Another new addict

  • paulzox
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2013
      Hello all I'm Paul and I am addicted to machining... Lol!New to the forum and interested in converting my 2000 mill to CNC and I'm looking for info. I am not against building my own controller as long as I can get some plans or does anyone know of a good one to start with? 4 AxisPaul
    • J. Alvarez
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2013
        Are you looking to save, or thoroughly be immersed in the process? Because it would make more sense to buy one already "designed-to-do-features" than it would be to dive in the abyss of making your own .....I was there...and it took me 3 months of collecting all sorts of parts that I "knew" would add functionality, but when it came to it..... I had no clue from the pc side and the learning curve was huge to the already big mountain of the software and G-code new language scenario. My 2 cents.....get the 800$ driver from sherline, that would do the 3+A(R) and be happy machining.

        And once you have time to replicate your cnc, then you can build your own to make sure you have the ability for proper limits and home switches ;-) (which unfortunately sherline doesn't accommodate very neatly) for now :-)

        Put pen to paper and let imagination roam free!
      • Andy M
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2013
          GDay paulzox,

          Paul, by far the easiest and most cost effective way to build a
          controller is to start with the Gecko G540. It's a 4 axis controller
          that has many nice features and a lot of people have tried to destroy
          them but have failed ... lol

          In other words they are bullet proof and will drive a set of steppers on
          your Sherline mill until the cows come home ... lol

          All you need then is a few switches, fuses, wiring and stuff and before
          you know it you will have a complete controller.

          There are kits available which contain most of what you need from places
          such as Homann Designs, Soigeneris, CNC4PC and so on, along with lots of
          nice goodies to go with them.

          Aside from that you will need the CNC conversion kit from Sherline. This
          includes stepper mounts, leadscrews, anti-backlash nuts and the like
          which will turn your Sherline into a new machine :)

          There are alternatives and upgrades available from A2Z CNC but they can
          get pretty expensive, but worth the money if you need them.

          For Software you will need Mach3 for the controller and some type of
          CAD/CAM program. Cambam, Dolphin Partmaster, BobCAD and many many others
          are available and they range from affordable to daylight robbery in price :)

          If you need more specific info just holler!

          --
          Regards
          Andy M

          paulzox@... wrote:
          > Hello all I'm Paul and I am addicted to machining... Lol! New to the
          > forum and interested in converting my 2000 mill to CNC and I'm looking
          > for info. I am not against building my own controller as long as I can
          > get some plans or does anyone know of a good one to start with? 4 Axis Paul
        • bruce_e_layne
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2013

            Most people here use Mach CNC software running under Windows and are very happy with it.  In the hobby end of CNC, I've even seen people say that you can start with other options but you'll probably end up with Mach.  It certainly has much to recommend it, but I use LinuxCNC and have found it to be very easy to configure, particularly for a simple stepper motor based system like we're discussing for a Sherline CNC machine.  You can download the free ISO and burn it to a CD or thumb drive and install it from there.  Run the StepConf program to tell it the number of steps per revolution for your motor (probably 200), the inches per turn of the lead screw (probably .05" for the Sherline, unless you got the metric version), etc.  Installing the operating system, CNC program, help files, web browser, etc., all at once, is a fast and easy way to get a system up and running.  At first, I'd take the bootable thumb drive to a Craig's List PC seller, boot from the read only media and run the latency test.  There's no rhyme or reason to which old PCs work well and which have latency problems, but there are "known good" LinuxCNC PC lists online.  A $100 or less used PC runs LinuxCNC just fine.  Lately, I just buy one of the several known good Intel Atom based PC boards and a 64GB solid state drive and compatible PC power supply and Logitech K400 wireless keyboard (doubles as a CNC pendant) and I'm good to go for about $200 or so, brand new.

            I've bought some Gecko drivers and they're top notch, but lately I've been going on eBay and buying the parallel port I/O interface, motors, drivers and DC power supply as a single kit from importers like Longs Motor, etc.  Search eBay for "NEMA 23 kit" and you'll see a lot of choices.  You can probably buy all of the motion control for $300 or so.  I prefer the versions with one stepper drive per axis.  They're a little more trouble to mount the three drivers and wire them, but if I ever blow one up (haven't yet!), I can quickly and cheaply replace the one drive for $40 or so rather than replacing all axes at once.

