Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: 8541 package questions - PMDX-340

  • Tom Wade
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 1, 2013
      This is a nice looking package that Steve has designed. Plan on using it
      in the future to run my Sherline, as the Sherline supplied driver has
      been a continual source of problems.

      Several things I like about this package.

      1. Steve has managed, it appears, to include all needed power supplies
      in one box, with the drivers.

      2. He's got activity lights for several functions. You can't imagine how
      handy these can be for troubleshooting. I had a loose or corroded
      parallel port connection once, which took me hours to find. The activity
      light would have narrowed down the problem in just a moment or two.

      3. An LED on the front panel which talks in error codes. This might be
      very handy at times.

      Tom Wade

      On 7/1/2013 10:03 AM, morerust wrote:

      > The new offering that Ron mentioned is the PMDX-340.
      >
      > http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-340
      >
      > It is a more full featured and robust driver package
      > at a more affordable price, but I must caution that
      > it is not quite plug and play with Sherline supplied
      > motors. The Sherline setup runs the motors as unipolar
      > and the PMDX-340 uses bipolar mode. To use it with
      > the Sherline motors you will need to remove the 5
      > pin DIN connectors and attach the wires to the PMDX
      > supplied plugs with the motors connected as half
      > winding bipolar motors.
      >
      > If you choose to supply your own motors, then you
      > can select Nema 23 motors rated at up to 3 amperes
      > and these are available from many sources at good
      > prices.
      >
      > Among the additional features gained by using the
      > PMDX-340 are a switched outlet to control the spindle
      > and inputs for home/limit switches and a probe input.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Steve Stallings
      > www.PMDX.com
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, Ron Ginger <ronginger@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I strongly agree with getting the Sherline mechanical package. I
      > made my
      > > own motor mounts before Sherline offered them, but when they came out I
      > > bought them. They are a fine, neat, well engineered offering.
      > >
      > > I also strongly agree to NOT get the Sherline stepper control. it was a
      > > poor design, very slow, very weak, when it was new 10 years or more
      > ago.
      > > It is now hopelessly out of date. The motors they offer are much weaker
      > > than most guys use.
      > >
      > > There is a new offering from PMDX.com of a single box with all the
      > > electronics in it. It has a power plug, a parallel port and screw
      > > terminals for the motors. Its about as easy to hook up as it could be.
      > > It will run either Mach or Linux equally well.
      > >
      > <snip>
      > > ron ginger

    • Gabe Pena
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 2013
        Thanks Jeff. So would I better off then with the smaller motor. The endgame here for me is to cut molds for highly detailed organic pieces that will be plastic injected. Much like what you see in 32mm wargamming pieces.