Packing CNC Mill for travel

  • sbsmwj
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      I am moving to Britain and will be taking my Sherline machines with me. However, I need
      to know whether I should take the stepper motor(s) off the milling machine's table? I
      retro-fitted these (w Sherline's mounts & motors) and have had second thoughts about
      whether packing the mill with the steppers attached was a good idea.

      The mill is in its original box, bolted to the wooden base, basically the same way it came
      to me. This box is then encapsulated in a slightly larger, new, double-wall box.

      Comments? Suggestions?

      Mike Jones
      Old Lyme, CT
    • Lee Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi Mike,
        My rule when packing is: If you think it could be problem then it
        will be. When I am done packing, I should feel comfortable dropping
        it 3 feet. If not then pack it some more. Yes- that's right- pack it
        like it is going to be abused. Packing is cheap, new Sherline parts
        are not. There are 2 basic problems in shipping. 1 impact to the
        container (crushing, forklifts, etc) and 2. shock to the container
        (dropping,falling, etc).

        Remove the stepper motors, and be sure and remove the headstock and
        motor and pack it low in the box. Remove the vertical column from the
        mill if there is any chance it could be damaged by impact. The
        stepper mounts can stay on if you are sure that there is no way they
        could get hit. Lastly, use lots of packing materials.

        Good luck
        Lee

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "sbsmwj" <mwjones99@m...> wrote:
        > I am moving to Britain and will be taking my Sherline machines with
        me. However, I need
        > to know whether I should take the stepper motor(s) off the milling
        machine's table? I
        > retro-fitted these (w Sherline's mounts & motors) and have had
        second thoughts about
        > whether packing the mill with the steppers attached was a good
        idea.

        > The mill is in its original box, bolted to the wooden base,
        basically the same way it came
        > to me. This box is then encapsulated in a slightly larger, new,
        double-wall box.

        > Comments? Suggestions?
        >
        > Mike Jones
        > Old Lyme, CT
      • sbsmwj
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Davis" <LeeFairfield@H...> wrote:
          > Hi Mike,
          > My rule when packing is: If you think it could be problem then it
          > will be.

          Thanks for the confirmation of what I was suspecting. I've packed both the mill and lathe
          in their original packing boxes, but without the headstock/motor assemblies. Those went
          in separate boxes cause it's such a pain to reassemble them.

          I'll dig into the mill box and remove the steppers. The column is already off.

          I pack things as if the thing were going to be handled like the Samsonite gorilla
          (advertisement from long ago), which in all probablity, it will be. New double wall boxes,
          high quality tape and lots of peanuts/foam, etc.

          Thanks,

          Mike
        • Alan Marconett
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
            Hi Mike,

            I recently shipped an old Sherline mill in the new box. It arrived with
            no problems (no motors, 'tho). Another shipment had a controller box
            and three motors. The motors were secured together alongside the
            controller.

            Can you secure the motors as well as the ways to the wood palate? Then
            I think it will be OK. The X ways of course is off the mill, the Y is a
            bit more of a problem, as you need to support the motor, which is a
            little ways from the palate. Shim it up with scrap wood.

            Alan KM6VV

            sbsmwj wrote:

            > I am moving to Britain and will be taking my Sherline machines with me. However, I need
            > to know whether I should take the stepper motor(s) off the milling machine's table? I
            > retro-fitted these (w Sherline's mounts & motors) and have had second thoughts about
            > whether packing the mill with the steppers attached was a good idea.
            >
            > The mill is in its original box, bolted to the wooden base, basically the same way it came
            > to me. This box is then encapsulated in a slightly larger, new, double-wall box.
            >
            > Comments? Suggestions?
            >
            > Mike Jones
            > Old Lyme, CT
          • mikezcnc
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
              I ship a lot of stuff to foreing places as far as the ATlas can reach
              and I learned one thing: it is exactly what Lee said. If you have
              doubts, it will happen. It doesn't take long to take teh Sherline
              apart, bubble wrap, double box. When Iam done it fall off a 7th floor
              w/o problems, 100 pounds boxes.. we made a test one day.
              If you bubble wrap and double box there is zero chances for the
              carrier monkeys to damage it. The are very brutal these days with
              packages. And if you use styrofoam peanuts remember thay are only a
              space filler not a packing material. Don't think that Fedez, because
              they smile, is less brutal with your stuff: I heard from the insider
              that htey really throw it from one part of the truck to anotehr. Have
              you seen the movie Cable Guy??? Mike