            Something like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/190649299152

            I recently bought the Sherline mini lathe in the CNC configuration and had it up and running in a total of 15 hours.  I could have done it MUCH faster if I wasn't so fussy about making it look pretty.  I did a lot of custom stuff like assembling a couple of cabinets (electrical panel and tool storage), assembling an aluminum frame, painting and drilling and tapping a plate of steel to securely mount the lathe, making a custom clear acrylic chip guard, etc.  It was a fun project.  I need to upload the 15 minute time lapse video that shows the 15 hour build.  There were no snags or complications.  Just bolt it together, wire it up, install the software and configure it (30 minutes?) and it's making chips.

            YMMV, but that's how I roll.

            ---In sherlinecnc@yahoogroups.com, <paulzox@...> wrote:

            Hello all I'm Paul and I am addicted to machining... Lol!New to the forum and interested in converting my 2000 mill to CNC and I'm looking for info. I am not against building my own controller as long as I can get some plans or does anyone know of a good one to start with? 4 AxisPaul
          • morerust
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2013

              Full disclosure - I represent www.PMDX.com

              Another option to consider is the new PMDX-340 controller.

              It sells for $387.00 ready to use out of the box.

              It works great with small machines like the Sherline and accepts

              commands from Mach3 using the parallel port or a SmoothStepper.

              It is bulletproof. Shorts and unplugging motors while power is on

              will not kill it. Connections are pluggable terminal strips with

              screw terminals.

              If you use Sherline's prewired unipolar motors, you will need to

              remove the shared center tap connection in the plug. This is

              also true for all bipolar drivers including Gecko.

              The Fall 2013 issue of Digital Machinist has an article in the

              Mechatronist column about converting a Micro Mill using the

              PMDX-340.

              Full details here: http://www.PMDX.com/PMDX-340

              Regards,
              Steve Stallings
              www.PMDX.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2013
                I have used many G540's and agree they are a great device. But you still
                need to put it in a box, with a power supply and a bit of wiring.

                I recently did a machine (Zen Toolworks router) for a fellow, and I used
                the new PMDX 340 control box. This has everything in a box, all you need
                to do is hook the motor wires into the terminal strip, plug in the power
                cord and its ready to run. It has several LED indicators on the front of
                the box that are very handy, and it has a motor test capability that
                lets you run the motors without any PC connected so you can isolate
                problems. All in one nice neat box and for $380.
                http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-340

                I have used several PMDX products and they have all been excellent.

                Although I am a mach3 fan, this box will run either mach or linux, it
                just needs a parallel port plugged into it.

                ron ginger

                > Posted by: "Andy M"trumpy81@... trumpy81
                > Date: Tue Nov 5, 2013 7:42 pm ((PST))
                >
                > GDay paulzox,
                >
                > Paul, by far the easiest and most cost effective way to build a
                > controller is to start with the Gecko G540. It's a 4 axis controller
                > that has many nice features and a lot of people have tried to destroy
                > them but have failed ... lol
              • paulzox
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2013
                  Thanks for all the information guys.What does everyone think about the hobbycnc pro chopper kit?Paul
                • jowhowho
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2013

                    Geckodrive G540 on Ebay, with power supply, for $299 + $14 shipping, ten available:

                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gecko-Drive-G540-4-axis-rev-8-and-Free-Power-Supply-CNC-STEPPER-PLASMA-ROUTER-/261177022537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccf5d1849

                    Hard to beat that.

                    I'm tempted, but I needed five drivers, so I have five Geckodrive 203v stepper drivers on a simple, big power supply. No fans, no enclosure. Simple simple. Love it. I put it on an old variac and can adjust the voltage on the motors. I can't think of any way to improve it.

                    Full disclosure -- I don't represent anyone, and I don't get discounts or free stuff.

