Re: [SherlineCNC] Threads with lathe?

  • Tom Hubin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
      Hello,

      TurboCnc has some way to sync feed to spindle speed. You need a detector
      on the spindle to send pulses to the computer. The software can then
      feed appropriately.

      I do not have this ability cuz I have not yet needed it. I just remember
      reading something about it in the brief TurboCnc manual.

      Tom Hubin
      thubin@...

      *********************

      getawaymaui wrote:

      > I am looking for a small cnc lathe that is capable of cutting
      > threads. As far as I can tell you cant control the spindle speed with
      > the controller program or dial in the exact rpm with the rpm knob.
      > Are there in upgrades or modifications that would allow one of these
      > two or another way of doing threads?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carol & Jerry Jankura
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2004
        You might want to consider a G-Code interpreter (that's the program that
        takes the G-Code that you write for the shape you want to cut) that offers
        software controlled threading. TurboCNC is an example. You simply add a
        sensor to allow TurboCNC to measure the speed of the spindle. It then sets
        the speed of the leadscrew to produce the thread that you want. You might
        want to take a look at it www.dakeng.com

        Of course, Sherline also offers their threading attachment, but I don't
        think that it would work well in a CNC environment.

        Unlike the usual disclaimer attached to these kinds of messages, I do have
        an interest in TurboCNC because I'm one of the three fellows (Dave
        Kowalczyk, the original developer, and Tony Groothuizen are the other two)
        who are developing the next release.

        -- Jerry

        > I am looking for a small cnc lathe that is capable of cutting
        > threads. As far as I can tell you cant control the spindle speed with
        > the controller program or dial in the exact rpm with the rpm knob.
        > Are there in upgrades or modifications that would allow one of these
        > two or another way of doing threads?
      • getawaymaui
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2004
          I was looking at that kit for turnmaster pro. I wasnt sure how it
          worked, until I checked it out again. I first thought that it
          controlled the spindle speed somehow. It seems like an expensive way
          to do what it does.
          Im probably going to go with that route since the software is one of
          the few dedicated lathe controllers and has alot of codes to use.
          Is there any kits that allow spindle control?
        • Alan Marconett KM6VV
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2004
            Hi Maui,

            Have you tried TurboCNC? It's free (or nearly so). Uses a spindle
            pickup to allow thread cutting. I'd certainly try it first!

            Alan KM6VV