Re: 8541 package questions

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 28, 2013
      I have Sherline CNC lathes, mills, rotary tables, and stepper heads. I like Sherline. I do not like the Sherline/Mumford stepper driver.

      If you want to know about steppers and stepper drivers, look around on the web for anything that "Mariss Freimanis" says. He is the Guru behind Geckodrive. He knows his motors.

      I use my setup to make parts for restoring old scientific and mathematical instruments. Threads, knurls, gears, whatever is needed. Most of what I cut is leaded brass and leaded steel. I use very little CAD, and very little CAM. I hand code my G-code, and usually use the loops, conditionals, and subroutines that the LinuxCNC parser reads. Sometimes I even do some numerical methods in-line.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Gabe Pena <gp_illustrator@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Justin. The main reason that I'm going with the package is for simplicities sake. I work full time during the day and do freelance illustration after work, and with a wife and kids, free time is a precious commodity I don't have. Now it might seem like I'm rushing, but I've been researching, reading and asking questions about this stuff for about 4 years now, and without putting theory into practice, I'm not going to get anywhere. All the technical info and terminology starts becoming a blurred mess when it's just read and not really physically applied. I learn better by doing.
      >    I do recall people in this group doing detailed cutting with the sherline, which is what I want, detailed cuts/molds out of aluminum. No more than 1/2 an inch depth at the most. But if Geckos are better (which is what I've heard a lot of) I'd rather get those, but in all reality, how much is saved by buying in parts versus the complete kit which saves time? I'm all for saving money cause I know the cutting tools might be pricey, plus I'm not rich :).
      >    What do you use your set up for? Do you have pics you'd like to share?
      >
      > I appreciate all the advise given.
      >
      > Gabe
    • Gabe Pena
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 1, 2013
        Thanks Jeff. So would I better off then with the smaller motor. The endgame here for me is to cut molds for highly detailed organic pieces that will be plastic injected. Much like what you see in 32mm wargamming pieces.