Re: Sherline six pin stepper motor connector specification?

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2013
      I think it may be a "Japan Solderless Terminal" (JST) XHP-6

      Now I'm trying to figure out if this is just this manufacturer's version of a standard, or if they are the only source.

      I found one place where I could by 5000 of them really cheap. I need 10 or 20.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the effort! I may have to solder extensions onto the pigtails Sherline sells -- expensive, time consuming, and inelegant.
      >
      > I really want to have a single cable going from the motors to the hookup board -- three or four feet. Having a clunky five pin minidin connection right where it is most in the way (not a pun) just sucks. It makes tidy, robust cabling impossible.
      >
      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Sorry I need to learn to read for comprehension.
      > > The white connector on my motor looks to be a standard 6 pin 2.54mm spacing connector but with shorter pins. However the molex connector set (including the 6 pin connector) I have didn't fit so just connected to the 5 pin DIN connector instead for my hookups.
      > >
      > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > It's actually a 5 pin standard Circular DIN connector.
      > > > Examples here:
      > > > http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Connec\
      > > > tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
      > > > _-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw
      > > > <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
      > > > ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
      > > > -_-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw>
      > > >
      > > > While the sherline specification is here:
      > > > http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>

      > > > white, six pin connector. Does anyone know what these are officially
      > > > called? I want to make myself some longer (say three feet or so)
      > > > un-interrupted motor leads than come standard or from Sherline. So, what
      > > > do I buy? They'll be female, six pin, in-line/flat.

    • Paul C
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2013
        The 2.5mm spacing would explain why my molex connectors didn't fit. :)

        You can get XHP-6's at digikey US for $0.14 10 units or under or RS
        Components in UK (although not in stock until 4/30).

        Digikey also has the crimp pins although in two sizes. which one
        sherline uses I don't know.

        http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XHP-6/455-2218-ND/1651016?WT.z_\
        cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow
        <http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XHP-6/455-2218-ND/1651016?WT.z\
        _cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow>

        Look at the bottom of the page for the crimp pin numbers, one version is
        8000 buy another single pieces.

        Personally if you don't like connecting to the DIN connector I would
        snip the wires and solder your new cable directly to the sherline XHP-6
        connector. The size of the crimp pins are so small it could be very
        hard to add your new cable to them and crimp them correctly.

        \

        tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
        \

        <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
        \

        ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
        \

        <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>

        So, what

      • jowhowho
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2013
          Ah, many eyes! I didn't see the low quantity price break "part". Thanks!

          I was a multimedia integration "engineer" in a former life -- I can crimp and solder individual atoms.