Re: [SherlineCNC] looking for complete CNC package

  • PatB
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
      thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have to figure out how much time I
      have to devote to buying a system and setting it up myself. I appreciate the
      equipment suggestions and will start to do some research on those. It would
      be nice to save some money over a pre-packaged system.

      By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are there any
      Windows based software solutions?

      Pat

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
        Pat,

        Some people like the process of building the tool as much as using it. It sounds like you want to get to rocketry.

        I advise you to get a cnc ready Sherline, a Gecko, and Mach.

        Sherline's controller has problems and has virtually no support, Gecko is great with the best support.

        EMC/linux is what I use, but I'm a masochist, Mach 3 is not free, but is much better in the support area.

        At the very least, this should be one of your baseline configuration as you shop around.
      • Tom Wade
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
          I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.

          I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
          Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
          Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
          or three hours.

          Tom Wade

          On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
          > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
          > there any
          > Windows based software solutions?
          >
          > Pat
        • Shannon Haworth
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
            I have to agree with Tom on every point. Linuxcnc (formally EMC2) provides
            a nice push-button interface and isn't difficult to use at all. I've heard
            that the version packaged with the Sherline mills is woefully out of date
            however, for the latest go directly to linuxcnc.org. Even if you pick up
            the 'turnkey' version from Sherline.

            On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
            >
            > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
            > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
            > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
            > or three hours.
            >
            > Tom Wade
            >

            > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
            > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
            > > there any
            > > Windows based software solutions?
            > >
            > > Pat

          • scott102006
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

              > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
              >
              > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
              > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
              > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
              > or three hours.
              >
              > Tom Wade
              >

              > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
              > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
              > > there any
              > > Windows based software solutions?
              > >
              > > Pat

              I have my complete mill setup for sale on eBay with very little use. I run Mach3 on Windows Vista, everything is included, it's a turn key setup.

              http://www.ebay.com/itm/160995686727?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
            • PatB
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
                can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
                otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
                myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.

                I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
                save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
                may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
                supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
                choices.

                I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
                products that have been recommended.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                  Hi Pat,

                  If you do plan to put a controller together, have a look at this wiring
                  diagram. It shows what is involved when wiring up a Gecko G540 based
                  controller. Keep in mind that the diagram is an example of a full featured
                  controller and that you don't need to wire up the parts that you don't intend
                  to use, say a touch probe or home switches.

                  http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

                  I also have kit of the major components needed to build your own controller as
                  well.

                  Cheers,

                  Peter

                  On 27/03/2013 4:54 AM, PatB wrote:
                  > I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
                  > can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
                  > otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
                  > myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.
                  >
                  > I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
                  > save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
                  > may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
                  > supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
                  > choices.
                  >
                  > I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
                  > products that have been recommended.
                  >
                  > Pat

                  eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                  Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
                  email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
                  Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board