Re: spindle tachometer for sherline?

  • mefull26
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2004
      Hi Isak,

      I am using the Sherline off the shelf CNC system, so I am using EMC for control.

      Mark

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "sisakl" <isak@h...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I guess that you have a CNC machine and controller.
      > What program are you using to control the steppers/servo ?
      > Mach2 lathe have a RPM readout feature.
      >
      > If you a bit into electronics you can build a simple opto-transistor
      > pickup, connect it to the parrallel port, and there you have it.
      >
      > Isak.
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "mefull26" <mefull26@y...> wrote:
      > > Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a spindle RPM
      > tachometer that
      > > will work on the sherline lathe or mill?
      > >
      > > I see that its included with the sherline DRO but I really don't
      > neet the rest of it.
      > >
      > > Mark
    • carbuthn03
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2004
        Isak,

        You may be able to use the tachometer that Mike Neal sells for model
        engines, you can look at them at www.mjnfabrication.com it is good
        to over 10000 rpm.

        Chuck

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "mefull26" <mefull26@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Isak,
        >
        > I am using the Sherline off the shelf CNC system, so I am using
        EMC for control.

        > Mark
        >

        > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "sisakl" <isak@h...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > > I guess that you have a CNC machine and controller.
        > > What program are you using to control the steppers/servo ?
        > > Mach2 lathe have a RPM readout feature.
        > >
        > > If you a bit into electronics you can build a simple opto-
        transistor
        > > pickup, connect it to the parrallel port, and there you have it.
        > >
        > > Isak.
        > >
        > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "mefull26" <mefull26@y...>
        wrote:
        > > > Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a spindle
        RPM
        > > tachometer that
        > > > will work on the sherline lathe or mill?
        > > >
        > > > I see that its included with the sherline DRO but I really
        don't
        > > neet the rest of it.
        > > >
        > > > Mark
      • sisakl
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2004
          Hi, Mark
          I think Mach2 is better than emc (on my opinion).
          It can produce higher pulse rates, make threades on a lathe and read
          RPM.

          You can DL a demo version from www.artofcnc.ca
          It is limited to 1000 lines and 25KHz pulse rate (which I think is
          higher than EMC).