Re: Some Questions - Software Related

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
      Hey Bob,
      Like Andrew suggested, I use the DeskEngrave program from DeskAm, and
      it's pretty good for freeware. Took a while to learn all the
      options, and it's a LOT of trial and error to get the output size of
      the letters to match up with how big you need them to be on your
      part, but the price is right (free) and it does get the job done.
      On AutoEdit, I use that too and had the same experience as you did,
      with the blank simulation screen. One suggestion is to make sure
      that the z depth goes below zero (ie -0.03, etc.). Other than that,
      I had to use the prog several times before it finally started
      working, lol! The sucky thing about AE is that you can only see the
      top down view of your part, so you can't easily visualize the 3d-ness
      of it. Just my thoughts :)
      Thomas

      > Gang,
      >

      > Last August, I started restoring a used Sherline 5000 CNC mill that
      > bought from a post on the regular Sherline group. Once I got it
      running,
      > in September, I had problems with the z-axis and posted some
      questions
      > about that. This weekend, I made my first cuts completely under
      CNC
      > control with everything working the way I think it should. In the
      end, I
      > replaced the MicroKinetics "Optidriver Plus" board with one of
      Jeff's
      > (Xylotex) 3 axis controllers, built a power supply from "junk box"
      parts I
      > had lying around the house, and instead of the
      MicroKinetics "MillMaster"
      > software, used TurboCNC to control everything. I have a fully
      functional
      > three axis CNC Sherline right around $500 out of pocket.
      >
      > Did you ever start on one of those projects that takes on a life of
      its
      > own, so much that when you're done restoring the thing you forget
      why you
      > started?
      >
      > I've gotten so wrapped up in this restoration that I've missed some
      of the
      > important learning I needed to be doing. I have some questions of
      the
      > "Where do I go from here and how do I get there?" type.
      >
      > The first thing I cut was a single cycle of a sine wave, on a piece
      of
      > plywood. I used Dan Stadtman's method of creating the file in
      Excel, then
      > exporting it into a text file. I can see how I could stretch this,
      or
      > shrink it, so that it fits the circumference of a ring, like Dan
      does. I
      > can see how I might do other interesting curves this way.
      >
      > First question: a while back, someone posted info on a freeware
      program
      > called "AutoEditCNC 3.0". When I use the "Simulate" feature, isn't
      it
      > supposed to show the tool path? The screen flickers as it steps
      through
      > the G-code, but never shows a path, or completed shape. Does
      anybody else
      > use this successfully?
      >
      > Next, I'd like to do some text engraving. The MillMaster software
      has the
      > capability of doing this with simple calls to a "CHRSET" file. I
      can't run
      > this software, though. How are you guys doing text engraving, like
      > TrueType font to tool path?
      >
      > Finally, I'm interested in how folks are getting from CAD to CAM.
      I have a
      > 2D/3D CAD program, TurboCAD V9, that will output DXF files, plus a
      few
      > other formats. Is anyone else using TurboCAD? Any hints on
      getting to
      > tool paths from CAD? Since I'm already sunk a few hundred bucks
      into
      > TurboCAD, I'm reluctant to give up that expense and go over to
      Vector CAD

    • wanliker@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
        In a message dated 12/10/2003 4:22:12 PM Mountain Standard Time, penitent75@... writes:
        On AutoEdit
        Did you download the turorial??  Thye simulate process only works in the editing window, see page 4 of the tutorial.
        bill
      • mail@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2003
          Thanks for picking up the link on this for me Geert.  I apologize for putting out a post and not getting back to my email in time to deal with the replies.

          Mark
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2003
            Gang,

            To begin with, thanks for all the suggestions. I've downloaded
            DeskEngrave, the MicroTech CNC simulator, AceConverter, and CutViewer Mill.

            I haven't gotten anything that I've done in Deskengrave to look right in
            any of the CNC simulators. I don't see any help file for it, so

            I did get AutoEdit to simulate my sine wave cut by inserting my code into
            their template, and adding an instruction to get the mill to cut below zero.

            I like the looks of CutViewer, but since it's a $400 program, it's kind of
            near the bottom of the priority list. Microtech CNC is a little odd,
            wanting you to go back every so often for "petrol", but the demo that comes
            with it sure is impressive.

            All for now,
            Bob