Quick Help on Installation -

  • Shrinivas Kuber
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hi,
      I have purchased the kit for Lathe and have Old Computer for which Linux is installed.

      Questions - Unable to install the software on Linux, ? Which file to install ?

      Also,
      is it mandatory to have BOOT from CD to kick off the installation on Liunx ?

      Thanks

    • Martin Dobbins
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
        Hi Shrinivas,

        It is easiest to install Linux CNC along with the Linux OS (operating system) install rather than add it later.  Instructions to get the operating system with Linux CNC already built in are here:

        http://www.linuxcnc.org/

        Linux CNC will work best with the versions of Linux OS it comes packaged with, Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04.

        Yoou can always boot Linux from a CD but you don't have to if you chose to install the software-it should then boot automatically without the CD.

        Martin

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
          Hi ,Friends,

          Thanks Martin,

          On my home computer , I have got Linux Red Hat 2.6.18 installed.
          I am trying to Install the EMC Software on this, using Add/Remove Software.

          Is that correct ?

          I have Ubantu EMC2 Install CD Verion 6.0 with me.

          Thanks
          Kuber.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
            No. Don't know how to remove the Red Hat, but if you start with a clean
            machine, with NO operating system installed, the EMC installation disc
            will install the proper operating system, and install EMC2 also. Do NOT
            ever use the system update feature to update the Linux. You're using a
            special version of Linux, and updating it will remove all the special,
            realtime features that EMC2 depends on.

            Tom Wade

            On 4/5/2013 9:41 AM, Shrinivas Kuber wrote:

            > Hi ,Friends,
            >
            > Thanks Martin,
            >
            > On my home computer , I have got Linux Red Hat 2.6.18 installed.
            > I am trying to Install the EMC Software on this, using Add/Remove
            > Software.
            >
            > Is that correct ?
            >
            > I have Ubantu EMC2 Install CD Verion 6.0 with me.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Kuber.
            >
            > --- On Mon, 4/1/13, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...
            > <mailto:trainnutz%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
            >
            > From: Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@... <mailto:trainnutz%40yahoo.com>>
            > Subject: Re: [SherlineCNC] Quick Help on Installation -
            > To: "SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>" <SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>>
            > Date: Monday, April 1, 2013, 12:00 PM
            >
            > Hi Shrinivas,
            >
            > It is easiest to install Linux CNC along with the Linux OS (operating
            > system) install rather than add it later. Instructions to get the
            > operating system with Linux CNC already built in are here:
            >
            > http://www.linuxcnc.org/
            >
            > Linux CNC will work best with the versions of Linux OS it comes
            > packaged with, Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04.
            >
            > Yoou can always boot Linux from a CD but you don't have to if you
            > chose to install the software-it should then boot automatically
            > without the CD.
            >
            > Martin
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Joseph L. Gelsomino
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
              You should be able to do a fresh install and have it wipe the drive clean
              for you. I just done it on a drive that I have as a spare that had windows
              on it. Just follow the install and you will see that you can have it wipe
              the drive clean for you. And like what was said don't do the update, I did
              it and it crash and I had to do it all over again.

              Wacko

              No. Don't know how to remove the Red Hat, but if you start with a clean
              machine, with NO operating system installed, the EMC installation disc will
              install the proper operating system, and install EMC2 also. Do NOT ever use
              the system update feature to update the Linux. You're using a special
              version of Linux, and updating it will remove all the special, realtime
              features that EMC2 depends on.

              Tom Wade

              On 4/5/2013 9:41 AM, Shrinivas Kuber wrote:

              > Hi ,Friends,
              >
              > Thanks Martin,
              >
              > On my home computer , I have got Linux Red Hat 2.6.18 installed.
              > I am trying to Install the EMC Software on this, using Add/Remove
              > Software.
              >
              > Is that correct ?
              >
              > I have Ubantu EMC2 Install CD Verion 6.0 with me.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Kuber.
              >
              > --- On Mon, 4/1/13, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...
              > <mailto:trainnutz%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              >
              > From: Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...
              > <mailto:trainnutz%40yahoo.com>>
              > Subject: Re: [SherlineCNC] Quick Help on Installation -
              > To: "SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>" <SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>>
              > Date: Monday, April 1, 2013, 12:00 PM
              >
              > Hi Shrinivas,
              >
              > It is easiest to install Linux CNC along with the Linux OS (operating
              > system) install rather than add it later. Instructions to get the
              > operating system with Linux CNC already built in are here:
              >
              > http://www.linuxcnc.org/
              >
              > Linux CNC will work best with the versions of Linux OS it comes
              > packaged with, Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04.
              >
              > Yoou can always boot Linux from a CD but you don't have to if you
              > chose to install the software-it should then boot automatically
              > without the CD.
              >
              > Martin
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Andy M
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
                GDay Shrinivas,

                As others have stated, it is best to install the OS as well as EMC2
                (LinuxCNC) at the same time.

                If you have enough drive space, you can partition the drive and install
                Ubuntu and EMC2 on the second partition. You can then use grub or
                similar to dual boot into Redhat or Ubuntu.

                The warnings about NOT updating Ubuntu and EMC2 (LinuxCNC) should be
                adhered to.

                --
                Regards
                Andy M

                Shrinivas Kuber wrote:
                > Hi,
                > I have purchased the kit for Lathe and have Old Computer for which Linux
                > is installed.
                >
                > Questions - Unable to install the software on Linux, ? Which file to
                > install ?
                >
                > Also,
                > is it mandatory to have BOOT from CD to kick off the installation on Liunx ?
                >
                > Thanks
              • flosi2001
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Andy M <trumpy81@...> wrote:

                  > GDay Shrinivas,
                  >
                  > As others have stated, it is best to install the OS as well as EMC2
                  > (LinuxCNC) at the same time.
                  >
                  > If you have enough drive space, you can partition the drive and install
                  > Ubuntu and EMC2 on the second partition. You can then use grub or
                  > similar to dual boot into Redhat or Ubuntu.
                  >
                  > The warnings about NOT updating Ubuntu and EMC2 (LinuxCNC) should be
                  > adhered to.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Regards
                  > Andy M

                  Hi,

                  Said warnings have been removed some time ago, as of version 2.50. It is now perfectly ok to let the system update as long as you don't update to a newer version of the operating system.

                  Regards,

                  Flosi