Re: [SherlineCNC] Motors difficult to turn by hand?

  • R.L. Wurdack
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
      Just the magnetic poles rubbing... :<)
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Marrocco, Sam
      To: SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:09 AM
      Subject: Re: [SherlineCNC] Motors difficult to turn by hand?

      On Mar 24, 2013, at 10:51 AM, "Tony Zampini" <zampini1@...> wrote:

      > Sam,
      > Make sure no exposed wires are touching each other. If you
      > short out any of the motor’s coils, the effect you are seeing
      > will occur.
      > Tony

      Tony, Thayer,

      That was the issue-- thanks for the quick response.. I had bundled up the wires and they were occasionally shorting. Whew! Thought I'd gotten a couple of lemons because it really felt like something inside was grinding!

      Sam Marrocco
      Chief Technical Officer
      248-548-2500 Main
      248-910-3344 Cell

      "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

      RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
      http://www.ringsidecreative.com

      Find us on Facebook.

    • Tom Wade
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
        They should always be difficult to turn. Have no idea why they would
        sometimes be easy to turn.

        I have the double ended motors on my Sherline, and find that I never use
        the hand cranks. My impression is that no one else uses the hand cranks
        either.

        My Bridgeport doesn't have hand cranks, and I don't miss them at all.

        Tom Wade
        Hope, Indiana

        On 3/24/2013 10:26 AM, Marrocco, Sam wrote:

        > Just purchased some new nema23 motors for my new sherline mill with
        > double shafts so I could keep the hand cranks. I don't yet have my
        > driver to control and test them with the computer yet. After hookup, I
        > noticed that two of them, when hand turned, move smooth sometimes but
        > very rough other times. It's almost as though they are "grinding"
        > against something internally when hand cranked, then slip suddenly and
        > turn smooth again. It happens even when they are not attached to the
        > mill and hand cranked. They might be smooth for several rotations,
        > then rough again.
        >
        > Is this normal for steppers or have I possibly received a bad set? If
        > they are that tough to turn it seems like having the hand cranks would
        > be a waste.
        >
        > Sam Marrocco
        > Chief Technical Officer
        > 248-548-2500 Main
        > 248-910-3344 Cell
        >
        > "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."
        >
        > RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
        > http://www.ringsidecreative.com
        >
        > Find us on Facebook.

      • Jeffrey Birt
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
          I have found that when folks are first starting out about 50% of them think they want to be able to hand crank the machine. After they try it 99% of them don’t like it (the cogging feeling of the stepper motor) or they find that you can do things very easily and quickly by using MDI. There are a few folks that really like the hand cranks but most don’t.

          Jeff Birt

          Soigeneris.com

          They should always be difficult to turn. Have no idea why they would
          sometimes be easy to turn.

          I have the double ended motors on my Sherline, and find that I never use
          the hand cranks. My impression is that no one else uses the hand cranks
          either.

          My Bridgeport doesn't have hand cranks, and I don't miss them at all.

          Tom Wade
          Hope, Indiana

          On 3/24/2013 10:26 AM, Marrocco, Sam wrote:

          > Just purchased some new nema23 motors for my new sherline mill with
          > double shafts so I could keep the hand cranks. I don't yet have my
          > driver to control and test them with the computer yet. After hookup, I
          > noticed that two of them, when hand turned, move smooth sometimes but
          > very rough other times. It's almost as though they are "grinding"
          > against something internally when hand cranked, then slip suddenly and
          > turn smooth again. It happens even when they are not attached to the
          > mill and hand cranked. They might be smooth for several rotations,
          > then rough again.
          >
          > Is this normal for steppers or have I possibly received a bad set? If
          > they are that tough to turn it seems like having the hand cranks would
          > be a waste.
          >
          > Sam Marrocco
          > Chief Technical Officer
          > 248-548-2500 Main
          > 248-910-3344 Cell
          >
          > "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."
          >
          > RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
          > http://www.ringsidecreative.com
          >
          > Find us on Facebook.

        • janrwl
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
            In a message dated 3/24/2013 9:27:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            SMarrocco@... writes:

            It happens even when they are not attached to the mill and hand cranked.
            They might be smooth for several rotations, then rough again.

