Re: [SherlineCNC] GeoMagic/Alibre

  • Andy M
    Message 1 of 11 , May 15 4:22 PM
      GDay toolznglue,

      Jerry, I use Autodesk Inventor and BobCAD and Geomagic/Alibre is very
      similar to Inventor.

      I would be lost without Inventor, it allows you to build your project
      right on the computer and from there you can visualise how you want your
      part to be and you can measure very precisely from just about any angle.

      Not only that, you can make very clear and readable drawings in no time
      at all. You can also transport your model/part data directly to
      something like BobCAD and produce all your G-Code for CNC. I believe
      there are some plugins for CAM available that run right in the Alibre
      window so you don't even have to swap programs to produce your G-Code.

      I don't know what you get for $200.00 but if it's a 10th of what is
      available in Inventor you'll be happy.

      I have used a very old version of Alibre (~2006), but I have no idea
      what they offer now. I have seen some nice models produced in Alibre
      though :)

      That's my 3&half cents worth. Inflation you know ;)

      --
      Regards
      Andy M

      toolznglue wrote:
      > Hi, Folks:
      >
      > A few days ago, I received an E-Mail from sherline extolling the virtues of GelMagic Design (formerly Alibre) and offering a package specially outfitted for Sherline owners. I've downloaded a 30 day evaluation copy and am trying to take the time to figure it out. In the mean time ---
      >
      > Is anyone using the Alibre Hobby (Personal) package with their Sherline equipment (I'm running EMC2 on my Sherline mill)? What's your opinion of the package? I'm already familiar with using IMS Vector CAD/CAM. Has anyone moved from Vector to Alibre? If so, where was the learning curve?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jerry Jankura
      > So many toys…. So little time ….
    • hcrotalus
      Message 2 of 11 , May 16 5:59 AM
        Good question.

        First let me say that I love Alibre. I came form SolidWorks and wanted something for personal use. Alibre fit the bill perfectly! I use it everyday. I even bought the CAM add on and now use it exclusively. That being said, I would personally STAY AWAY from Alibre. Why? Not because of there product. I think that it is good...no excellent for the money, but for their bushiness practices. After using their product for ~4 years I think that the company is not stable. I have come to rely on certain features that they remove from future products like the FEA add on from Autodesk (even though I paid for it) as well as no longer supporting the CAM add on. I think that this company is in such flux that they cant figure out what they want to do. I totally expect to see an email someday stating that there core product will no longer be supported and that the company is going off in some other direction. This recent name change just reinforces my concerns. I am staying with them only because I have money invested. If I was just staring out though....

        Thanks
        Todd

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, toolznglue <toolznglue@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Folks:
        >
        > A few days ago, I received an E-Mail from sherline extolling the virtues of GelMagic Design (formerly Alibre) and offering a package specially outfitted for Sherline owners. I've downloaded a 30 day evaluation copy and am trying to take the time to figure it out. In the mean time ---
        >
        > Is anyone using the Alibre Hobby (Personal) package with their Sherline equipment (I'm running EMC2 on my Sherline mill)? What's your opinion of the package? I'm already familiar with using IMS Vector CAD/CAM. Has anyone moved from Vector to Alibre? If so, where was the learning curve?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jerry Jankura
        > So many toys…. So little time ….

      • Ken Condal
        Message 3 of 11 , May 16 7:01 AM
          Hi Jerry,

          When I built my Orrery last year I upgraded from BobCad to Alibre Design
          Expert (although I'm no expert). I also purchased the built-in CAM package.

          The difference is night and day! With Alibre/GeoMagic, everything you draw
          is parametric (length, diameter, angle, etc.) so no matter what you draw,
          you can change it at any time and the changes ripple through the entire
          part. Draw two nested circles and extrude them into a tube. Don't like the
          wall thickness? Click on the inner circle and change its diameter and the
          entire extrusion changes. In BobCad and other similar packages you'd have to
          redraw the entire part.

          You can even create parameterized descriptions of an entire part. For
          example, once I had created a mathematical description of a gear all I
          needed to do was enter the number of teeth and Alibre would draw a perfect
          gear. Since the Orrery had 30+ gears, this was a real time saver. Yes, I
          know, some packages know how to draw gears but with Alibre you can use this
          technique to draw anything.

          As you're designing your parts you can import them into an Assembly where
          Alibre lets you precisely align them to one another in 3D space. This is
          where you can see how/if everything fits together and if the clearances all
          work. If there's a problem, change a parameter on a part.

          Of course, there is a learning curve, but consider the learning curve you
          dealt with when you got your first mill or lathe.

          3DSystems also makes the Cube and CubeX 3D printers and both come with a
          free copy of Alibre (probably the Hobby version). If you'd like to see the
          software in action, this link will take you to 5 videos for making 3D parts.

          http://cubify.com/products/cubify_invent/tutorial_1.aspx

          Ken

          Message 4 of 11 , May 16 7:55 AM
            Seems like a good deal, especially for the personal edition, but how much is that "dumbed down" from the professional or *gasp* expert edition?  It is worth looking at the differences to see if there is something missing that you must have, and watch out for "hidden extras" like annual fees in addition to the sticker price.

