looking for complete CNC package

  • appraisalservices2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
      Hi everyone. I'm new to this group, having been on the non-CNC group for a number of years. I currently own a Sherline lathe with a milling head and am looking to buy a CNC setup.

      I use my tools primarily for helpign me build custom model rockets. I compete nationally and internationally in rocketry activities and find my Sherline tools to be of great use.

      Anyway, I'm looking to get a CNC mill and wanted to pretty much buy a turnkey sort of system. The only complete package that I'm aware of is the one sold by Sherline. Are there any other companies that sell a complete package that's pretty much ready to go? Thanks!

      Pat
    • Thayer Syme
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
        >Hi everyone. I'm new to this group, having been on the non-CNC group
        >for a number of years. I currently own a Sherline lathe with a
        >milling head and am looking to buy a CNC setup.
        >
        >I use my tools primarily for helpign me build custom model rockets.
        >I compete nationally and internationally in rocketry activities and
        >find my Sherline tools to be of great use.
        >
        >Anyway, I'm looking to get a CNC mill and wanted to pretty much buy
        >a turnkey sort of system. The only complete package that I'm aware
        >of is the one sold by Sherline. Are there any other companies that
        >sell a complete package that's pretty much ready to go? Thanks!

        Pat,

        Don't be scared of setting up your own.

        I build up my A2C CNC Monster Mill with a Sherline 10k spindle,
        Keling steppers and power supply, a Gecko G540 driver and Mach 3, all
        running off an old Dell PC with Windows XP. This was my first foray
        into CNC and despite being a long time Mac guy with almost no PC
        experience I found it all went together pretty easily and was up and
        running quite quickly. Honestly, I can't imagine it being much faster
        with a turnkey system other than having everything come in the same
        box. I am also using D2nc by Graham Hollis for converting my CAD
        files to g-code or doing basic coding with its SDL programming.

        The only delay I really had came from not having everything together
        in one place all at once in the beginning. The upside there was that
        I learned a lot about the basic setup and editing G-Code and had a
        lot of fun for a week with my CNC etch-a-sketch.

        Thayer
      • Tom Wade
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
          I've got the stock Sherline setup, but without the PC.

          The one change I'm likely to make in the future is to switch to the
          Gecko G540.

          The driver box supplied by Sherline has been a real PITA. Has put me
          out of business several times.

          I'm using Gecko's on my other mill, and they just sit there and work.
          Once when I was having a problem, I called Gecko, Mariss answered, and
          solved my problem within 2 minutes.

          Geckos rule!

          Tom

          On 3/25/2013 8:09 PM, Thayer Syme wrote:
          > I build up my A2C CNC Monster Mill with a Sherline 10k spindle,
          > Keling steppers and power supply, a Gecko G540 driver and Mach 3, all
          > running off an old Dell PC with Windows XP.
        • Douglas Vogt
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
            There are a variety of options from CNC-ready to ready-to-go Sherline and Taig mills. The minimum you want is CNC-ready. If you like putting stuff together, it's actually fun to put a

            system together. For a complete system that is not completely Sherline supplied:

            CNC ready mill

            PC with parallel port

            Controller box with power supply,

            Controller - get a Gecko 540
            Mach3 software to run the motors
            CAM software to create your G-code
            CAD software - there are free ones

            The additional steps if you want to put everything together:
            motors and cables
            bits and pieces of electronic parts

            I've got a Sears (Sherline) lathe that I've retrofitted to CNC including the vertical mill attachment and a Taig mill that was CNCd. I would not hesitate to make up a complete system again. There are learning curves to CNC milling but they are not insurmountable.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
              thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have to figure out how much time I
              have to devote to buying a system and setting it up myself. I appreciate the
              equipment suggestions and will start to do some research on those. It would
              be nice to save some money over a pre-packaged system.

              By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are there any
              Windows based software solutions?

              Pat

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                Pat,

                Some people like the process of building the tool as much as using it. It sounds like you want to get to rocketry.

                I advise you to get a cnc ready Sherline, a Gecko, and Mach.

                Sherline's controller has problems and has virtually no support, Gecko is great with the best support.

                EMC/linux is what I use, but I'm a masochist, Mach 3 is not free, but is much better in the support area.

                At the very least, this should be one of your baseline configuration as you shop around.
              • Tom Wade
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                  I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.

                  I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
                  Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
                  Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
                  or three hours.

                  Tom Wade

                  On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
                  > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
                  > there any
                  > Windows based software solutions?
                  >
                  > Pat
                • Shannon Haworth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                    I have to agree with Tom on every point. Linuxcnc (formally EMC2) provides
                    a nice push-button interface and isn't difficult to use at all. I've heard
                    that the version packaged with the Sherline mills is woefully out of date
                    however, for the latest go directly to linuxcnc.org. Even if you pick up
                    the 'turnkey' version from Sherline.

                    On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
                    >
                    > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
                    > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
                    > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
                    > or three hours.
                    >
                    > Tom Wade
                    >

                    > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
                    > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
                    > > there any
                    > > Windows based software solutions?
                    > >
                    > > Pat

                  • scott102006
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

                      > I'm quite happy using Linuxcnc package, aka EMC2.
                      >
                      > I disagree with the support issue. Once you learn to dig through the
                      > Linuxcnc support docs, and reference those when you ask questions on the
                      > Linuxcnc forum, you get pretty quick replies, frequently within a couple
                      > or three hours.
                      >
                      > Tom Wade
                      >

                      > On 3/26/2013 1:19 AM, PatB wrote:
                      > > By the way, I noticed that the Sherline system runs on Linux. Are
                      > > there any
                      > > Windows based software solutions?
                      > >
                      > > Pat

                      I have my complete mill setup for sale on eBay with very little use. I run Mach3 on Windows Vista, everything is included, it's a turn key setup.

                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/160995686727?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
                    • PatB
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                        I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
                        can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
                        otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
                        myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.

                        I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
                        save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
                        may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
                        supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
                        choices.

                        I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
                        products that have been recommended.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
                          Hi Pat,

                          If you do plan to put a controller together, have a look at this wiring
                          diagram. It shows what is involved when wiring up a Gecko G540 based
                          controller. Keep in mind that the diagram is an example of a full featured
                          controller and that you don't need to wire up the parts that you don't intend
                          to use, say a touch probe or home switches.

                          http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

                          I also have kit of the major components needed to build your own controller as
                          well.

                          Cheers,

                          Peter

                          On 27/03/2013 4:54 AM, PatB wrote:
                          > I appreciate everyone's input. It gives me more specific information that I
                          > can look into. I'm pretty much mechanically/tech inclined and would
                          > otherwise enjoy the 'process' of putting together a complete system by
                          > myself. But I just don't have the available free time right now.
                          >
                          > I'm willing to spend a little more money for a turnkey system in order to
                          > save time. Based on some of the information that's been provided here I just
                          > may consider buying an 'almost complete' package from Sherline and then
                          > supplementing with a few of the items that have been mentioned as being poor
                          > choices.
                          >
                          > I'm sure I'll have more questions after I start to look into the various
                          > products that have been recommended.
                          >
                          > Pat

                          eStore: http://www.homanndesigns.com/store
                          Web : http://www.homanndesigns.com ModIO - Modbus Interface Unit
                          email : peter@... DigiSpeed - Isolated 10Vdc I/F
                          Phone : +61 421 601 665 TurboTaig - Taig Mill Upgrade board