Re: [SherlineCNC] Sherline CNC Rotary Table

  • Customer Service
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
      How old is this system? Does the problem only happen during a jog of
      the table or when running a program?

      There was a known issue on the Sherline EMC software regarding the A
      axis, it's been fixed since 6/04 but you might need to download an
      update.

      See http://sherline.com/emc/ud/#aaxis (the "This file" link is broken,
      but the "sherline-mods.tar.gz" link at the bottom of the page works and
      is the same thing.)

      On Jan 6, 2005, at 10:39 AM, rondavies2001 wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I purchased the Sherline CNC package together with a CNC ready rotary
      > table.
      > Initially I had problems with the Z axis and the rotary table. After
      > playing around with them it appeared the the problems had disappeared.
      > Since then the Z axis has been fine providing I don't run it a slow
      > feed rate for too great a distance.
      >
      > Now I have come to use the rotary table which stalls and jams. I
      > changed the A cable to connect to the Y axis and the Y cable to
      > connect to the table. With this setup the rotary table moves as it
      > should but the Y axis has intermittent problems.
      >
      > Has anyone else experienced these problems?
      > Does it sound like a software problem or a faulty driver box or maybe
      > a shielding problem?
      >
      > Your input would be appreciated before I contact Sherline and decide
      > which parts have to be returned.
      >
      > Ron Davies
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ron Davies
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2005
        Hi

        The system was purchased early November 04 so is only a few weeks old.
        The is the first time I have been able to start to study the rotary table.

        All patches have been applied.

        I have only tested the table in jog mode. Maybe,hopefully, I will try a
        small program during the weekend.

        The fact that the table runs sweetly when connected to the Y axis cable
        leads me to believe that the driver might be faulty.
        Your comments on this would be appreciated.

        Ron Davies

        Customer Service wrote:

        >How old is this system? Does the problem only happen during a jog of
        >the table or when running a program?
        >
        >There was a known issue on the Sherline EMC software regarding the A
        >axis, it's been fixed since 6/04 but you might need to download an
        >update.
        >
        >See http://sherline.com/emc/ud/#aaxis (the "This file" link is broken,
        >but the "sherline-mods.tar.gz" link at the bottom of the page works and
        >is the same thing.)
        >

        >On Jan 6, 2005, at 10:39 AM, rondavies2001 wrote:
        >

        >>Hi
        >>
        >>I purchased the Sherline CNC package together with a CNC ready rotary
        >>table.
        >>Initially I had problems with the Z axis and the rotary table. After
        >>playing around with them it appeared the the problems had disappeared.
        >>Since then the Z axis has been fine providing I don't run it a slow
        >>feed rate for too great a distance.
        >>
        >>Now I have come to use the rotary table which stalls and jams. I
        >>changed the A cable to connect to the Y axis and the Y cable to
        >>connect to the table. With this setup the rotary table moves as it
        >>should but the Y axis has intermittent problems.
        >>
        >>Has anyone else experienced these problems?
        >>Does it sound like a software problem or a faulty driver box or maybe
        >>a shielding problem?
        >>
        >>Your input would be appreciated before I contact Sherline and decide
        >>which parts have to be returned.
        >>
        >>Ron Davies
        >>

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2005
          Hi Ron, and list,

          I hadn't forgotten about you!

          I have been working on a cylinder for my latest steam engine project. I
          did all the valve passages, bored it, drilled and tapped about 20 5-40
          holes. My system is my own STEP4 controller program, 4 180 oz/in
          steppers, and 4 Gecko drives (just to state that my system is not the
          same as yours).

          This week I figured out the profile for the outside of the cylinder. I
          have made probably ten of the same cylinder, only 3/4" bore instead of
          1.25". The first contour of the cylinder is a horseshoe shape. (pix of
          smaller cylinders in the photos of this list under "KM6VV Engines".
          This OD is 1.875", a little bigger then the previous 1.375", and thus I
          had to figure out the angled sides of the "horseshoe". With the angles
          known, I plugged them into a hand written Gcode program that uses the
          rotary table as an 'A' axis (aligned with the X-axis).

