Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: G-Code Generation

  • Andy M
    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 5, 2013
      GDay Jeffrey,

      I agree with most of your points but Windows does destroy itself over
      time. This is particularly true of Windows XP. In fact Microsoft even
      alerted people to that fact in their documentation and recommended that
      it be reinstalled after a period of time.

      As you may or may not be aware, when running Windows XP, simply clearing
      the temp folder can have a big impact on it's overall performance. There
      are a number of reasons why that is so, but it was one of the first
      things I would do whenever I serviced a PC running XP.

      Apple software is rubbish in many ways, even today on the iPhone/iPad
      they still insist on doing something that was changed back in the 80's.
      They give duplicate filenames for images in email ... argggghhhhhh! That
      can be quite frustrating when trying to save the images on a PC or Linux
      box ... lol

      And a Mac generated web page displays fine in Safari, but not in any
      other browser, another failure to adhere to accepted standards.

      And iTunes on the PC at least is a disaster as well. I hate using it but
      when you have 6 iPods and an iPad in the house you don't have a lot of
      choice.

      The only saving grace with Mac OS is that you don't get as much crapware
      but even that is changing and so is the virus scene apparently.

      --
      Regards
      Andy M

      Jeffrey Birt wrote:
      > "Well, I mean to imply that Mac hardware is a lot better than the lower end
      > hardware used for the lower end machines of Windows. Midrange and above
      > Windows machines are nice things. But you still have that problem where
      > Windows gradually corrupts itself and fails while the hardware remains as
      > good as the day you bought it.
      >
      > If only Microsoft would fix their OS so that it wouldn't destroy itself over
      > time......"
      >
      > If your Mac hardware makes you happy then I'm happy for you, really. But
      > your statement about is a load of rubbish. I'm writing this on a low end HP
      > PC that I bought from Staples last year for less than $500. The PC it
      > replaced was about six years old (Asus barebones that I built) and cost
      > about the same. The old PC had a couple of larger HDs fitted and is now my
      > home server. The old server was a 10 year old low end HP. All of these PCs
      > have run 24/7 for years without a problem (except for the occasional reboot
      > after an install or a shutdown for a bad thunderstorm).
      >
      > None of these machines have been the latest and greatest HW available. They
      > have been low end to middle of the road. All have worked very well.
      >
      > Windows does not destroy itself over time, PC users destroy their PCs over
      > time. Sometimes it is not their fault, some software is crap, and installs
      > all sorts of services that refuse to go away unless you are computer savvy
      > enough to manually root them out. Interestingly ITunes and Quicktime fall
      > into this category, their phone-home update/license checking scheme will
      > cause a short duration bog down of the processor, any time sensitive
      > application will hiccup because of this (Adobe Acrobat Reader did this a few
      > years ago as well.) Then you add in the crapware that gets installed, etc.
      > and you wind up with a mess.
      >
      > Apple has their own issues and any user that can screw up a PC can also
      > screw up their Mac. Apples SW updates can also wreak havoc, the university I
      > work at has given up on Apple's Active Directory support as they screwed
      > things up so bad with every other update. The last straw was a bug that
      > locked Mac users out of their own computers. It took a hack and a good deal
      > of work just to allow users to log back into their own PCs. I have a friend
      > who has been a Mac user for years (and is a savvy person) who has had no end
      > of troubles with ICal screwing things up.
      >
      > Macs are OK, no better or worse than Windows PCs. The operators are
      > generally the weak link :)
      >
      > Jeff Birt
    • Mike Bauers
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 5, 2013
        This is getting to be a bit too much bickering.

        I'm on my 25th personal computer since 1980, and must have used over fifty versions of OS's over those years.I don't know how many different mainframes I've dealt with over the years or work computers.

        That's what colors my views. Never mind which OS or hardware I prefer to use.

        I was always able to repair, maintain, and enhance my relatives computers. I was glad I never had the like problems with my computers, even when we had very similar computers.

        One thing I've known for a long time is that Windows computers deal with a file according to the suffix or filetype that is attached to the name of the file. While Macs and Amigas went by the the embedded filetype identification you have in the first few characters of the file itself. Text handling on Windows needs an end-of-line hidden character and a carriage return hidden character at the end of each line while Amiga and Mac used just the end-of-line hidden character.

        It's a minor point. But it sure was a bit slick how the Amiga and Mac would correct PC text by removing the unneeded command code on the ends of the lines and if you were sending something to a PC. would add to the text the expected command codes.

        All I'm saying is that all computers work with minor changes between them and most any computer of a different make or OS can deal with files from another OS.

        Best to ya...
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi, USA