Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: Something is too tight on table

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2005
      Hi Swami,

      Yes! If you are having problems when the Y-axis moves all the way
      forward, then you need to loosen the mount, and carefully position it so
      that the mount is centered.

      You'll have to remove the setscrew (through hole) of the coupling, and
      remove the motor. Check Sherline's 6700 instructions for more info.

      Alan KM6VV

      swami_cnc wrote:

      > I bought a CNC-ready mill, so I did not install the mounts. Is this
      > something I should investigate further? Things worked great
      > initially, and honestly most of the time. Occasionally the motor
      > makes a groan and stops moving the table toward the motor once it is
      > within 2 inches.
      >
      > Swami
      >

      >>Did you install and/or tighten the motor mount with the table all
      >>the way back toward the column? It may be that the motor mounts is
      >>out of position and binding when the table gets close.
      >>
      >>Fred Smith - IMService
      >>http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

    • swami_cnc
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2005
        Maybe this is starting to make sense, lol. So if it is off-center, is
        it basically being bent a little? (Which would obviously make it
        travel poorly)

        Swami

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
        > Hi Swami,
        >
        > Yes! If you are having problems when the Y-axis moves all the way
        > forward, then you need to loosen the mount, and carefully position
        it so
        > that the mount is centered.
        >
        > You'll have to remove the setscrew (through hole) of the coupling, and
        > remove the motor. Check Sherline's 6700 instructions for more info.
        >
        > Alan KM6VV
        >
        > swami_cnc wrote:
        >

        > > I bought a CNC-ready mill, so I did not install the mounts. Is this
        > > something I should investigate further? Things worked great
        > > initially, and honestly most of the time. Occasionally the motor
        > > makes a groan and stops moving the table toward the motor once it is
        > > within 2 inches.
        > >
        > > Swami
        > >

        > >>Did you install and/or tighten the motor mount with the table all
        > >>the way back toward the column? It may be that the motor mounts is
        > >>out of position and binding when the table gets close.
        > >>
        > >>Fred Smith - IMService
        > >>http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

      • Fred Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 8, 2005
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "swami_cnc" <swami_cnc@y...>
          wrote:

          > Maybe this is starting to make sense, lol. So if it is off-
          center, is
          > it basically being bent a little? (Which would obviously make it
          > travel poorly)

          yup. When the table is toward the front the screw is constantly
          flexed ( not bent) as it rotates. Also the leadscrews are not
          perfectly straight and you will get a little oscillation as it
          rotates, particularly toward the front where there is no room for
          the screw to flex.

          Fred Smith - IMService
        • Gregg Swanson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 8, 2005
            I experienced a similar problem with my mill; the x-axis lead screw was
            bent (root cause unknown); I called sherline and described the problem
            and they shipped a new lead screw and my mill is working great...

            Call Sherline or whomever you purchased your mill from and describe the
            issue.

            Gregg

            ________________________________

            > Maybe this is starting to make sense, lol. So if it is off-
            center, is
            > it basically being bent a little? (Which would obviously make it
            > travel poorly)

            yup. When the table is toward the front the screw is constantly
            flexed ( not bent) as it rotates. Also the leadscrews are not
            perfectly straight and you will get a little oscillation as it
            rotates, particularly toward the front where there is no room for
            the screw to flex.

            Fred Smith - IMService

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129nvvtsp/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705063107:HM/EXP=1107958883/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12kh1260i/*htt
            p:/clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1107872483
            264546>

            <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=11
            07872483264546>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group