Re: [SherlineCNC] looking for complete CNC package

  • Shannon Haworth
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
      I have to agree with Tom on every point. Linuxcnc (formally EMC2) provides
      a nice push-button interface and isn't difficult to use at all. I've heard
      that the version packaged with the Sherline mills is woefully out of date
      however, for the latest go directly to linuxcnc.org. Even if you pick up
      the 'turnkey' version from Sherline.

      On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
      >
      > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
      > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
      > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
      > or three hours.
      >
      > Tom Wade
      >

      > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
      > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
      > > there any
      > > Windows based software solutions?
      > >
      > > Pat

    • scott102006
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

        > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
        >
        > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
        > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
        > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
        > or three hours.
        >
        > Tom Wade
        >

        > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
        > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
        > > there any
        > > Windows based software solutions?
        > >
        > > Pat

        I have my complete mill setup for sale on eBay with very little use. I run Mach3 on Windows Vista, everything is included, it's a turn key setup.

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/160995686727?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
      • PatB
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
          I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
          can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
          otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
          myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.

          I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
          save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
          may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
          supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
          choices.

          I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
          products that have been recommended.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
            Hi Pat,

            If you do plan to put a controller together, have a look at this wiring
            diagram. It shows what is involved when wiring up a Gecko G540 based
            controller. Keep in mind that the diagram is an example of a full featured
            controller and that you don't need to wire up the parts that you don't intend
            to use, say a touch probe or home switches.

            http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

            I also have kit of the major components needed to build your own controller as
            well.

            Cheers,

            Peter

            On 27/03/2013 4:54 AM, PatB wrote:
            > I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
            > can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
            > otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
            > myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.
            >
            > I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
            > save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
            > may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
            > supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
            > choices.
            >
            > I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
            > products that have been recommended.
            >
            > Pat

            eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
            Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
            email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
            Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board