Re: Sherline EMC with a different contoller

  • Flosi Gudmundsson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6, 2004
      Hi,
      Yes thats what I did, and it works. Sort of too well as each mm is in
      fact 2mm. I am looking at mill_mm_freq.ini to see if there is anything
      to tweek. Sugestions for other files to look for would be welcome..

      Regards.
      flosi in Iceland

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Flosi,
      >
      > Did you try the "patch cables" I mentioned on the Sherline Forum? That
      > should work for you. OTHERWISE, you could change the port bit
      > assignments for the EMC product, and recompile. Ouch!
      >
      > Alan KM6VV
      >
      > Flosi Gudmundsson wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > > I have just finished my CNC conversion after a considerable delay. It
      > > is similar to the one Camtonics sells but with adifferent pinout for
      > > the printer port. I have been sucessful in using it with TurboCNC but
      > > would like to use it with EMC. I have EMC setup on a computer with
      > > the Sherline extensions, but can't find where I change the port
      > > definitions. Maybe some of the EMC experts could shed some light on
      > > this?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Flosi in Iceland

    • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
        Hi All.

        I have the 3-axis CNC upgrade kit from Sherline. My model had the holes
        already drilled and tapped on the base and table. However, I need to drill
        and tap the mill column.

        I work almost exclusively in plastic and wax, with a foray into brass once
        in a while. I also do woodworking on the side, but not with my Sherline. I
        have never drilled or tapped steel, forget hardened steel.

        I'll be using the steel template from Sherline, and my Dewalt corded power
        drill. Any suggestions on technique/fluid etc? Will new HSS drills and taps
        handle it?

        Thanks.

        Pete

      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
          Hi Pete,

          I have done two mills and a lathe without problems. clamp the way in a
          vice, use packing. Drilling with good, sharp tools is no problem. For
          the taping, use "Tap Magic" or your favorite brand of tapping fluid.
          Fluid also helps on the drilling. Remember standard tapping practices,
          back the tap out to clear the chips every turn or so, or as needed. The
          ways are not hardened.

          Alan KM6VV

          Pete Brown (YahooGroups) wrote:

          > Hi All.
          >

          > I have the 3-axis CNC upgrade kit from Sherline. My model had the holes
          > already drilled and tapped on the base and table. However, I need to drill
          > and tap the mill column.
          >

          > I work almost exclusively in plastic and wax, with a foray into brass once
          > in a while. I also do woodworking on the side, but not with my Sherline. I
          > have never drilled or tapped steel, forget hardened steel.
          >

          > I'll be using the steel template from Sherline, and my Dewalt corded power
          > drill. Any suggestions on technique/fluid etc? Will new HSS drills and taps
          > handle it?
          >

          > Thanks.
          >

          > Pete

        • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
            Ok, thanks. I thought those were all hardened, so you can imagine my
            concerns :-)

            Thanks again!

            Pete

            Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
            Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
            (wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
              Hi Pete,
              I believe the column uses the round template. What I did to center
              the holes, rather than eyeball them as the instructions say, was to
              carefully measure halfway across the column end and put a pencil mark.
              Then I put a mark on the edge of the round template halfway between
              the 2 guide holes and lined it up with the mark on the column. This
              made the 2 holes parallel with face of the column. Another thing that
              I did was not removing the template but leaving the template in place
              for the entire drilling process even though the instructions say to
              remove it and finish drilling. It helps keep the drill straight.

              The only thing you have to worry about is breaking a tap. So use a
              sharp tap, turn it easy, back it off often and use lubricating fluid.

              Good luck
              Lee

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Brown \(YahooGroups\)"
              <YahooLists@i...> wrote:
              > Hi All.
              >

              > I have the 3-axis CNC upgrade kit from Sherline. My model had the
              holes
              > already drilled and tapped on the base and table. However, I need
              to drill
              > and tap the mill column.
              >

              > I work almost exclusively in plastic and wax, with a foray into
              brass once
              > in a while. I also do woodworking on the side, but not with my
              Sherline. I
              > have never drilled or tapped steel, forget hardened steel.
              >

              > I'll be using the steel template from Sherline, and my Dewalt
              corded power
              > drill. Any suggestions on technique/fluid etc? Will new HSS drills
              and taps
              > handle it?
              >

              > Thanks.
              >

              > Pete

            • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2004
                Great, thanks. That's all good advice. Keeping the template in place
                definitely makes sense, especially for a hand drill. The only think I think
                it might cause problems with is chip evacuation. I'll watch out for that -
                and the fluid should help anyway.

                Now I just need to wait for my taps to arrive from enco (along with my
                shipment of Freeman wax)

                Just in case, I bought a couple drills and a couple taps.

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2004
                  --- Lee Davis <LeeFairfield@...> wrote:
                  > The only thing you have to worry about is breaking a
                  > tap. So use a
                  > sharp tap, turn it easy, back it off often and use
                  > lubricating fluid.

                  You can say that again. I was extra careful and still
                  broke a tap off in the second hole. I was a 40 year
                  old
                  tap I've had and used for many holes. Couldn't get it
                  out
                  for nothing, so finally just ground it off, welded it
                  over and saved the mill column for manual use.

                  The sherline techs will do it for you at a modest shop
                  fee if you have any concerns.

                  John

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Lee Davis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2004
                    I know what you mean. I have broken a few taps. I have a tap
                    extractor that sometimes works. I have learned to use a light touch,
                    a short turn(back up every 1/8 turn or so), a very small tap handle
                    and plenty of tapping fluid. And I have 1-2 new taps of each size
                    that are reserved for the jobs like you are talking about. Besides
                    using an extractor, I have been able to occasionally get a tap out by
                    drilling the tap with a small carbide drill (the kind with the
                    colored collars you see on EBay). Those puppies are hard and will
                    drill through most anything. I once used one to drill through
                    bearing. You just have to hold them rigid such as in a Sherline mill
                    chuck and run up the RPMs (They like about 30,000 RPM if you can get
                    it).

                    Well enough rattling.... Later
                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 15, 2004
                      Thanks everyone for the advice. This was the first time I drilled and tapped
                      metal, and it worked like a charm. I was also surprised at how easily that
                      metal drilled with the #29 drill bit in my dewalt. I guess I still had it in
                      my head that it must be harder than regular steel. The Sherline template was
                      a huge time saver. I'm sure the hole would not have been straight otherwise.

                      To tap, I just had to start the hole with a plug tap and then continue it
                      with the bottoming tap. That made it easy to keep the tap straight while
                      still tapping almost to the bottom of the hole. The taps were nice and sharp
                      American-made ones from Enco. They came in a set of three for under $7. For
                      reference for anyone else doing this in the future, this is the set I used:

                      http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=325-5043

                      Once it was done, I used compressed air in a can to get the rest of the
                      chips out of the blind hole. I wrapped a paper towel around the top of the
                      column and the air nozzle to catch the chips and fluid.

                      So far so good. I have to clean the mill up (since it is all apart) and then
                      install the new Z axis screw next.

                      BTW, I saw Fred's display at Iron Fever up in York. The new SYS-3 is nice -
                      and also very quiet and cool to the touch. He had the probe running up there
                      scanning in a model or a tiger or something.