Re: Mounting CNC Lathe and Vertical Mill Base

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2013
      Every machine shop I've been in had wooden benches so you wouldn't bang up parts and tooling. I don't see the fire hazard. If you must use metal, try 3/4" mic-6 aluminum tooling plates with rubber feet, for each machine. If you have to have a metal table, make it as thick as you can get, or bolt something with mass underneath.

      I've always had hardwood boards with rubber feet under my Sherline lathes and mills, but I've just gotten some 3/4" mic-6 for my 2000 mill so I can have alternate mounting positions for the column. My bench is 1-1/2" MDF.
    • yaginger
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2013
        A steel top can be a very nice place to stick a mag base indicator for setup and as a kind of 'DRO' for measuring actual movement, particularly good behind the lathe to accurately turn diameters.

        Any commercial grade metal top workbench ought to be fine. A wood base in a commercial shop would likely be a poor choice.

        ron ginger