Re: [SherlineCNC] cnc lathe

  • Alan Marconett KM6VV
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
      Hi Shorty,

      Lighting is always hard on metallic items. I'm about to get out my
      umbrella and a slave flash, and see if I can improve MY photos!

      So you're RUNNING Joe's tool changer already? WOW! I'm impressed!
      I'll probably get along for a while with changing my own tools. ;>)

      I intend to add more endmill holders for the mill, and QC tool tool
      holders for the lathe.

      If you will, please post a lathe example for CNC to the files, I will be
      greatly appreciated! (I'm learning as I go too). I've posted some
      simple parts, but it sounds like you're making a fairly complex part.

      I just posted a reply for James' lathe project, are you using Vector
      CAD/CAM and doing something similar? Your comments would be
      appreciated!

      Alan KM6VV

      Alan,

      I would agree with you, I started out with just a short bed lathe.
      I was able to add a milling column attachment which
      gave me the functionality of the mill with just limitations on travel.
      This was the most cost effective way for me to handle
      it at the time. I have since been able to upgrade my short bed lathe to
      a long bed (well worth the $200). I have been
      able to purchase a CNC ready 2000 mill, Just had to add steppers with
      Xylotex drivers and TurboCNC to run the show.
      Again a very good system at the most effective cost. The next natural
      evolution was to CNC the lathe, I was holding out
      for a while until the power feed went out on the lathe, Since I hate to
      turn and count the hand wheels I went for the CNC. I
      only wished I had done it sooner. I have just finished making an
      automatic tool changer from Joe Vicars plans. This is a
      really super thing, I think I have a picture in the photo section (not
      a good one, I am lousy at photography) and a video in
      the files section. My point being here that the tool holders have
      several angles and have to be all the same, I have about
      1 dozen made and as I am writing this the CNC lathe is cranking out
      another dozen, These could be made without cnc
      but with cnc they come out perfect every time.

      It has been an uphill battle to learn this CNC stuff and I am still just
      a newbie but I believe it is the only way to go.

      Just my 2 cents worth.

      see Ya,
      shorty.

    • Shorty Leatherwood
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2004
        Hello Alan,

            You are way ahead of me in the machining and CNC, Just by looking at some of your photo's.  I am using VectorXT, Well let me restate that I am trying to use it.  I was making progress then when XT came out a lot of the menus changed as well as the options and I feel like I am starting over.

          The g-code for the tool holders That I am making have been partially made by vector at least for the tapered end of the holder, Then I had to write the code for the v-groove, I was unable to get vector to reproduce this correctly.

          I have One of the TS Engineering QC tool post and Love it,  It make tool changes on the lathe must better.  If you haven't sprung for one of these I would highly recommend it.

          I hope to get back to building my motors by the weekend, for this is my true love.

            I will be more than happy to contribute any information that I can I am just not sure I know enough at this point to keep me out of trouble.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2004
          Hi Shorty,

          There's a lot of stuff to learn! Some just stumble upon things a little
          before others (that's me!).

          I don't understand all I know about XT either! Especially the lathe.
          One expects to be able to make square shoulders and grooves on the lathe
          (by use of different tool/angle), but a simple 55 degree cutter won't do
          that. There is also the problem of following the profile on the OTHER
          side of a bump or ring. XT DOES have two more "undercut" functions that
          I haven't really tried yet.

          I was busy at work when XT came, and I didn't do much more then load it
          at that time. Looked quite a bit different. Some functions moved. I
          kept '95 loaded, and continued to run it. A few months later, I decided
          to jump in and figure out the changes. It's not that different, really!

          I was told about the TS Engineering QC about the time I ordered the QC
          from Sherline. It's fast enough on changing, if I had more holders!
          Maybe for Christmas.

          What motors are you building? I'd like to hear! And I'm sure all of us
          can gain from your contributions!

          Alan KM6VV