RE: RE: [SherlineCNC] Sherline Spindle control via SmoothStepper

  • kerickson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 19 7:57 AM

      Ron, Ken,

      Thanks for the link to the Soigeneris PDF.  I think I have everything set per the doc but I'm running my 2000 mill off of a new 14" laptop and the Smooth Stepper setup page is cut off at the bottom and there are no scroll bars for the page plus page 7 of the doc is very blurry making it hard to read.  So I plan to move my mill into my home office this weekend and attempt to get things working on my workstation system.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, <sherlinecnc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have mine working with the G540 and Smoothstepper. There are a number of software settings that need to be made for it to work.

      Have you read this article? http://www.soigeneris.com/Document/Gecko/Using_the%20Gecko_G540_VFD_Output.pdf

      Ken

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 20 9:29 AM

        I verified that I had the 3 wires for the spindle speed control wired correctly.

        New status display: PWM Bumped to minimum setting.

        What does that mean?  Do I have something configured wrong?

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 22 9:00 AM

          I've managed to get the spindle speed controller function working correctly.  The only question I have now is there a way to adjust/correct  for speed variances?

          For S1000 I'm reading 850 rpm

          For S2000 I'm reading 1830 rpm

          For S2800 I'm reading 2600 rpm

          I'm not concerned about the small difference in speed but I was wondering if there is a way to adjust Mach-3 to "fix" it?

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2013

              Assuming you have an index sensor tied to mach, try running the spindle calibration routine in mach. I had so many problems configuring PWM that I finally had a bright idea… I redirected my A axis step pin to the PWM control pin in ports and pins, then jogging the A axis (my fastest axis) manually I got a nice smooth ramp up to speed. Aha 1st clue. PWM just wants a stream of reliable pulses so… resetting Axis to normal I went back to spindle control and set it to Step\Dir. Note: you should route the dir pin to a false output such as port 2 pin 16 (if you have no port 2), and wahlah! It started working great, no more lag and stupid messages, although like you the speed was incorrect. After running spindle calibration it was quite good, running it again made it even better! Note: if you have set a minimum speed IE: minimum 400 maximum 3000, change it to minimum 0 before running the calibration, then when you are done and happy change it back. You want it to learn the full power curve! I only takes about 6 minutes to run this and it works amazing. My spindle speed is VERY close using this method now on both my Sherline 4100 lathe and my 2000 mill. Good Luck!