RE: [SherlineCNC] stepper sources for Canadians.

  • John Haddy
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      This may sound pedantic to some, but I think it's important:

      Torque is the PRODUCT of force and distance, so the correct
      specification
      for a stepper would be 130 oz-in, NOT 130 oz/in.

      Although this may appear as of little moment, if one gets into the habit
      of correct notation then solving simple questions becomes easier (e.g.
      if I want to be able to exert a tangential force F at a radial distance
      from my motor, how big a motor will I need? The answer is obvious when
      you look at the units of torque when written correctly.).

      Of course, at this point I should go on a rant about archaic measurement
      systems where the same unit is used for force as well as weight, and the
      need for all right-thinking people to use metric, but I'll restrain
      myself. :-)

      Cheers,

      John Haddy
      Sydney, Australia

    • Jeff Jones
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2004
        I stand humbly correctd. I'm usually a stickler for exact terms
        myself so I guess I deserved that... :)

        > Hi all,
        >
        > This may sound pedantic to some, but I think it's important:
        >
        > Torque is the PRODUCT of force and distance, so the correct
        > specification
        > for a stepper would be 130 oz-in, NOT 130 oz/in.
        >
        > Although this may appear as of little moment, if one gets into the
        habit
        > of correct notation then solving simple questions becomes easier (e.g.
        > if I want to be able to exert a tangential force F at a radial
        distance
        > from my motor, how big a motor will I need? The answer is obvious when
        > you look at the units of torque when written correctly.).
        >
        > Of course, at this point I should go on a rant about archaic
        measurement
        > systems where the same unit is used for force as well as weight, and
        the
        > need for all right-thinking people to use metric, but I'll restrain
        > myself. :-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > John Haddy
        > Sydney, Australia
      • Antonius J.M. Groothuizen
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2004
          Dave:

          I'll second that!

          Actually, price it out. On my large orders (USD 900+), through a
          Canadian dealer, UPS was cheaper. Small orders have often cost me
          more than the price of the goods in shipping and customs fees when
          shipped via UPS. Try a split order from ENCO with two end mills @
          7.00 USD each for a total cost of over $60 USD.

          Also when shipping to Canada please include a certificate of origin
          stating which parts are made in NAFTA countries. This saves us
          duties which are otherwise payable. Warranty replacement parts
          should also be clearly marked with the words 'Warranty Replacement'
          otherwise our government will automaticly bill us an extra 15% of the
          value of the parts.

          Tony G

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hylands" <dhylands@b...>
          wrote:
          > Actually, in my experience, you NEVER want to ship anything from
          the US
          > to Canada using UPS Standard.
          >
          > UPS charges a $30-$40 brokerage fee when they deliver the goods, +
          GST +