RE: [SherlineCNC] g21 Metric on Sherline 2000 - feed units are?

  • Andy Wander
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
      feeds are in "units" per minute. When you change your units to mm, then the
      feeds will be interpreted as mm/min.

      Andy Wander

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

        > Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.
        >
        > Thoughts, anyone?

        Hi,

        From another newbie.

        For 1mm dia endmill, I don't have the courage to go at a depth of 0.25mm. Usually 0.10mm to max 0.15mm. Feed wise, around 100mm/min to 150mm/min. Spindle speed max (2800 rpm).

        I find the smaller dia endmills more expensive than their bigger cousins. So I try to use the biggest size I can fit in the job.

        Maybe you can start off slow and adjust accordingly to find what work best for you? If you can, kindly share your results. So far I tried with 5mm at various depth and feed when I first convert my 2000 with A2Z parts.

        Regards,
        Wong
      • Martin Dobbins
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
          Hi John,

          Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.

          These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.

          Martin

          ________________________________

          On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:46 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

          > So for a 1 mm end mill in 6061-T6 at .25 mm deep, I should be running the feed at 785 on a Sherline 2000 at 2500 RPM? That's what the Kennametal speed and feed calculator comes up with.
          >
          > That's a scary number.
          >

          > On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:
          >
          >> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> John,
          >>>
          >>> Definitely mm/min
          >>>
          >>> Martin
          >>
          >> Thanks, Martin!
          >>
          >> You're the best,
          >>
          >> JB

        • JB
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
            On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

            > Hi John,
            >
            > Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.
            >
            > These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.
            >
            > Martin

            Martin,

            Thanks again. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I find myself fairly hard pressed to find any meaningful calculators or rules of thumb when it comes to speeds and feeds on a Sherline 2000 when running in metric… my Google chops are failing me.

            If anyone has any pointers that might get me started with test cuts that won't cost a fortune in time, tools, cash or ego, I'd truly appreciate learning about them.

            Best,

            John in Libertyville
          • Martin Dobbins
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
              Hi John,

              You could start by looking through the archives of this very list because this has been discussed before.  There is a thread begun on Friday January 13th 2006 with message number 7645 entitled "Sherline Speeds and Feeds", but there is a lot more additional material avaialble by searching or even looking through past messages.  This group has been going for 10 years so there has been a wealth of information exchnaged over that time.

              Perhaps this might also help:

              http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4678.0

              I would also suggest you try it for yourself starting with very conservative figures as regards depth of cut and feed rate and working up from there.  I would encourage you not to begin with a small cutter such as 1 mm and to test with a cutter in the 6 to 10 mm range, small cutters require very high spindle speeds and extremely careful attention to depth of cut and feedrate there are just too many variables introduced with them for a beginner to handle.

              Check your ego at the door, we all have to begin somewhere.

              Martin