Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: GeoMagic/Alibre

  • Andy M
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2013
      GDay Brian,

      No Brian, with BobCAD and many plugins you produce the G-Code directly
      from the 3D model. You can use a 2D outline to produce G-Code also which
      helps sometimes with difficult parts that are hard to setup or simple parts.

      My work flow is mostly, build in Inventor, export part data to BobCAD
      and produce the G-Code.

      For simple parts, I build in Inventor, produce drawing and export as dxf
      then import that to BobCAD and produce the G-Code. In Inventor all
      drawings are taken directly from the 3D model. You can import all
      dimensions in one click too, but depending on the part, it can get
      pretty busy dimension wise, fortunately, you can also select which
      dimensions you want to keep and discard the ones you don't want. There
      is always the dimension tool though ;)

      I'm thinking of stepping up to BobCAD 25 as it has improved 4th axis
      machining. BobCAD 24 doesn't quite have 4th axis machining down, it can
      be difficult to get the G-Code right but in most cases it's doable.

      If anyone is interested, the last time I checked, Inventor cost $6000.00
      US but there is a FREE educational version available here:

      http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

      There are no limitations except that it cannot be used for commercial
      purposes. Also, any drawings produced have a reminder in the borders
      that you are using an educational version.

      Autodesk Inventor is also available on subscription, but I don't know
      what the costs are for that.

      --
      Regards
      Andy M

      Brian wrote:
      > > Jerry, I use Autodesk Inventor and BobCAD and Geomagic/Alibre is very
      > similar to Inventor. . . . you can make very clear and readable drawings
      > in no time at all. You can also transport your model/part data directly
      > to something like BobCAD and produce all your G-Code for CNC. . . .
      > -Andy M <
      >
      > Andy,
      >
      > Just looking for a clarification, please. When you say you can make
      > "clear and readable drawings in no time at all", you are talking about
      > translating your 3D drawing into 2D drawings from which your machine
      > code will come, correct?
      >
      > Or, are you talking about 3D machining?
      >
      > My path is drawing parts in AutoCAD 2D, re-drawing them precisely in 3D
      > to analyze assembly/fit, correct the 2D drawings if needed then proceed
      > to machine cutting. Is this what you do?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > -Brian Chapman
      > Evansdale, Iowa
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2013
        > No Brian, with BobCAD and many plugins you produce the G-Code directly from the 3D model. . . . My work flow is mostly, build in Inventor, export part data to BobCAD and produce the G-Code. -Andy M <

        Andy, thanks much for the further information.

        I use Vector Cad/Cam to generate G-code for FlashCut. I'll have to experiment, see what I can do similar to your process.

        Anyone here use Inventor > Vector > FlashCut? (I look forward to the day I'll have time to explore options for replacing Vector.)

        -Brian Chapman
        Evansdale, Iowa
      • toolznglue
        Message 3 of 11 , May 20, 2013
          On May 20, 2013, at 4:41 AM, SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Anyone here use Inventor > Vector > FlashCut? (I look forward to the day I'll have time to explore options for replacing Vector.)

          What issues are you having with Vector? And, what version of Vector are you using?

          Jerry Jankura
          So many toys…. So little time ….
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22, 2013
            >> Anyone here use Inventor > Vector > FlashCut? (I look forward to the day I'll have time to explore options for replacing Vector.) -Brian C. <<

            > What issues are you having with Vector? And, what version of Vector are you using? -Jerry Jankura <

            Jerry, hi,

            Vector CAD/CAM 9.6.052. I'm staying with Windows XP and have not done any version upgrading of software in some time. Everything works together, and I'm unaware that I need newer versions. (Vecto CAD/CAM 9.6.052, Photoshop 7, AutoCAD 2007, Inventor 10, FlashCut 2.1.4)

            IIRC, Vector CAD/CAM is of German origin. If so, it might explain why, imo, the manual is the worst I have ever encountered: dead ends, non sequiturs, often an inability to decipher what is meant in a certain passage, poorly indexed imo.

            The software operation is not similar to other software CAD programs with which I've worked; seems less intuitive, more primitive, imo.

            I'm not happy with the U.S. distributor. Maybe that's all I should say on that issue.

            I have Rhino 3D 3.0 (and Flamingo), but it seemed such a memory hog I didn't follow through with it. That was on a previous PC, though.

            -Brian Chapman
            Evansdale, Iowa