Infinitely variable electronic threading - ebay

  • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      Ok, can anyone tell me how this threading works? It is a lathe package that
      includes CNC-controlled threading for a lathe. I already own the long bed
      lathe.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
      <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3842717457>
      &item=3842717457

      I checked out the MicroKinetics site. There is more information down the
      page here : http://www.microkinetics.com/btlathe.html I can't tell if it
      requires special software support, though.

      This is more of a curiosity than anything else at this point. Looks
      interesting, though.

      Pete

      Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
      Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
      (wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

    • Fred Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Brown \(YahooGroups\)"
        <YahooLists@i...> wrote:
        > Ok, can anyone tell me how this threading works? It is a lathe
        package that
        > includes CNC-controlled threading for a lathe. I already own the
        long bed
        > lathe.

        Pete,

        They use a quadrature encoder, belt drive from the Spindle.

        The DeskCNC 2nd gen controller will implement something similar in a
        few weeks(in beta testing now). Also expect a spindle tach and a
        super low cost, programmable, spindle speed control, with any luck we
        will have closed loop speed control on the spindle controller too,
        bye bye lub-lub.

        Fred Smith - IMService
        http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby
      • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          [ still talking about the one on that site ]

          Thanks, so I presume that the encoder simply syncs the screw up with the
          motor in that case, and it is still the responsibility of the user to set
          the machine speed?

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            <YahooLists@i...> wrote:
            > [ still talking about the one on that site ]
            >

            > Thanks, so I presume that the encoder simply syncs the screw up
            with the
            > motor in that case, and it is still the responsibility of the user
            to set
            > the machine speed?

            "simply" ;-)

            The software electronicly "gears" an axis(or two) to the spindle
            rotation, much like a rotary axis on a mill, except that it is
            desirable to perform this operation at speeds up to about 500 rpm for
            good surface finish with the threading tool.

            A G32 or G33 is a single pass threading command. Once issued with a
            valid feed rate ( thread pitch ), any spindle motion induces a
            synchronized axis motion. If you turn the spindle by hand, the tool
            will (should) visibly move to follow. If there is a variation in the
            spindle speed due to cutting forces, the tool has to stay
            synchronized to keep the thread pitch uniform.

            Some systems use a single pulse to do dynamic synchronization. They
            can't develop smooth motion at eratic and low speeds, like manually
            turning the spindle, and may develop large pitch variations with
            sudden changes in spindle speed.

            Many of the old commercial controllers locked out the feed rate
            override and would not guarantee the ability to pick up a thread
            start if the speed was changed between passes (you couldn't change it
            during a pass).

            Fred Smith - IMService
          • Alan Marconett
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
              Hi Pete,

              I couldn't find out everything, but it looks like an encoder. The
              controller software and their custom board can probably "sync" on the
              encoder signals, and thus generate a synchronized Z feed rate. You
              would thus have a considerable range of "electronic gearing" between the
              spindle and Z axis, perfect for threading.

              If I'm not mistaken Turn Master Pro along with the OptiStep PC-plus
              controller card would be needed. You'd be "locked into" the proprietary
              software, although there may be other programs that use the hardware,
              you'd have to check.

              TurboCNC can use a "1 step" encoder (I'll bet this one is a lot more),
              but not the controller card, to my knowledge. EMC or or one of Art's
              Mach1 family might use it, again, you'd have to check.

              Sounds impressive!

              Alan KM6VV