Re: [SherlineCNC] Sherline customer service???

  • wthomas@gfn.org
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31 10:43 AM
      Hi John:
      I had a damaged machine when it was shipped to me from
      Backtrack, the company that used to modify the Sherline to make it a
      CNC. When I received the package the corner of the box only had a
      small dent in it of 2 or 3 inches but, when I opened it the lower
      part of the machine was in bad shape. The machine originally had
      been fastened to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood with heavy plastic tie
      wraps that secured the machine. Three of these tie wraps were
      broken so it was clearly dropped for some distance and the machine
      damage by the fall. I had told the shipper about the package damage
      when I received it and then called Backtrack who then reported it to
      the shipper. The shipper's insurance company came to my house and
      inspected the damage and took the damaged parts. I was then shipped
      new parts which I believe came directly Sherline but I am not sure
      about this. I know I was happy to see the new parts and everything
      worked when I put it together. That was five years ago and I have
      been too buzy since to get to use it.
      I am sorry to hear you are having problems and given some time I
      am Sherline will work things out for you. It is just that some
      people that have started to call themselves dealers are not always
      the most honest type and are out to make a quick buck. An example of
      this was a person selling Sherline products on ebay that never
      shipped the good. The customers expected Sherline to ship them
      machines because they had paid a crook.
      GOD'S BLESSINGS
      Bill
      To: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      From: "john_haddy" <john_haddy@...>
      Date sent: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:19:29 -0000
      Subject: [SherlineCNC] Sherline customer service???
      Send reply to: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com

      Hi all,

      I was wondering whether any of you have had the same lack of response
      from Sherline that I've experienced, or whether I'm a "special" case?

      Last year, before the big price hike, I ordered a 2010A CNC ready
      mill package from a dealer (who shall, for the moment, remain
      nameless). The transaction proceeded flawlessly and I was happy with
      the service.

      Due to a wait while I got stepper motors organised, it was a month or
      so before I finally got a chance to play with the mill. At this
      point, I discovered that the mill's table had been damaged in
      shipping.

      >From here on, the story's not happy. The dealer won't respond to my
      emails or even voicemail, beyond an initial promise to discuss it
      with Sherline. Therefore, I tried Sherline direct. Sherline haven't
      responded to any of my emails, so I tried 'phoning them. An
      obstructionist receptionist couldn't seem to get past the "you'll
      have to take the problem up with the dealer" line, even when I'd
      explained that the dealer was unresponsive. I finally got a
      commitment from her that someone would get back to me - this has
      turned out to be a convenient excuse to get me off their backs, since
      no-one has.

      If anybody can offer advice on where to go from here, I'd appreciate
      it. I've got a very pretty but useless mill sitting on a bench. I
      know that I can purchase spare parts (I need a new X leadscrew and X
      table, at least) but I'd like to at least have Sherline confirm that
      this is my only option.

      My opinion of Sherline isn't exactly high at the moment - I'd love to
      here that my case is unusual!

      Cheers,

      John Haddy,
      Sydney, Australia

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Dave Hylander
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
        John,

        I had a chance today to call Sherline on a problem. I ordered the WW
        Deluxe Collet Set from "The Sherline Shop" a dealer. On delivery today, I
        found that the collet adapter was missing from the set. Kind of makes the
        whole set useless. While I've had nothing but good service from the dealer,
        when I called them today, I could not connect with anyone. So, I called
        Sherline, who answered after the first ring. I described my problem with
        the missing adaptor, and that I had purchased the set from a dealer. The
        woman I was talking to then asked for my name and address, and informed me
        that the replacement part would be shipped 2nd day, and I would have it on
        Tuesday. This is the second time I've had to call Sherline for a missing,
        or incorrect part, and I am completely happy with the response and follow
        through to get me the right parts.

        Dave

        At 12:19 PM 5/30/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >was wondering whether any of you have had the same lack of response
        >from Sherline that I've experienced, or whether I'm a "special" case?
        >
        >Last year, before the big price hike, I ordered a 2010A CNC ready
        >mill package from a dealer (who shall, for the moment, remain
        >nameless). The transaction proceeded flawlessly and I was happy with
        >the service.
        >
        >Due to a wait while I got stepper motors organised, it was a month or
        >so before I finally got a chance to play with the mill. At this
        >point, I discovered that the mill's table had been damaged in
        >shipping.
        >
        > >From here on, the story's not happy. The dealer won't respond to my
        >emails or even voicemail, beyond an initial promise to discuss it
        >with Sherline. Therefore, I tried Sherline direct. Sherline haven't
        >responded to any of my emails, so I tried 'phoning them. An
        >obstructionist receptionist couldn't seem to get past the "you'll
        >have to take the problem up with the dealer" line, even when I'd
        >explained that the dealer was unresponsive. I finally got a
        >commitment from her that someone would get back to me - this has
        >turned out to be a convenient excuse to get me off their backs, since
        >no-one has.
        >
        >If anybody can offer advice on where to go from here, I'd appreciate
        >it. I've got a very pretty but useless mill sitting on a bench. I
        >know that I can purchase spare parts (I need a new X leadscrew and X
        >table, at least) but I'd like to at least have Sherline confirm that
        >this is my only option.
        >
        >My opinion of Sherline isn't exactly high at the moment - I'd love to
        >here that my case is unusual!

        ~dave~

        http://www.hylander.com
        http://www.hylander.us
      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2004
          Hi John, Dave,

          I've had a similar experience. I decided to CNC a now 20 year old mill,
          and ordered what I thought was the correct parts. Well, at any rate,
          with my old mill, some weren't correct. And I thought I had a bent
          coupler. they replaced the leadscrews, and provided an new coupler. NO
          charge! Since then, I've bought a new mill and lathe w/ CNC, CNC rotary
          table, angle table, tailstock, Long Z axis.... OK most of the
          accessories. I'm happy with their service!

          Alan KM6VV