Re: [SherlineCNC] G-Code Generation

  • Shannon Haworth
    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 3, 2013
      My company lets users choose OSX, Windows or Linux laptops. I thought the
      mentality of 'my OS preference is better than your OS preference' had died
      long ago.

      I do things with my Mac and have thus far the operating system hasn't
      stopped me. I guess I need to try harder. Personally (and this really is
      a personal choice) I prefer OSX or Linux over Windows. However I keep a VM
      with Windows 7 installed, 'just in case'. In practice, I rarely use it. I
      use many native OSX applications, depending on my design needs (mechanical
      design, PCB design, modelling - mostly miniatures via molds).

      The real difference between the OSs is market penetration. They are all
      three very capable. In the CAD/CAM world Windows holds the lions share of
      the market, followed by Linux and finally OSX. However, there are plenty
      of high quality native OSX applications available.

      My setup: MacBook Pro, 16G ram, Intel 2.6Ghz Quad-Core I7 2.6 GHz, turbo
      boost to 3.7Ghz. Retina 15.4" display with a 2880 x 1800 resolution.

      But, back to the question at hand. Native OSX CAD-CAM options for a
      Sherline mill. I'm a CNC hobbyist, with a hobbyist budget, and I'll assume
      everyone else is as well. The following are packages that I use, or have
      used, with success. Most are free.

      My favorite CAD packages are freecad and openscad.
      http://www.freecadweb.org/
      http://www.openscad.org/

      For 2D / 2.5D design work, I really recommend inkscape.
      http://inkscape.org/download/
      As a bonus, inkscape has several plugins for g-code generation directly
      from inkscape.

      If you are designing PCBs, Eagle is my go-to.
      http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/
      Fritzing is gaining a lot of momentum lately:
      http://fritzing.org

      For 3D modelling software there are several options:
      My favourite is sketchup:
      http://www.sketchup.com/download
      There are gcode plugins for sketchup, however I export as stl and use pycam
      to generate gcode from sketchup.
      Blender is also very good:
      http://www.blender.org/
      There is a gcode generator for blender as well:
      http://www.blendercam.blogspot.com/
      Another comprehensive package is DAZ3D
      http://www.daz3d.com
      Again, I use pycam with DAZ3D.

      I use Tinker CAD for many of my 3D printing projects, I plan to try
      machining a design 'one of these days'.
      https://tinkercad.com/

      Now, for the CAM side of CAD-CAM. As mentioned, pycam is a very good
      choice for generating gcode from 3D models. I don't remember, but I
      believe it also does 2D/2.5D file formats such as DXF.
      http://pycam.sourceforge.net/

      I plan to evaluate QCAD/CAM, it looks to be a native OSX package with
      similar features to cambam. It may replace CAMBAM as my rapid prototyping
      tool.
      http://www.qcad.org/en/

      These are the native OSX software packages that I have used. They have
      proven to be stable and capable. Not included are the packages that I
      evaluated and found lacking for my needs or packages that are too expensive
      for my hobby budget.

      For real-time motion control I'm unaware of a OSX option. And frankly OSX
      isn't cost effective. Mach3 or LinuxCNC running on a surplus PC is the
      norm. I've been wanting to try something like
      http://labs.nortd.com/lasersaur/manual/driveboard since motion control
      doesn't really require a full-blown PC.

      Good luck!

      Shannon

      On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Garry Foster <gmfoster@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > What you missing is an operating system that can actually do something.
      > That is why there are no native answers, and I am sending this from an
      > apple device. But I don't try and cross the ocean in a car or the desert in
      > a boat. When you try and use a device the manufacturer doesn't allow for
      > the tools to do the job that is what you are doing. Your same question has
      > been asked for 10 -15 years now. I know the hardware is up to the job but
      > for whatever reason the tools are few to use Apple devices in this field. I
      > suspect cost enters in to this somewhere.
      >

      > Sent from Garry's iPhone
      >
      > On Jul 2, 2013, at 2:08 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:
      >
      > > On Jul 2, 2013, at 12:48 PM, Garry Foster <gmfoster@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Wine
      > >>
      > >> Sent from Garry's iPhone
      > >
      > > Mac OS X native, please´┐Ż I'm tired of updates, patches, emulations and
      > kludges.
      > >
      > > Or am I missing something?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > JB

    • Mike Bauers
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 5, 2013
        This is getting to be a bit too much bickering.

        I'm on my 25th personal computer since 1980, and must have used over fifty versions of OS's over those years.I don't know how many different mainframes I've dealt with over the years or work computers.

        That's what colors my views. Never mind which OS or hardware I prefer to use.

        I was always able to repair, maintain, and enhance my relatives computers. I was glad I never had the like problems with my computers, even when we had very similar computers.

        One thing I've known for a long time is that Windows computers deal with a file according to the suffix or filetype that is attached to the name of the file. While Macs and Amigas went by the the embedded filetype identification you have in the first few characters of the file itself. Text handling on Windows needs an end-of-line hidden character and a carriage return hidden character at the end of each line while Amiga and Mac used just the end-of-line hidden character.

        It's a minor point. But it sure was a bit slick how the Amiga and Mac would correct PC text by removing the unneeded command code on the ends of the lines and if you were sending something to a PC. would add to the text the expected command codes.

        All I'm saying is that all computers work with minor changes between them and most any computer of a different make or OS can deal with files from another OS.

        Best to ya...
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi, USA