Re: Motors difficult to turn by hand?

  • jowhowho
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph L. Gelsomino" <jgelsomino11@...> wrote:
      "....I have Mach 3 install and can't get the motors to turn. Can anyone help me figure this out as to why I can't get them to move?"

      There are too many possibilities.....

      What sort of system do you have? Lathe? Mill? Computer brand? Stepper controller brand? Do you have any support from Artsoft or Sherline, or any other vendors? Do you have another working system? Do you have any ideas what the problem is or is not? What have you observed? Do the motors buzz or hum? Are the motors warm? Are there any lights that are on or off and shouldn't be? Is the stepper controller warm? Is the stepper controller's power supply warm? Has this system or a previous system this one evolved from ever run? Does the computer think the motors are turning? Do you have a VOM? Etc.

      Be verbose.
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
        > Posted by: "Joseph L. Gelsomino"jgelsomino11@... wackowolf35
        > Date: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm ((PDT))
        >
        > But what controller software are you using to make them run? I have Mach 3
        > install and can't get the motors to turn. Can anyone help me figure this out
        > as to why I can't get them to move?

        You will need to provide a lot more info on what you have and what
        happens before we can answer that. You might also find better response
        to Mach questions on the mach list instead of the Sherline list.

        The best way is to download the Mach Installation and configuration
        manual and follow its step by step explanation. I know that is correct
        and will work every time because I had a hand in getting it written.

        ron ginger
      • Joseph L. Gelsomino
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
          I am using the Mach 3. I can get it to show movement in the run window but
          the motors do not move. I tested with a meter and I am not getting a good
          read (0.04 was the highest ). So it is the port. I can't change the port
          settings in the bios, it is either on or off, there is no setting to change
          to EPP or ECP. So if I am right I need a parallel port that works.

          Wacko

        • Ron Thompson
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
            On 3/26/2013 8:16 AM, Joseph L. Gelsomino wrote:

            > I am using the Mach 3. I can get it to show movement in the run window but
            > the motors do not move. I tested with a meter and I am not getting a good
            > read (0.04 was the highest ). So it is the port. I can't change the port
            > settings in the bios, it is either on or off, there is no setting to
            > change
            > to EPP or ECP. So if I am right I need a parallel port that works.
            >
            > Wacko

            > No virus found in this message.

            I second the suggestion you go to the Mach forum for quick answers.
            That said, make sure the correct port address is entered in Mach3. Then
            make sure the port and pins are set correctly.
            This is not plug and play. You need to read the manual and configure
            each parameter for it to work correctly.

            --

            Ron Thompson

            Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

            http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

            Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

          • intenselymellow
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
              Sorry for the late reply...

              I should have added that I have sepparate switches on each axis to
              enable or disable them independently. That makes a whole lot of
              difference. Even relatively slow cranking with the driver "off"
              can generate enough back EMF to semi-power driver and make cranking
              really hard. Disabling them makes quite a difference.

              True, moving the steppers manually can put you off by as much as two
              steps when you switch the drivers back on. But on average it's more
              like 1 step. Given 200 step per rev steppers on my .050 per rev
              screw that's (theoretically) .00025 per step and a deviation of
              at most a half thou, more likely much less, which for most work is
              silly talk anyway. Though that would be different if you're using
              5 TPI screws...

              I suppose I shouldn't have said "micro-position." That's misleading.
              What I meant was I'm a lot more comfortable delicately sneaking up on
              locations slowly, carefully and manually and by feel. My "finger
              memory" for turning the hand wheels is very reliable and the tactile
              feedback helps. My "finger memory" for those shift-alt-control cursor
              keys is much les reliable. Which is, o course, my own fault. Slowing
              things down doesn't help much because once you've hit the wrong key
              (or the right one with the wrong modifier) the part or tool is likely
              ruined before realize there's a problem, let alone hit the E-stop.

              MDI is the other thorn in my side. I still use it all the time. Love
              it. But if I had a dime for every time I pressed "cursor up" to scroll
              back through the history and moved the table instead... Sigh.

              No pleasing some people, eh? :)

              Anyway I see where you're coming from. My point was simply that
              some people really do use the hand wheels on CNC'd machines for
              any number of reasons.

              Jeff