Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: 4th Axis Setup - EMC, Sherline, BobCAD-CAM

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7 12:59 PM
      HI Dave,

      Thanks for the clarification. I had somehow gotten the impression that
      the problems were in the code being generated, not just the rates.

      I did want to point out that BobCad's 4-axis sounded similar to
      Vector's std. CAD/CAM, insofar as "cylinder wrap" is concerned.

      Alan KM6VV

      Dave wrote:

      > Alan,
      >
      > The problem is not in BobCad, the problem is in EMC. The G-code
      > output is correct. For some reason, the configuration in the INI
      > file for EMC under the Morphix release (which was the same one as the
      > unpatched redhat release) is incorrect as far as explaining to the
      > mill that movement in degrees should be faster than linear. This
      > problem shows up when you have a linear (x or y) movement and an
      > angular (a) movement on the same line (ie. "x1 a40"). any
      > angular/linear axis movement by themselves work perfectly (ie "a40").
      >
      > What happens is the mill moves to "x or y" a lot faster than it does
      > to "a" so the toolpath is disrupted. There is nothing wrong with the
      > G-code.
      >
      > Please do not take this post as a burn, I am just trying to clarify
      > the problem so that no one gets lost here. Basically, if you are
      > using EMC to run your mill, and you are not using the current redhat
      > BDI (or have not patched your redhat version), you will have problems
      > with 4th axis operation. Sherline has already said (to me anyway)
      > that the problem will not be patched for the Morphix BDI (at least
      > not anytime soon). That one is up to us (the users of EMC wanting
      > the Morphix release).
      >
      > If you are having this problem and ARE NOT using EMC, then you may
      > have to contact the maker of that software for a fix (lord have mercy
      > on your sole if it's freeware/shareware). They may be able to patch
      > it for you. Actually, they may not be aware that a problem exists
      > (such as the case with Sherline, from what I can tell I was the first
      > to bring this problem up to their attention).
      >
      > Hope this clarifies things.
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
      >
      >>Hi Harry,
      >>
      >>There seems to be various levels of 4th axis support. The level
      >
      > you
      >
      >>describe in BobCad/CAM is available in Vector CAD/CAM, and I'm sure
      >>other packages as well. Cylinder wrap is what Vector calls it as well.
      >
      >> Vector also has a 4-axis upgrade, which takes it past cylinder
      >>wrapping (I'm told), I don't know if BobCad has it as well.

    • ab2pn
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7 1:15 PM
        Alan,

        I actually believe it was/is both

        BobCAD has some changes for me to do hopefully make the NC code get
        generated correctly so the Arcs will now work.

        And I pulled down the Sherline mod ISO and dug out the .ini file and
        was looking at it so I hope that will fix the A axis speed.

        If all goes well I should be in business.

        Thanks for the help.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7 2:06 PM
          Hi Harry,

          I hope I was of some help. I ran into CNC controller errors when I was
          working on a small 1/2" cube of brass. I was making a slide valve for
          one of my steam engines, it looks little a little upside down table.
          Milling the four little "legs" takes some VERY small arcs. When I
          generated the Gcode with 3 decimal places of precision, some arcs would
          look bad because the endpoints would not seemingly change. So I got a
          big, FULL CIRCLE, which wiped out some stock!

          It IS a really particular problem with the A axis feeds, TurboCNC might
          have gone through some similar hitches (I THINK). I don't have that
          problem with my STEP4 controller software, I look for the fastest moving
          axis (linear or circular) to determine my speeds. A 1" part on the
          rotary table has the same linear speed, otherwise the speed is scaled
          up/down relative to diameter, but easily handled if necessary (probably
          not "proper", but I can live with it. I also don't have the M94 and
          similar commands to change the feed/speed calcs, maybe someday!

          My EMC machine died, but when I get it replaced, I'll check out the ISO
          patch as well. TurboCNC also has a new release out.

          Alan KM6VV

          ab2pn wrote:

          > Alan,
          >
          > I actually believe it was/is both
          >
          > BobCAD has some changes for me to do hopefully make the NC code get
          > generated correctly so the Arcs will now work.
          >
          > And I pulled down the Sherline mod ISO and dug out the .ini file and
          > was looking at it so I hope that will fix the A axis speed.
          >
          > If all goes well I should be in business.
          >
          > Thanks for the help.

        • ab2pn
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 8 2:09 PM
            It looks like BobCAD is going back.....

            I've been on the phone with tech suppurt a number of times and it
            just seems like the 4th axis is not going to work no matter what I do.

            Now the search begins again.....

            I spoke with Fred re: Vector today so I'll have to load up the demo
            and try it out.

          • Alan Marconett
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 8 2:45 PM
              Hi Harry,

              I didn't want to say anything since you'd already purchased BobCad, but
              I looked at it several years ago, and found it difficult to make work.
              I think you'll find Vector CAD/CAM and Fred's support MUCH BETTER.

              Alan KM6VV

              ab2pn wrote:

              > It looks like BobCAD is going back.....
              >
              > I've been on the phone with tech suppurt a number of times and it
              > just seems like the 4th axis is not going to work no matter what I do.
              >

              > Now the search begins again.....
              >

              > I spoke with Fred re: Vector today so I'll have to load up the demo
              > and try it out.

            • ab2pn
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 8 3:14 PM
                I think your right on the support from Fred part....

                Now I have to forget BobCAD and learn Vector