                    --Justin

                    ---In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, <paulzox@...> wrote:

                    Hello all I'm Paul and I am addicted to machining... Lol!New to the forum and interested in converting my 2000 mill to CNC and I'm looking for info. I am not against building my own controller as long as I can get some plans or does anyone know of a good one to start with? 4 AxisPaul
                  • danieltbarber
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 7, 2013

                      Paul,

                      I assembled and used two 4-axis HobbyCNC controllers for several years.  The version I used was a predecessor to the current is Pro kit. They were easy to assemble and performed adequately. They use through hole components, which makes them easy to repair and Dave sells replacement parts for reasonable prices.  I thought that they were a good value.  Eventually, I migrated to using Gecko's G540 controllers and was amazed at the improved performance.

                      I have no affiliation with either firm and no complaints with either.  However, I have probably spent about $500 on "good value" controllers, including HobbyCNC and Xylotex.  I would be dollars ahead if I had just bit the bullet up front and bought a better designed controller, such as the G540.

                      Dave operates a HobbyCNC users group on Yahoo where you can get support. Before you decide to buy, I suggest that you checkout the HobbyCNC user group and review the types of questions/problems users are discussing.

                      Dan

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                        Okay I decided to get the 4 Axis Hobbycnc pro kit. It includes everything I need and I'm going to document the build for my capstone project. So I get a double whammy for one.
                      • David Lorenz
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 14, 2013

                          I just finished a PC to dedicate to my Sherline 4100 Lathe, woohoo! It’s a Frankenstein made from three old pc’s but it turned out REALLY well. It’s a Dell 2350 (found on roadside dead) the case was perfect and motherboard was good so I chose it for the ‘base’ platform and filled it with parts from the ‘heap’! It is the true Pentium 4 model (not a Celeron) 1.8 GHz single core with 500 Megs of ram and a 40 gig IDE hard drive. I just sings along with a fresh install of XP Pro and a Linux CNC partition.

                          I’ve always wanted to try Linux CNC (formerly EMC2) and have looked at and played with it (studied) it many times but this is the first time I’ve finally been able to test it on a machine. I must say it seems a bit faster and smoother than Mach3. Bit strange to get used to though and a quirk causes me to have to press the e-stop button (physical) then the reset button (on screen red power button) then release the e=stop. This is required to activate the charge pump output for my BOB (C11G). I read that there is a way to modify the INI file to ‘fix’ this??  It also appears that backlash compensation must be done in the INI file as well (Backlash=x.xxxx) , though I don’t know how to fix either one yet. Also PWM is being a real monster as it was in Mach3. What settings do you Linux guys use for Base frequency and other tips for calibrating PWM? I never did get good power curves in Mach with PWM either so I’ve told it to use Step\Dir spindle control with ‘DIR’ routed to a false pin on a false port(2), works a treat and very accurate.

                          If I work out these few little issues it may well be Mach3 for Mill and Linux CNC for the lathe!

                          Still trying to get Partmaster lathe working with Mach3, no luck yet (all arcs are crazy spirals), anyone willing to share a working post, and maybe a small sample file?? How about a Post for Linux CNC??

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 14, 2013
                            The post for Sherline and emc2 is easy. You can download it directly
                            from Sherline. You might have to make a minor change or two. For
                            instance, their version does not support limit switches. However, emc2
                            has provisions for all sorts of stuff right out of the box.

                            Tom Wade
                            Hope, Indiana

                            On 11/14/2013 3:03 AM, David Lorenz wrote:

                            > I just finished a PC to dedicate to my Sherline 4100 Lathe, woohoo!
                            > It’s a Frankenstein made from three old pc’s but it turned out REALLY
                            > well. It’s a Dell 2350 (found on roadside dead) the case was perfect
                            > and motherboard was good so I chose it for the ‘base’ platform and
                            > filled it with parts from the ‘heap’! It is the true Pentium 4 model
                            > (not a Celeron) 1.8 GHz single core with 500 Megs of ram and a 40 gig
                            > IDE hard drive. I just sings along with a fresh install of XP Pro and
                            > a Linux CNC partition.
                            >
                            > I’ve always wanted to try Linux CNC (formerly EMC2) and have looked at
                            > and played with it (studied) it many times but this is the first time
                            > I’ve finally been able to test it on a machine. I must say it seems a
                            > bit faster and smoother than Mach3. Bit strange to get used to though
                            > and a quirk causes me to have to press the e-stop button (physical)
                            > then the reset button (on screen red power button) then release the
                            > e=stop. This is required to activate the charge pump output for my BOB
                            > (C11G). I read that there is a way to modify the INI file to ‘fix’
                            > this?? It also appears that backlash compensation must be done in the
                            > INI file as well (Backlash=x.xxxx) , though I don’t know how to fix
                            > either one yet. Also PWM is being a real monster as it was in Mach3.
                            > What settings do you Linux guys use for Base frequency and other tips
                            > for calibrating PWM? I never did get good power curves in Mach with
                            > PWM either so I’ve told it to use Step\Dir spindle control with ‘DIR’
                            > routed to a false pin on a false port(2), works a treat and very
                            > accurate.
                            >
                            > If I work out these few little issues it may well be Mach3 for Mill
                            > and Linux CNC for the lathe!
                            >
                            > Still trying to get Partmaster lathe working with Mach3, no luck yet
                            > (all arcs are crazy spirals), anyone willing to share a working post,
                            > and maybe a small sample file?? How about a Post for Linux CNC??