          I had problems from the start, even following my own written
          "directions", the directions I furnished with my engine plans. I
          finally figured out the the A-axis was working funny (starting to sound
          familiar?).

          The program basically starts from one angle (168 degrees) moves from -1"
          out in Y to Y=0, then rotates to a second point (371 degrees), then
          moves out to 1" in Y, advances X for 1/2 the tool diameter (1/4"
          endmill), then moves back to Y=0, and rotates back to the first point,
          and out again to Y= -1. This is repeated until the full width of the
          cylinder (1.875") is cut.

          N01110 G1 Y 0.6227
          N01120 G0 X 0.000
          N01130 G1 A 164.775
          N01140 G1 Z depth
          N01150 G1 Y 0.000
          N01160 G1 A 375.775
          N01170 G1 Y -0.6227
          N01180 G1 X 0.125
          N01190 G1 Y 0.000
          N01200 G1 A 164.775
          N01210 G1 Y 0.6227
          N01220 G1 X 0.250
          N01230 G1 Y 0.000
          N01240 G1 A 375.775
          N01250 G1 Y -0.6227
          N01260 G1 X 0.375

          Well, by the time I got to the right hand side (X=1.8"), I was perhaps
          10 degrees off in angle (A axis).

          I rechecked and verified the code. I checked my starting angle, I
          checked that the rotary table was turning freely. I slowed down the
          feed, noting that the diameter of the stock was about twice that of
          before. I wrote a program to do nothing but move back and forth between
          the two angles at RAPID rate (not the 2 IPM I had gotten down to on the
          arcs). It worked flawlessly. I tried running without the spindle motor
          running. I turned off my backlash compensation. I went back to a
          version of my program I KNEW had cut the previous cylinders. NOTHING
          HELPED.

          I finally decided to swap the A and X Gecko drivers around. The part
          now cuts correctly! So it WAS the driver. Note that only one axis was
          moving at a time, and A seem to work fine with the simple "rocking" test
          of the A axis.

          Then I remembered that I had moved an old Gecko drive from one of the
          main axis to the A axis because it liked to "hum" a little (high pitched
          whine). I had not heard it whine this time.

          The cable/computer/program/controller program/ were fine. The driver is
          now running the X-axis, which has a minimal job to do here (just moves
          the X axis about 1/8" for each rotational pass on the stock). I'll
          check it out further later by cutting out some disks (trepanning).

          AT LEAST I can get my cylinder made.

          I don't know if this helps, (I think we said it had to be your driver as
          well), but I thought I'd relate it for what it's worth.

          Alan KM6VV
        • Ron Davies
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2005
            Hi Alan
            Please keep in mind that I am not technically minded so if I am missing
            something or doing something wrong then please shout.
            My first test was to just swap the cables between the A axis and the X
            axis. The table then ran fine - obviously not to scale but no stalling
            and no missed steps - but the X axis was then showing bad symptons.
            The I amended the .ini file to map to the new setup and the the table
            worked sweetly - but not the X axis. I contacted Ray Henry and obtained
            a copy of a 'good ini file' and compared it to mine. The two matched
            perfectly.
            I can only think from all this that the driver box is faulty and I am
            currently awaiting a replacement from Sherline.
            I will let you know the results when I receive the new driver box and
            get it installed.

            Ron Davies

          • Alan Marconett
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2005
              Hi Ron,

              Yes, I think we came to the correct conclusion on your driver.

              I am surprised, my faulty drive, now on the X is working, and would work
              when all I was moving was the rotary table. But it is obvious that
              there was a problem this time when driving the table, with interspersed
              X, Y and Z moves. I don't see how that had an effect, I will be running
              more tests AFTER I get this part finished! Recall that I have run this
              same process to make probably half a dozen other cylinders!

              Oh well, I certainly don't mind continuing my learning. But it would be
              easier it wasn't on a piece I had a large amount of time in! (a big
              chunk of brass).

              Alan KM6VV