Update on Unwanted Axis Moves.

  • Bruce Buchner
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      My problem with unwanted axis moves appears to be solved.
      Many thanks to all who submitted suggestions. I never would have
      solved without your help.

      There has been a long delay caused by my twice burning up the
      power chips in my Xylotex board. Many kudos to Jeff Pollard of
      Xylotex for his wonderful customer support. Lesson learned the hard
      way: When assembling microphone plugs to use on your motor cables
      make sure that the solder connections to the pins can't touch the
      outer metal sleeve on the plug. It kills that axis. Also don't
      swap
      the plugs around trying to determine if the problem is the cable or
      the board. The bad plug then kills more axii.

      I now have the board and the power supply in a metal box with
      two muffin fans for cooling. The shielded motor cables plug in using
      microphone plugs and are grounded to the box end of the cable and not
      the motor end. The printer port socket is insulated from the metal
      box so that the printer cable is only grounded to the desktop
      computer end. There must not be a ground path from the motor cable
      shielding to the printer cable ground.

      Someone suggested ensuring that the spindle motor and the
      computer be plugged into different electrical circuits that lead to
      different breakers at the main power panel. I did this and this
      appears to have solved the problem. If you are having problems with
      unwanted axis moves I would try this first. I never had a problem
      when I was using a laptop and someone pointed out that laptops
      don't use a grounded plug.

      I used it to resurface the steel vise jaw that it ate up when
      it went nuts the first time. I drove it hard and there were no
      unwanted movements at any spindle speed or load.

      I hope this can help anyone else with problems. Again, many
      thanks to all who helped.

      Bruce Buchner
    • zephyrus@rickadee.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2003
        At 03:53 PM 10/1/03 -0000, Bruce wrote:

        >The printer port socket is insulated from the metal
        >box so that the printer cable is only grounded to the desktop
        >computer end. There must not be a ground path from the motor cable
        >shielding to the printer cable ground.

        Thank you, thank you Bruce for this last piece of information. I was going
        crazy on my own random-step errors. I had meticulously wired my driver box
        with a proper star ground, termintated my stepper cable shields only at
        one end, put power entry module filters on both computer and driver box,
        used a shielded power cord (!) on my spindle motor, but still got
        intermittent steps on all 3 axes, on a General Controls driver setup,
        Camtronics, and Xylotex (all 3 boxes I have!)

        After your post, I insulated the DB25 socket on my Xylotex driver box, and
        the setup became rock-steady. I had not thought a bit about the (nice
        high-quality Belden) parallel cable shield causing a ground loop itself.

        Thanks again,

        Randy

        Randy Gordon-Gilmore ,----.___________ ______________ _________________
        ProtoTrains // = = === == || == == == = || == == == = == =|
        Rio Vista, CA, USA /-O==O------------o==o------------o==o-----------o==o-'
        zephyrus@... http://www.prototrains.com
      • Bruce Buchner
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
          Randy,

          I can't take the credit. Some body else suggested it in one of the
          many posts on my problem. I can't remember who our benefactor is
          without going through all the back messages but I'm sure he is
          reading this so thanks to you sir for both of us.

          I ran my unit heavily this weekend and it was perfectly steady. I
          just received the CNC conversion set for the lathe for my birthday so
          that is my next project. I may yet make the battleship gun barrels
          that I original bought all this for. (I got diverted to steam engines
          and PM Research machine tool models.)

          Bruce Buchner