Re: Tool Path Question

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2013
      You said you don't have CNC yet, so ramping in to a pocket is not easy for you. You could use a center cutting end mill to plunge, or you could drill one hole in each pocket.

      Even with a non center cutting end mill, you can plunge a teeny bit, mill a path longer than the radius of the mill, plunge a teeny bit, and mill back to the original position. Repeat as needed.

      You should stick some scrap on the mill and make chips.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@...> wrote:

      > Should I do something like use a twist drill to remove most of the
      > material and finish with an end mill?
      >
      > Tom Dean

    • Martin Dobbins
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2013
        Hi Tom,

        A drill will remove material faster than milling, so it depends on how much time you've got/want to spend on the project.  If you decide to mill it without drilling it a two flute endmill running at high spindle speeds with light cuts will be the best bet on a slot, the largest endmill that will fit in the slot and leave some room for finishing will work better than using something as small as 1/4 inch end mill.

        Martin

        ________________________________
        From: Thomas D. Dean

        I have to cut a 7/8 inch wide 20 degree arc through a 1 inch 6061 blank.
        I will mount the work piece on the rotary table with a 3/8 bolt
        through the center and 4 #10 screws and T nuts. I plan to use a 1/4
        inch end mill.

        Should I do something like use a twist drill to remove most of the
        material and finish with an end mill?

        Tom Dean

      • KM6VV
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2013
          You can certainly do it on a rotary table.

          You have CNC? Then you could just mill the pocket.

          A little more work (normally you have to calculate by hand unless you have a 4-axes CAD/CAM package) but you can just just mill the pocket, or if it's a through cut, do an internal contour, and then you don't have to hog out all the material when using a 1/4" endmill.

          You don't have to use the rotary table, the CAD/CAM program can calculate it for you.

          Without CNC or the CAD/CAM package (manual calcs), the rotary table will simplify the cuts. Even with CNC, I still use my rotary table to make flywheels and to trim the 5" disks (1/8" thick) that I make for my robots.

          I wouldn't use a twist drill to remove material, unless you are manually drilling stock. Twist drills are not made to cut on their sides, just straight down.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2013
            On 05/21/13 10:36, KM6VV wrote:
            > Without CNC or the CAD/CAM package (manual calcs), the rotary table will simplify the cuts.
            I do not have CNC, yet. I am waiting for an answer (3 working days,
            now) from Sherline on what parts I need to purchase for the upgrade.
            > I wouldn't use a twist drill to remove material, unless you are manually drilling stock.
            > Twist drills are not made to cut on their sides, just straight down.

            I know that. I was thinking of drilling holes through the material with
            a twist drill, be faster to remove lots of the material and would not be
            using an expensive end mill.

            Tom Dean
          • KM6VV
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2013
              I figured you might. I hate "cleaning up" the hole when I need to resort to that method. I just take it a little slower, and let the CNC do the job.