            Is this normal for steppers or have I possibly received a bad set? If they
            are that tough to turn it seems like having the hand cranks would be a
            waste.<<
            I haven't yet read all the other suggestions, but I will give you MY 2'
            worth: You probably are simply shorting two or more of the lead-wires
            together! The reverse-EMF generated by the stepper acting as a "generator" does
            that.

          • kungfumachinist
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wade <tom@...> wrote:

              > I have the double ended motors on my Sherline, and find that I never use
              > the hand cranks. My impression is that no one else uses the hand cranks
              > either.

              I have a "nearly instant on" setup, just 4 seconds from turning it on to having power feed (no computer to boot up). So manually turning the hand cranks is rare for me, too. I do use them, however, mostly for maintenance, to check for binding and whatnot. I also have electronic backlash compensation in my controller so I check the backlash with the power off using the hand cranks.

              /Daryl
            • jowhowho
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                If you're still looking for something to do before you install your stepper motors, you can wire two motors together so that one drives the other! Ah, endless hours of fun.....
              • Joseph L. Gelsomino
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                  But what controller software are you using to make them run? I have Mach 3
                  install and can't get the motors to turn. Can anyone help me figure this out
                  as to why I can't get them to move?

                  Wacko

                • intenselymellow
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                    I absolutely use my hand wheels!

                    I need 'em to drive the Sherline DRO.

                    But even if I didn't, I use the machines by hand for one offs almost
                    as often as I run CNC parts. I also use them for edge finding, setting
                    a particular position as "zero" and so forth.

                    Frankly the notion of using the CNC control to micro-position the
                    machine scares me silly. I issue "G00 ...." commands all the time.
                    But I rarely ever touch the cursor keys. I can't count the number
                    of times I've hit a cursor key with the wrong scale in place or
                    whatever and way over shot my mark. Which would have either
                    ruined a part or broken a tool.

                    Call me one of the few...

                    Cheers,

                    Jeff

                    On Sun, March 24, 2013 2:19 pm, Tom Wade wrote:
                    > They should always be difficult to turn. Have no idea why they would
                    > sometimes be easy to turn.
                    >
                    > I have the double ended motors on my Sherline, and find that I never use
                    > the hand cranks. My impression is that no one else uses the hand cranks
                    > either.
                    >
                    > My Bridgeport doesn't have hand cranks, and I don't miss them at all.
                    >
                    > Tom Wade
                    > Hope, Indiana
                  • Thayer Syme
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                      >Frankly the notion of using the CNC control to micro-position the
                      >machine scares me silly. I issue "G00 ...." commands all the time.
                      >But I rarely ever touch the cursor keys. I can't count the number
                      >of times I've hit a cursor key with the wrong scale in place or
                      >whatever and way over shot my mark. Which would have either
                      >ruined a part or broken a tool.

                      Jeff,

                      I used to have the same problem with jogging until I decided to leave
                      it set to .001 increments. My rapids are set at 75 ipm so I get that
                      with <shift> plus arrow keys. I have the actual motion rate set to 5%
                      I think, or there about, so with just the arrow keys I have a feed
                      rate of maybe 5 ipm. I can then switch to .001 jogging quickly with
                      <ctrl> plus arrow keys. I find this combination works very well for
                      me and I can find edges quite quickly working that way. I used to
                      change the micro positioning scale to then accurately move for the
                      offset, but then I learned how to drive with the MDI screen.

                      I do have cranks on all three axes and use them for rough positioning
                      but never fine tuning. My understanding is that the motors can move a
                      step or two as you press the reset button which would likely negate
                      the accuracy of manual edge finding.

                      My setup is the A2Z CNC Monster Mill, Sherline 10k spindle, Keling
                      steppers and power supply, a Gecko G540 driver and Mach 3.

                      Thayer
                    • jowhowho
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph L. Gelsomino" <jgelsomino11@...> wrote:
                        "....I have Mach 3 install and can't get the motors to turn. Can anyone help me figure this out as to why I can't get them to move?"

                        There are too many possibilities.....