            Martin

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 11 , May 16 10:40 AM
              > Jerry, I use Autodesk Inventor and BobCAD and Geomagic/Alibre is very similar to Inventor. . . . you can make very clear and readable drawings in no time at all. You can also transport your model/part data directly to something like BobCAD and produce all your G-Code for CNC. . . . -Andy M <

              Andy,

              Just looking for a clarification, please. When you say you can make "clear and readable drawings in no time at all", you are talking about translating your 3D drawing into 2D drawings from which your machine code will come, correct?

              Or, are you talking about 3D machining?

              My path is drawing parts in AutoCAD 2D, re-drawing them precisely in 3D to analyze assembly/fit, correct the 2D drawings if needed then proceed to machine cutting. Is this what you do?

              Thanks!

              -Brian Chapman
              Evansdale, Iowa
            • Andy M
              Message 6 of 11 , May 16 2:56 PM
                GDay Brian,

                No Brian, with BobCAD and many plugins you produce the G-Code directly
                from the 3D model. You can use a 2D outline to produce G-Code also which
                helps sometimes with difficult parts that are hard to setup or simple parts.

                My work flow is mostly, build in Inventor, export part data to BobCAD
                and produce the G-Code.

                For simple parts, I build in Inventor, produce drawing and export as dxf
                then import that to BobCAD and produce the G-Code. In Inventor all
                drawings are taken directly from the 3D model. You can import all
                dimensions in one click too, but depending on the part, it can get
                pretty busy dimension wise, fortunately, you can also select which
                dimensions you want to keep and discard the ones you don't want. There
                is always the dimension tool though ;)

                I'm thinking of stepping up to BobCAD 25 as it has improved 4th axis
                machining. BobCAD 24 doesn't quite have 4th axis machining down, it can
                be difficult to get the G-Code right but in most cases it's doable.

                If anyone is interested, the last time I checked, Inventor cost $6000.00
                US but there is a FREE educational version available here:

                http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center

                There are no limitations except that it cannot be used for commercial
                purposes. Also, any drawings produced have a reminder in the borders
                that you are using an educational version.

                Autodesk Inventor is also available on subscription, but I don't know
                what the costs are for that.

                --
                Regards
                Andy M

                Brian wrote:
                > > Jerry, I use Autodesk Inventor and BobCAD and Geomagic/Alibre is very
                > similar to Inventor. . . . you can make very clear and readable drawings
                > in no time at all. You can also transport your model/part data directly
                > to something like BobCAD and produce all your G-Code for CNC. . . .
                > -Andy M <
                >
                > Andy,
                >
                > Just looking for a clarification, please. When you say you can make
                > "clear and readable drawings in no time at all", you are talking about
                > translating your 3D drawing into 2D drawings from which your machine
                > code will come, correct?
                >
                > Or, are you talking about 3D machining?
                >
                > My path is drawing parts in AutoCAD 2D, re-drawing them precisely in 3D
                > to analyze assembly/fit, correct the 2D drawings if needed then proceed
                > to machine cutting. Is this what you do?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > -Brian Chapman
                > Evansdale, Iowa
              • Brian
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19 11:54 AM
                  > No Brian, with BobCAD and many plugins you produce the G-Code directly from the 3D model. . . . My work flow is mostly, build in Inventor, export part data to BobCAD and produce the G-Code. -Andy M <

                  Andy, thanks much for the further information.

                  I use Vector Cad/Cam to generate G-code for FlashCut. I'll have to experiment, see what I can do similar to your process.

                  Anyone here use Inventor > Vector > FlashCut? (I look forward to the day I'll have time to explore options for replacing Vector.)

                  -Brian Chapman
                  Evansdale, Iowa
                • toolznglue
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20 6:38 AM
                    On May 20, 2013, at 4:41 AM, SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Anyone here use Inventor > Vector > FlashCut? (I look forward to the day I'll have time to explore options for replacing Vector.)

                    What issues are you having with Vector? And, what version of Vector are you using?

                    Jerry Jankura
                    So many toys…. So little time ….
                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 22 10:02 AM
                      >> Anyone here use Inventor > Vector > FlashCut? (I look forward to the day I'll have time to explore options for replacing Vector.) -Brian C. <<

                      > What issues are you having with Vector? And, what version of Vector are you using? -Jerry Jankura <

                      Jerry, hi,

                      Vector CAD/CAM 9.6.052. I'm staying with Windows XP and have not done any version upgrading of software in some time. Everything works together, and I'm unaware that I need newer versions. (Vecto CAD/CAM 9.6.052, Photoshop 7, AutoCAD 2007, Inventor 10, FlashCut 2.1.4)

                      IIRC, Vector CAD/CAM is of German origin. If so, it might explain why, imo, the manual is the worst I have ever encountered: dead ends, non sequiturs, often an inability to decipher what is meant in a certain passage, poorly indexed imo.

                      The software operation is not similar to other software CAD programs with which I've worked; seems less intuitive, more primitive, imo.

                      I'm not happy with the U.S. distributor. Maybe that's all I should say on that issue.

                      I have Rhino 3D 3.0 (and Flamingo), but it seemed such a memory hog I didn't follow through with it. That was on a previous PC, though.

                      -Brian Chapman
                      Evansdale, Iowa