Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: Motors difficult to turn by hand?

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
      On 3/26/2013 8:16 AM, Joseph L. Gelsomino wrote:

      > I am using the Mach 3. I can get it to show movement in the run window but
      > the motors do not move. I tested with a meter and I am not getting a good
      > read (0.04 was the highest ). So it is the port. I can't change the port
      > settings in the bios, it is either on or off, there is no setting to
      > change
      > to EPP or ECP. So if I am right I need a parallel port that works.
      >
      > Wacko

      > No virus found in this message.

      I second the suggestion you go to the Mach forum for quick answers.
      That said, make sure the correct port address is entered in Mach3. Then
      make sure the port and pins are set correctly.
      This is not plug and play. You need to read the manual and configure
      each parameter for it to work correctly.

      --

      Ron Thompson

      Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

      http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

    • intenselymellow
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
        Sorry for the late reply...

        I should have added that I have sepparate switches on each axis to
        enable or disable them independently. That makes a whole lot of
        difference. Even relatively slow cranking with the driver "off"
        can generate enough back EMF to semi-power driver and make cranking
        really hard. Disabling them makes quite a difference.

        True, moving the steppers manually can put you off by as much as two
        steps when you switch the drivers back on. But on average it's more
        like 1 step. Given 200 step per rev steppers on my .050 per rev
        screw that's (theoretically) .00025 per step and a deviation of
        at most a half thou, more likely much less, which for most work is
        silly talk anyway. Though that would be different if you're using
        5 TPI screws...

        I suppose I shouldn't have said "micro-position." That's misleading.
        What I meant was I'm a lot more comfortable delicately sneaking up on
        locations slowly, carefully and manually and by feel. My "finger
        memory" for turning the hand wheels is very reliable and the tactile
        feedback helps. My "finger memory" for those shift-alt-control cursor
        keys is much les reliable. Which is, o course, my own fault. Slowing
        things down doesn't help much because once you've hit the wrong key
        (or the right one with the wrong modifier) the part or tool is likely
        ruined before realize there's a problem, let alone hit the E-stop.

        MDI is the other thorn in my side. I still use it all the time. Love
        it. But if I had a dime for every time I pressed "cursor up" to scroll
        back through the history and moved the table instead... Sigh.

        No pleasing some people, eh? :)

        Anyway I see where you're coming from. My point was simply that
        some people really do use the hand wheels on CNC'd machines for
        any number of reasons.

        Jeff