                          • David Lorenz
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 14, 2013

                              Are you talking about a Partmaster Lathe post? Also have you had any luck with Linux CNC and PWM. I’ve tried numbers from 25 to 25000 in the PWM frequency and can’t find anything that works well. If I can solve this and get a spindle speed display I may choose it over Mach3 for my lathe control. Mine is a straight forward setup using a C11g Breakout board, Sherline Spindle\KBIC.

                              The post for Sherline and emc2 is easy. You can download it directly
                              from Sherline. You might have to make a minor change or two. For
                              instance, their version does not support limit switches. However, emc2
                              has provisions for all sorts of stuff right out of the box.

                              Tom Wade
                              Hope, Indiana

                              On 11/14/2013 3:03 AM, David Lorenz wrote:

                              > I just finished a PC to dedicate to my Sherline 4100 Lathe, woohoo!
                              > It’s a Frankenstein made from three old pc’s but it turned out REALLY
                              > well. It’s a Dell 2350 (found on roadside dead) the case was perfect
                              > and motherboard was good so I chose it for the ‘base’ platform and
                              > filled it with parts from the ‘heap’! It is the true Pentium 4 model
                              > (not a Celeron) 1.8 GHz single core with 500 Megs of ram and a 40 gig
                              > IDE hard drive. I just sings along with a fresh install of XP Pro and
                              > a Linux CNC partition.
                              >
                              > I’ve always wanted to try Linux CNC (formerly EMC2) and have looked at
                              > and played with it (studied) it many times but this is the first time
                              > I’ve finally been able to test it on a machine. I must say it seems a
                              > bit faster and smoother than Mach3. Bit strange to get used to though
                              > and a quirk causes me to have to press the e-stop button (physical)
                              > then the reset button (on screen red power button) then release the
                              > e=stop. This is required to activate the charge pump output for my BOB
                              > (C11G). I read that there is a way to modify the INI file to ‘fix’
                              > this?? It also appears that backlash compensation must be done in the
                              > INI file as well (Backlash=x.xxxx) , though I don’t know how to fix
                              > either one yet. Also PWM is being a real monster as it was in Mach3.
                              > What settings do you Linux guys use for Base frequency and other tips
                              > for calibrating PWM? I never did get good power curves in Mach with
                              > PWM either so I’ve told it to use Step\Dir spindle control with ‘DIR’
                              > routed to a false pin on a false port(2), works a treat and very
                              > accurate.
                              >
                              > If I work out these few little issues it may well be Mach3 for Mill
                              > and Linux CNC for the lathe!
                              >
                              > Still trying to get Partmaster lathe working with Mach3, no luck yet
                              > (all arcs are crazy spirals), anyone willing to share a working post,
                              > and maybe a small sample file?? How about a Post for Linux CNC??

                            • Martin Dobbins
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                                Hi David,

                                I don't know anything about Partmaster, so I will leave that to someone else.

                                How are you measuring your spindle speed? You need to measure it accurately to get PWM working correctly because you need to scale the input to spindle performance at various voltages, see:

                                http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples/spindle.html

                                If I recall correctly frequency needs to be anything above 50Hz with 1KHz being ideal. Since I don't often recall correctly these days, please take that with a pinch of salt!

