Re: [SherlineCNC] Re:Disengaging motors from Gecko Driver....

  • Sam Marrocco
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
      On 4/3/2013 7:23 AM, Ron Ginger wrote:

      > Pin 10 of the g540 is an enable signal. The drive will only work when it
      > is grounded. To disable the motors simply add a switch to unground the
      > pin and the motors are electrically disconnected from the drive.

      That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for....looking closely, that
      is the E-Stop pin? So effectively, hit the E-Stop and the motors can be
      used manually with no electrical "repercussions" to the motors or the
      G540. Even better, the power is left on during operations. Then it is up
      to me to remember that I've moved motors and that they will need to be
      re-homed. Adding some homing/limit switches is next on my todo list.

      > It is OK to turn the motors without doing this, you will not hurt the
      > motors, and unless you can crank very fast you will not feel a drag on
      > the cranks.

      I assume you mean this "while the G540 power is off" since it is not
      possible to move the motors with the power on without doing this.

      > Mach supports many forms of joysticks, MPGs, and other hand controls to
      > drive the motors. My favorite is the Shuttle which is a spring loaded
      > handwheel that gives very smooth motion and nice 'feel' I often do
      > roughing cuts to face off stock by just hand feeding with the shuttle.

      I have a Griffin knob that I was using for a Quicktime player that I
      wrote.....it is pretty useful and I will try it on the Mill. The only
      detriment I see with an external pot like that is the lake of tactile
      feeback.

      Sam Marrocco
      Chief Technical Officer
      248-548-2500 Main
      248-910-3344 Cell

      "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

      RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
      http://www.ringsidecreative.com

      Find us on Facebook.

    • intenselymellow
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
        It is possible to crank steppers with the driver's powered and
        activated, it's just not easy. It's MUCH easier to crank 'em with the
        power of. But cranking them generates back EMF. Not enough to harm
        the drivers, but easily enough to feed them enough power to "fight"
        you. So disabling is vastly superior to simply powering off.

        That said, this "E-stop" thing should work but is a bit less than
        ideal. In theory E-stop is for emergencies and isn't really for
        day to day configuration. Genuine "E-stop" is supposed to do a lot
        more than just disalbe the drivers. That aside, it's much better
        to have individual axis control rather than global axis control.
        As has been noted elsewhere you can lose up to two steps in position
        disabling an axis and re-enabling it (though generally only if you
        move it). And they make handy locks if you only want to move one
        axis, etc.

        I have only ever wired up G203's single axix drivers and Xylotex 3
        and 4 axis drivers, which break out each enable seperately. In each
        case it was simple to enable/disable each axis. I can see that each
        G250 on the G540 has an individual enable. But it seems that these
        have all been tied together on the G540 backplane.

        If you wanted to wire each axis seperately you could break the
        connection on the G540 and control each G250 seperately. Using
        a few diodes it's not to hard to create sepperate and global
        controls.

        If you don't want to tear into the G540... You should be able to
        simply short the current set resistor. Since an open there equals
        max current 0 ohms SHOULD equal 0 current and disabled. Though, by
        all means, check with Mariss at Gecko first. Assuming this works
        individual enables would be pretty easy to wire up. I'm not sure
        how you'd do a global disable though, unless you use the "E-stop."

        Good luck

        Jeff

        On Wed, April 3, 2013 8:34 am, Sam Marrocco wrote:

        > On 4/3/2013 7:23 AM, Ron Ginger wrote:
        >>

        >> Pin 10 of the g540 is an enable signal. The drive will only work when it
        >> is grounded. To disable the motors simply add a switch to unground the
        >> pin and the motors are electrically disconnected from the drive.
        >>

        > That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for....looking closely, that
        > is the E-Stop pin? So effectively, hit the E-Stop and the motors can be
        > used manually with no electrical "repercussions" to the motors or the
        > G540. Even better, the power is left on during operations. Then it is up
        > to me to remember that I've moved motors and that they will need to be
        > re-homed. Adding some homing/limit switches is next on my todo list.
        >

        >> It is OK to turn the motors without doing this, you will not hurt the
        >> motors, and unless you can crank very fast you will not feel a drag on
        >> the cranks.
        >>

        > I assume you mean this "while the G540 power is off" since it is not
        > possible to move the motors with the power on without doing this.
      • cnc sales
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2013
          I havent tried a G540, but i routinely enable /disable the x on my
          lathe, with a G203V, or the Z, with a servo G320.

          --
          -hanermo