[Fwd: Re: [SherlineCNC] Sherline customer service???]

  • john_haddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hi Alan,

      It's good to hear that SHerline is usually more responsive.

      Although I referred to the problem as shipping damage, I did so
      because I couldn't believe that the problem would have been pre-
      existing before shipment. However, there were no damage indications
      on the shipping cartons to suggest extreme mishandling.

      The mill was repacked by the dealer prior to international shipment,
      to reduce the number of parcels and hence keep the costs down, so
      there's a possibility that the damage occurred at this point.

      Actually, from Sherline I was really just wanting confirmation that I
      had the correct part numbers identified for the replacements I'll
      need. In addition, I was hoping that Sherline would lean on the
      dealer concerned to get him to pick up his act.

      Because of this latter point, I've chosen to keep the dealer's name
      out of the public forums since I'd like to at least offer an
      opportunity for him to redeem his standing with me.

      Cheers,

      John Haddy

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
      > Hi John,
      >
      > No, I've had great service from Sherline! Was the package inspected
      > when you received it? If I'm not mistaken, damage in shipping is
      > usually reported to the carrier. What did the carrier say?
      Packages
      > are usually drop-shipped from the Sherline factory in CA. The
      dealer is
      > pretty much out of that loop. I trust you had it insured.
      >
      > Alan KM6VV
      >

      > john_haddy wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I was wondering whether any of you have had the same lack of
      response
      > > from Sherline that I've experienced, or whether I'm a "special"
      case?

      > > Last year, before the big price hike, I ordered a 2010A CNC ready
      > > mill package from a dealer (who shall, for the moment, remain
      > > nameless). The transaction proceeded flawlessly and I was happy
      with
      > > the service.
      > >
      > > Due to a wait while I got stepper motors organised, it was a
      month or
      > > so before I finally got a chance to play with the mill. At this
      > > point, I discovered that the mill's table had been damaged in
      > > shipping.
      > >
      > >>From here on, the story's not happy. The dealer won't respond to
      my
      > > emails or even voicemail, beyond an initial promise to discuss it
      > > with Sherline. Therefore, I tried Sherline direct. Sherline
      haven't
      > > responded to any of my emails, so I tried 'phoning them. An
      > > obstructionist receptionist couldn't seem to get past the "you'll
      > > have to take the problem up with the dealer" line, even when I'd
      > > explained that the dealer was unresponsive. I finally got a
      > > commitment from her that someone would get back to me - this has
      > > turned out to be a convenient excuse to get me off their backs,
      since
      > > no-one has.
      > >
      > > If anybody can offer advice on where to go from here, I'd
      appreciate
      > > it. I've got a very pretty but useless mill sitting on a bench. I
      > > know that I can purchase spare parts (I need a new X leadscrew
      and X
      > > table, at least) but I'd like to at least have Sherline confirm
      that
      > > this is my only option.
      > >
      > > My opinion of Sherline isn't exactly high at the moment - I'd
      love to
      > > here that my case is unusual!
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > John Haddy,
      > > Sydney, Australia
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alan Marconett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
        Hi John,

        That makes it more complicated, but typically the shipping company is
        who you want to make the claim to.

        Perhaps someone at Sherline got the wrong idea of what you needed. I
        hope they can help you, and that your dealer can assist as well.

        MOST of all, I hope you get your mill working so that you can ENJOY it!

        I have done very few international shipments, but I know they can be
        worrisome. I was really sweating one shipment, my wife shipped it, but
        forgot the insurance! Got there OK, 'tho.

        Alan KM6VV