                                I suggest you might get a more comprehensive answer to controlling spindle speed with LinuxCNC if you post it over here (but do have a look first to see if your question has already been answered):

                                http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/index

                                Good luck, and if you get it working please tell us how you did it and what worked for you. Just to show you what is possible:

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEdk5EhLa54

                                Regards,

                                Martin

                                To: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com

                                addict    The post for Sherline and emc2

                                wrote:

                                > Hello all I'm Paul and I am addicted to
                                machining... Lol! New to the
                                > forum and interested in converting my 2000 mill to CNC
                                and I'm looking
                                > for info. I am not against building my own controller
                                as long as I can
                                > get some plans or does anyone know of a good one to
                                start with? 4 Axis
                                > Paul

                              • Tom Wade
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013
                                  To reinforce what Martin has said, I've found that the LinuxCNC forum
                                  are absolutely the best place to get authoritative answers on your
                                  LinuxCNC questions. Many of the moderators are the programmers who
                                  write and maintain the software.

                                  One caveat on these forums: These guys are sharp enough to recognize a
                                  question which indicates that you haven't done your homework in the
                                  documentation. Do your research first, and you'll be able to ask better
                                  questions, and you'll generally get an answer within 24 hours.

                                  Tom Wade

                                  On 11/15/2013 10:24 AM, Martin Dobbins wrote:

                                  > Hi David,
                                  >
                                  > I don't know anything about Partmaster, so I will leave that to
                                  > someone else.
                                  >
                                  > How are you measuring your spindle speed? You need to measure it
                                  > accurately to get PWM working correctly because you need to scale the
                                  > input to spindle performance at various voltages, see:
                                  >
                                  > http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/examples/spindle.html
                                  >
                                  > If I recall correctly frequency needs to be anything above 50Hz with
                                  > 1KHz being ideal. Since I don't often recall correctly these days,
                                  > please take that with a pinch of salt!
                                  >
                                  > I suggest you might get a more comprehensive answer to controlling
                                  > spindle speed with LinuxCNC if you post it over here (but do have a
                                  > look first to see if your question has already been answered):
                                  >
                                  > http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/index
                                  >
                                  > Good luck, and if you get it working please tell us how you did it and
                                  > what worked for you. Just to show you what is possible:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEdk5EhLa54
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Martin
                                  > On Thu, 11/14/13, David Lorenz wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Subject: RE: [SherlineCNC] RE: Another new addict
                                  > To: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Date: Thursday, November 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
                                  >
                                  > Are you talking
                                  > about a Partmaster Lathe post? Also have you had any luck
                                  > with Linux CNC and PWM. I’ve tried numbers from 25 to
                                  > 25000 in the PWM frequency and can’t find anything that
                                  > works well. If I can solve this and get a spindle speed
                                  > display I may choose it over Mach3 for my lathe control.
                                  > Mine is a straight forward setup using a C11g Breakout
                                  > board, Sherline Spindle\KBIC.

                                • David Lorenz
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 15, 2013

                                    Thanks for the links, it’s always helpful to see that what you are trying to do others have done! As for measuring spindle speed, I have only my sherline DRO which is dead accurate for movement but way off for speed. I will order a handheld laser tach for this setup. I must say however that it seems like spindle setup should be much easier in both mach and linux cnc, with an index sensor both should be able to adjust the pwm to obtain desired speeds. Also Linux CNC (currently at version 2.5.3) should e mature enough to provide to simple stuff like an on screen spindle speed display without a bunch of linux programming. backlash compensation should be in ‘stepconfig wizard’  as it always needs to be set. As it is a new user learns that he must put the values into the ‘INI’ file manually. This works until you run ‘stepconfig’ again which wipes out your ‘INI’ changes….. Dooooooooooooooo! That being said I am well aware that LinuxCNC has a lot to offer under the hood if you are willing to dig in deep! I have seen it do AMAZING things and it runs very smoothly (especially arcs) on my little lathe.

                                    Any how I was hoping a Sherline\Linux CNC user would simply pipe up and say, I use XXX for my pwm frequency and xx for my speed 1 setting and xx for my control percentage etc.

                                    I know there must be others mixing Sherline\Emc2,C11g breakout borad,PWM

                                    At this early point PWM is the only thing I must solve to begin using Linux CNC, all my I\O and movements are tested and test cuts look perfect!