Re: [SherlineCNC] g21 Metric on Sherline 2000 - feed units are?

  • JB
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 10, 2013
      Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.

      Thoughts, anyone?

      On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:46 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

      > So for a 1 mm end mill in 6061-T6 at .25 mm deep, I should be running the feed at 785 on a Sherline 2000 at 2500 RPM? That's what the Kennametal speed and feed calculator comes up with.
      >
      > That's a scary number.
      >

      > On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> John,
      >>>
      >>> Definitely mm/min
      >>>
      >>> Martin
      >>
      >> Thanks, Martin!
      >>
      >> You're the best,
      >>
      >> JB

    • Andy Wander
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
        feeds are in "units" per minute. When you change your units to mm, then the
        feeds will be interpreted as mm/min.

        Andy Wander

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

          > Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.
          >
          > Thoughts, anyone?

          Hi,

          From another newbie.

          For 1mm dia endmill, I don't have the courage to go at a depth of 0.25mm. Usually 0.10mm to max 0.15mm. Feed wise, around 100mm/min to 150mm/min. Spindle speed max (2800 rpm).

          I find the smaller dia endmills more expensive than their bigger cousins. So I try to use the biggest size I can fit in the job.

          Maybe you can start off slow and adjust accordingly to find what work best for you? If you can, kindly share your results. So far I tried with 5mm at various depth and feed when I first convert my 2000 with A2Z parts.

          Regards,
          Wong
        • Martin Dobbins
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
            Hi John,

            Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.

            These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.

            Martin

            ________________________________
            Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.

            Thoughts, anyone?

            On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:46 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

            > So for a 1 mm end mill in 6061-T6 at .25 mm deep, I should be running the feed at 785 on a Sherline 2000 at 2500 RPM? That's what the Kennametal speed and feed calculator comes up with.
            >
            > That's a scary number.
            >

            > On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> John,
            >>>
            >>> Definitely mm/min
            >>>
            >>> Martin
            >>
            >> Thanks, Martin!
            >>
            >> You're the best,
            >>
            >> JB

          • JB
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
              On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

              > Hi John,
              >
              > Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.
              >
              > These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.
              >
              > Martin

              Martin,

              Thanks again. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I find myself fairly hard pressed to find any meaningful calculators or rules of thumb when it comes to speeds and feeds on a Sherline 2000 when running in metric… my Google chops are failing me.

              If anyone has any pointers that might get me started with test cuts that won't cost a fortune in time, tools, cash or ego, I'd truly appreciate learning about them.

              Best,

              John in Libertyville
            • Martin Dobbins
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
                Hi John,

                You could start by looking through the archives of this very list because this has been discussed before.  There is a thread begun on Friday January 13th 2006 with message number 7645 entitled "Sherline Speeds and Feeds", but there is a lot more additional material avaialble by searching or even looking through past messages.  This group has been going for 10 years so there has been a wealth of information exchnaged over that time.

                Perhaps this might also help:

                http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4678.0

                I would also suggest you try it for yourself starting with very conservative figures as regards depth of cut and feed rate and working up from there.  I would encourage you not to begin with a small cutter such as 1 mm and to test with a cutter in the 6 to 10 mm range, small cutters require very high spindle speeds and extremely careful attention to depth of cut and feedrate there are just too many variables introduced with them for a beginner to handle.

                Check your ego at the door, we all have to begin somewhere.

                Martin