Re: [SherlineCNC] g21 Metric on Sherline 2000 - feed units are?

  • JB
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
      On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

      > Hi John,
      >
      > Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.
      >
      > These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.
      >
      > Martin

      Martin,

      Thanks again. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I find myself fairly hard pressed to find any meaningful calculators or rules of thumb when it comes to speeds and feeds on a Sherline 2000 when running in metric… my Google chops are failing me.

      If anyone has any pointers that might get me started with test cuts that won't cost a fortune in time, tools, cash or ego, I'd truly appreciate learning about them.

      Best,

      John in Libertyville
    • Martin Dobbins
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi John,

        You could start by looking through the archives of this very list because this has been discussed before.  There is a thread begun on Friday January 13th 2006 with message number 7645 entitled "Sherline Speeds and Feeds", but there is a lot more additional material avaialble by searching or even looking through past messages.  This group has been going for 10 years so there has been a wealth of information exchnaged over that time.

        Perhaps this might also help:

        http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4678.0

        I would also suggest you try it for yourself starting with very conservative figures as regards depth of cut and feed rate and working up from there.  I would encourage you not to begin with a small cutter such as 1 mm and to test with a cutter in the 6 to 10 mm range, small cutters require very high spindle speeds and extremely careful attention to depth of cut and feedrate there are just too many variables introduced with them for a beginner to handle.

        Check your ego at the door, we all have to begin somewhere.

        Martin