Sherline six pin stepper motor connector specification?

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hi folks,

      The stepper motors that come with Sherline CNC systems have a flat, white, six pin connector. Does anyone know what these are officially called? I want to make myself some longer (say three feet or so) un-interrupted motor leads than come standard or from Sherline. So, what do I buy? They'll be female, six pin, in-line/flat.

      Thanks.
    • Paul C
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2013
        It's actually a 5 pin standard Circular DIN connector.
        Examples here:
        http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Connec\
        tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
        _-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw
        <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
        ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
        -_-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw>

        While the sherline specification is here:
        http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > The stepper motors that come with Sherline CNC systems have a flat,
        white, six pin connector. Does anyone know what these are officially
        called? I want to make myself some longer (say three feet or so)
        un-interrupted motor leads than come standard or from Sherline. So, what
        do I buy? They'll be female, six pin, in-line/flat.

        > Thanks.

      • Paul C
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2013
          Sorry I need to learn to read for comprehension.
          The white connector on my motor looks to be a standard 6 pin 2.54mm spacing connector but with shorter pins. However the molex connector set (including the 6 pin connector) I have didn't fit so just connected to the 5 pin DIN connector instead for my hookups.

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@...> wrote:

          > It's actually a 5 pin standard Circular DIN connector.
          > Examples here:
          > http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Connec\
          > tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
          > _-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw
          > <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
          > ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
          > -_-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw>
          >
          > While the sherline specification is here:
          > http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>
          >
          > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi folks,
          > >
          > > The stepper motors that come with Sherline CNC systems have a flat,
          > white, six pin connector. Does anyone know what these are officially
          > called? I want to make myself some longer (say three feet or so)
          > un-interrupted motor leads than come standard or from Sherline. So, what
          > do I buy? They'll be female, six pin, in-line/flat.
          > >
          > > Thanks.

        • jowhowho
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2013
            Thanks for the effort! I may have to solder extensions onto the pigtails Sherline sells -- expensive, time consuming, and inelegant.

            I really want to have a single cable going from the motors to the hookup board -- three or four feet. Having a clunky five pin minidin connection right where it is most in the way (not a pun) just sucks. It makes tidy, robust cabling impossible.

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@...> wrote:

            > Sorry I need to learn to read for comprehension.
            > The white connector on my motor looks to be a standard 6 pin 2.54mm spacing connector but with shorter pins. However the molex connector set (including the 6 pin connector) I have didn't fit so just connected to the 5 pin DIN connector instead for my hookups.
            >
            > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@> wrote:
            > >

            > > It's actually a 5 pin standard Circular DIN connector.
            > > Examples here:
            > > http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Connec\
            > > tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
            > > _-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw
            > > <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
            > > ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
            > > -_-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw>
            > >
            > > While the sherline specification is here:
            > > http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>
            > >
            > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi folks,
            > > >
            > > > The stepper motors that come with Sherline CNC systems have a flat,
            > > white, six pin connector. Does anyone know what these are officially
            > > called? I want to make myself some longer (say three feet or so)
            > > un-interrupted motor leads than come standard or from Sherline. So, what
            > > do I buy? They'll be female, six pin, in-line/flat.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.

          • jowhowho
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2013
              I think it may be a "Japan Solderless Terminal" (JST) XHP-6

              Now I'm trying to figure out if this is just this manufacturer's version of a standard, or if they are the only source.

              I found one place where I could by 5000 of them really cheap. I need 10 or 20.

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jowhowho" <jowhowho@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the effort! I may have to solder extensions onto the pigtails Sherline sells -- expensive, time consuming, and inelegant.
              >
              > I really want to have a single cable going from the motors to the hookup board -- three or four feet. Having a clunky five pin minidin connection right where it is most in the way (not a pun) just sucks. It makes tidy, robust cabling impossible.
              >
              > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Sorry I need to learn to read for comprehension.
              > > The white connector on my motor looks to be a standard 6 pin 2.54mm spacing connector but with shorter pins. However the molex connector set (including the 6 pin connector) I have didn't fit so just connected to the 5 pin DIN connector instead for my hookups.
              > >
              > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul C" <p_conti@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > It's actually a 5 pin standard Circular DIN connector.
              > > > Examples here:
              > > > http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Connec\
              > > > tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
              > > > _-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw
              > > > <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
              > > > ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
              > > > -_-Interconnects&gclid=CJf-usbRwrYCFUWK4AodSzMATw>
              > > >
              > > > While the sherline specification is here:
              > > > http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>

              > > > white, six pin connector. Does anyone know what these are officially
              > > > called? I want to make myself some longer (say three feet or so)
              > > > un-interrupted motor leads than come standard or from Sherline. So, what
              > > > do I buy? They'll be female, six pin, in-line/flat.

            • Paul C
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2013
                The 2.5mm spacing would explain why my molex connectors didn't fit. :)

                You can get XHP-6's at digikey US for $0.14 10 units or under or RS
                Components in UK (although not in stock until 4/30).

                Digikey also has the crimp pins although in two sizes. which one
                sherline uses I don't know.

                http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XHP-6/455-2218-ND/1651016?WT.z_\
                cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow
                <http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XHP-6/455-2218-ND/1651016?WT.z\
                _cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow>

                Look at the bottom of the page for the crimp pin numbers, one version is
                8000 buy another single pieces.

                Personally if you don't like connecting to the DIN connector I would
                snip the wires and solder your new cable directly to the sherline XHP-6
                connector. The size of the crimp pins are so small it could be very
                hard to add your new cable to them and crimp them correctly.

                \

                tors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-\
                \

                <http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Circular-Connectors/Circular-DIN-Conne\
                \

                ctors/_/N-76q5g?P=1yzvtn8Z1yzxfx2Z1z0y5p4&cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas\
                \

                <http://www.sherline.com/8760pg.htm>

                So, what

              • jowhowho
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 12, 2013
                  Ah, many eyes! I didn't see the low quantity price break "part". Thanks!

                  I was a multimedia integration "engineer" in a former life -- I can crimp and solder individual atoms.