                        What sort of system do you have? Lathe? Mill? Computer brand? Stepper controller brand? Do you have any support from Artsoft or Sherline, or any other vendors? Do you have another working system? Do you have any ideas what the problem is or is not? What have you observed? Do the motors buzz or hum? Are the motors warm? Are there any lights that are on or off and shouldn't be? Is the stepper controller warm? Is the stepper controller's power supply warm? Has this system or a previous system this one evolved from ever run? Does the computer think the motors are turning? Do you have a VOM? Etc.

                        Be verbose.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                          > Posted by: "Joseph L. Gelsomino"jgelsomino11@... wackowolf35
                          > Date: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm ((PDT))
                          >
                          > But what controller software are you using to make them run? I have Mach 3
                          > install and can't get the motors to turn. Can anyone help me figure this out
                          > as to why I can't get them to move?

                          You will need to provide a lot more info on what you have and what
                          happens before we can answer that. You might also find better response
                          to Mach questions on the mach list instead of the Sherline list.

                          The best way is to download the Mach Installation and configuration
                          manual and follow its step by step explanation. I know that is correct
                          and will work every time because I had a hand in getting it written.

                          ron ginger
                        • Joseph L. Gelsomino
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                            I am using the Mach 3. I can get it to show movement in the run window but
                            the motors do not move. I tested with a meter and I am not getting a good
                            read (0.04 was the highest ). So it is the port. I can't change the port
                            settings in the bios, it is either on or off, there is no setting to change
                            to EPP or ECP. So if I am right I need a parallel port that works.

                            Wacko

                          • Ron Thompson
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                              On 3/26/2013 8:16 AM, Joseph L. Gelsomino wrote:

                              > I am using the Mach 3. I can get it to show movement in the run window but
                              > the motors do not move. I tested with a meter and I am not getting a good
                              > read (0.04 was the highest ). So it is the port. I can't change the port
                              > settings in the bios, it is either on or off, there is no setting to
                              > change
                              > to EPP or ECP. So if I am right I need a parallel port that works.
                              >
                              > Wacko

                              > No virus found in this message.

                              I second the suggestion you go to the Mach forum for quick answers.
                              That said, make sure the correct port address is entered in Mach3. Then
                              make sure the port and pins are set correctly.
                              This is not plug and play. You need to read the manual and configure
                              each parameter for it to work correctly.

                              --

                              Ron Thompson

                              Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

                              http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

                              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                            • intenselymellow
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                                Sorry for the late reply...

                                I should have added that I have sepparate switches on each axis to
                                enable or disable them independently. That makes a whole lot of
                                difference. Even relatively slow cranking with the driver "off"
                                can generate enough back EMF to semi-power driver and make cranking
                                really hard. Disabling them makes quite a difference.

                                True, moving the steppers manually can put you off by as much as two
                                steps when you switch the drivers back on. But on average it's more
                                like 1 step. Given 200 step per rev steppers on my .050 per rev
                                screw that's (theoretically) .00025 per step and a deviation of
                                at most a half thou, more likely much less, which for most work is
                                silly talk anyway. Though that would be different if you're using
                                5 TPI screws...

                                I suppose I shouldn't have said "micro-position." That's misleading.
                                What I meant was I'm a lot more comfortable delicately sneaking up on
                                locations slowly, carefully and manually and by feel. My "finger
                                memory" for turning the hand wheels is very reliable and the tactile
                                feedback helps. My "finger memory" for those shift-alt-control cursor
                                keys is much les reliable. Which is, o course, my own fault. Slowing
                                things down doesn't help much because once you've hit the wrong key
                                (or the right one with the wrong modifier) the part or tool is likely
                                ruined before realize there's a problem, let alone hit the E-stop.

                                MDI is the other thorn in my side. I still use it all the time. Love
                                it. But if I had a dime for every time I pressed "cursor up" to scroll
                                back through the history and moved the table instead... Sigh.

                                No pleasing some people, eh? :)

                                Anyway I see where you're coming from. My point was simply that
                                some people really do use the hand wheels on CNC'd machines for
                                any number of reasons.

                                Jeff