Re: [SherlineCNC] g21 Metric on Sherline 2000 - feed units are?

  • Martin Dobbins
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
      Hi John,

      Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.

      These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.

      Martin

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
        On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

        > Hi John,
        >
        > Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.
        >
        > These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.
        >
        > Martin

        Martin,

        Thanks again. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I find myself fairly hard pressed to find any meaningful calculators or rules of thumb when it comes to speeds and feeds on a Sherline 2000 when running in metric… my Google chops are failing me.

        If anyone has any pointers that might get me started with test cuts that won't cost a fortune in time, tools, cash or ego, I'd truly appreciate learning about them.

        Best,

        John in Libertyville
      • Martin Dobbins
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
          Hi John,

          You could start by looking through the archives of this very list because this has been discussed before.  There is a thread begun on Friday January 13th 2006 with message number 7645 entitled "Sherline Speeds and Feeds", but there is a lot more additional material avaialble by searching or even looking through past messages.  This group has been going for 10 years so there has been a wealth of information exchnaged over that time.

          Perhaps this might also help:

          http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4678.0

          I would also suggest you try it for yourself starting with very conservative figures as regards depth of cut and feed rate and working up from there.  I would encourage you not to begin with a small cutter such as 1 mm and to test with a cutter in the 6 to 10 mm range, small cutters require very high spindle speeds and extremely careful attention to depth of cut and feedrate there are just too many variables introduced with them for a beginner to handle.

          Check your ego at the door, we all have to begin somewhere.

          Martin