Re: looking for complete CNC package

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25 11:40 PM
      Pat,

      Some people like the process of building the tool as much as using it. It sounds like you want to get to rocketry.

      I advise you to get a cnc ready Sherline, a Gecko, and Mach.

      Sherline's controller has problems and has virtually no support, Gecko is great with the best support.

      EMC/linux is what I use, but I'm a masochist, Mach 3 is not free, but is much better in the support area.

      At the very least, this should be one of your baseline configuration as you shop around.
    • Tom Wade
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 26 12:57 AM
        I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.

        I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
        Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
        Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
        or three hours.

        Tom Wade

        On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
        > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
        > there any
        > Windows based software solutions?
        >
        > Pat
      • Shannon Haworth
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26 3:36 AM
          I have to agree with Tom on every point. Linuxcnc (formally EMC2) provides
          a nice push-button interface and isn't difficult to use at all. I've heard
          that the version packaged with the Sherline mills is woefully out of date
          however, for the latest go directly to linuxcnc.org. Even if you pick up
          the 'turnkey' version from Sherline.

          On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
          >
          > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
          > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
          > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
          > or three hours.
          >
          > Tom Wade
          >

          > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
          > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
          > > there any
          > > Windows based software solutions?
          > >
          > > Pat

        • scott102006
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 26 4:26 AM
            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

            > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
            >
            > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
            > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
            > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
            > or three hours.
            >
            > Tom Wade
            >

            > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
            > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
            > > there any
            > > Windows based software solutions?
            > >
            > > Pat

            I have my complete mill setup for sale on eBay with very little use. I run Mach3 on Windows Vista, everything is included, it's a turn key setup.

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/160995686727?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
          • PatB
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 26 10:54 AM
              I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
              can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
              otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
              myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.

              I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
              save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
              may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
              supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
              choices.

              I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
              products that have been recommended.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26 1:49 PM
                Hi Pat,

                If you do plan to put a controller together, have a look at this wiring
                diagram. It shows what is involved when wiring up a Gecko G540 based
                controller. Keep in mind that the diagram is an example of a full featured
                controller and that you don't need to wire up the parts that you don't intend
                to use, say a touch probe or home switches.

                http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

                I also have kit of the major components needed to build your own controller as
                well.

                Cheers,

                Peter

                On 27/03/2013 4:54 AM, PatB wrote:
                > I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
                > can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
                > otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
                > myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.
                >
                > I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
                > save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
                > may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
                > supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
                > choices.
                >
                > I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
                > products that have been recommended.
                >
                > Pat

                eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
                email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
                Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board