program? That's the first time I recall ever seeing it
        mentioned...
      • Alan Marconett
        Hi Roy, Not many know of it! It s my own creation, not available publicly available. I ve been working on it for about three years (well, not much for the
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Roy,

          Not many know of it!

          It's my own creation, not available publicly available. I've been
          working on it for about three years (well, not much for the past year,
          'been making parts!). I had intended to sell it, but that didn't
          materialize. Now there is TurboCNC, and Mach1, so it's probably not
          needed. I also had been working with an off-shore University that was
          interested in it at the time.

          So it's another hobby right now. Ya gotta remember, I'm a software
          engineer!

          Alan KM6VV


          Roy J. Tellason wrote:

          > On Wednesday 02 March 2005 02:51 pm, Alan Marconett wrote:
          >
          >
          >>when I implemented and finally turned on backlash correction in my
          >>STEP4 controller program.
          >
          >
          > What is this program? That's the first time I recall ever seeing it
          > mentioned...
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • Roy J. Tellason
          ... What platform is it based on, DOS? Something else?
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On Wednesday 02 March 2005 04:45 pm, Alan Marconett wrote:
            > Hi Roy,
            >
            > Not many know of it!
            >
            > It's my own creation, not available publicly available. I've been
            > working on it for about three years (well, not much for the past year,
            > 'been making parts!). I had intended to sell it, but that didn't
            > materialize. Now there is TurboCNC, and Mach1, so it's probably not
            > needed. I also had been working with an off-shore University that was
            > interested in it at the time.
            >
            > So it's another hobby right now. Ya gotta remember, I'm a software
            > engineer!
            >
            > Alan KM6VV

            What platform is it based on, DOS? Something else?

            > Roy J. Tellason wrote:
            > > On Wednesday 02 March 2005 02:51 pm, Alan Marconett wrote:
            > >>when I implemented and finally turned on backlash correction in my
            > >>STEP4 controller program.
            > >
            > > What is this program? That's the first time I recall ever seeing it
            > > mentioned...
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
          • Alan Marconett
            Hi Roy, Based on DOS. Real mode. Alan KM6VV
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi Roy,

              Based on DOS. Real mode.

              Alan KM6VV


              Roy J. Tellason wrote:

              > On Wednesday 02 March 2005 04:45 pm, Alan Marconett wrote:
              >
              >>Hi Roy,
              >>
              >>Not many know of it!
              >>
              >>It's my own creation, not available publicly available. I've been
              >>working on it for about three years (well, not much for the past year,
              >>'been making parts!). I had intended to sell it, but that didn't
              >>materialize. Now there is TurboCNC, and Mach1, so it's probably not
              >>needed. I also had been working with an off-shore University that was
              >>interested in it at the time.
              >>
              >>So it's another hobby right now. Ya gotta remember, I'm a software
              >>engineer!
              >>
              >>Alan KM6VV
              >
              >
              > What platform is it based on, DOS? Something else?
              >
              >
              >>Roy J. Tellason wrote:
              >>
              >>>On Wednesday 02 March 2005 02:51 pm, Alan Marconett wrote:
              >>>
              >>>>when I implemented and finally turned on backlash correction in my
              >>>>STEP4 controller program.
              >>>
              >>>What is this program? That's the first time I recall ever seeing it
              >>>mentioned...
              >>>
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.