RE: [SherlineCNC] Quick Help on Installation -

  • Joseph L. Gelsomino
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5 7:14 AM
      You should be able to do a fresh install and have it wipe the drive clean
      for you. I just done it on a drive that I have as a spare that had windows
      on it. Just follow the install and you will see that you can have it wipe
      the drive clean for you. And like what was said don't do the update, I did
      it and it crash and I had to do it all over again.

      Wacko

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 9:11 AM
        GDay Shrinivas,

        As others have stated, it is best to install the OS as well as EMC2
        (LinuxCNC) at the same time.

        If you have enough drive space, you can partition the drive and install
        Ubuntu and EMC2 on the second partition. You can then use grub or
        similar to dual boot into Redhat or Ubuntu.

        The warnings about NOT updating Ubuntu and EMC2 (LinuxCNC) should be
        adhered to.

        --
        Regards
        Andy M

        Shrinivas Kuber wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I have purchased the kit for Lathe and have Old Computer for which Linux
        > is installed.
        >
        > Questions - Unable to install the software on Linux, ? Which file to
        > install ?
        >
        > Also,
        > is it mandatory to have BOOT from CD to kick off the installation on Liunx ?
        >
        > Thanks
      • flosi2001
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8 10:23 PM
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Andy M <trumpy81@...> wrote:

          > GDay Shrinivas,
          >
          > As others have stated, it is best to install the OS as well as EMC2
          > (LinuxCNC) at the same time.
          >
          > If you have enough drive space, you can partition the drive and install
          > Ubuntu and EMC2 on the second partition. You can then use grub or
          > similar to dual boot into Redhat or Ubuntu.
          >
          > The warnings about NOT updating Ubuntu and EMC2 (LinuxCNC) should be
          > adhered to.
          >
          > --
          > Regards
          > Andy M

          Hi,

          Said warnings have been removed some time ago, as of version 2.50. It is now perfectly ok to let the system update as long as you don't update to a newer version of the operating system.

          Regards,

          Flosi