RE: [SherlineCNC] Threads with lathe?

  • Carol & Jerry Jankura
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
      You might want to consider a G-Code interpreter (that's the program that
      takes the G-Code that you write for the shape you want to cut) that offers
      software controlled threading. TurboCNC is an example. You simply add a
      sensor to allow TurboCNC to measure the speed of the spindle. It then sets
      the speed of the leadscrew to produce the thread that you want. You might
      want to take a look at it www.dakeng.com

      Of course, Sherline also offers their threading attachment, but I don't
      think that it would work well in a CNC environment.

      Unlike the usual disclaimer attached to these kinds of messages, I do have
      an interest in TurboCNC because I'm one of the three fellows (Dave
      Kowalczyk, the original developer, and Tony Groothuizen are the other two)
      who are developing the next release.

      -- Jerry

      > I am looking for a small cnc lathe that is capable of cutting
      > threads. As far as I can tell you cant control the spindle speed with
      > the controller program or dial in the exact rpm with the rpm knob.
      > Are there in upgrades or modifications that would allow one of these
      > two or another way of doing threads?
    • getawaymaui
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
        I was looking at that kit for turnmaster pro. I wasnt sure how it
        worked, until I checked it out again. I first thought that it
        controlled the spindle speed somehow. It seems like an expensive way
        to do what it does.
        Im probably going to go with that route since the software is one of
        the few dedicated lathe controllers and has alot of codes to use.
        Is there any kits that allow spindle control?
      • Alan Marconett KM6VV
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2004
          Hi Maui,

          Have you tried TurboCNC? It's free (or nearly so). Uses a spindle
          pickup to allow thread cutting. I'd certainly try it first!

          Alan KM6VV