g21 Metric on Sherline 2000 - feed units are?

  • jamboacn
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 10 8:28 PM
      OK, so I design and build in metric.

      When I call g21, I know the axes are metric, but I'm not certain the feeds remain in inches per minute or are also in metric... would it be in cm/min or mm/min or stay as in/min?

      Thanks,

      John in Libertyville
    • JB
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 10 8:38 PM
        My Google Fu ain't what it used to be - I found what I'm pretty sure is evidence that it will be in mm/in when using g21. Section 20, here:

        http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/m-code.html

        If anyone can confirm for me that a g21 changes feeds to millimeters, I will sleep much better.

        Thanks tons,

        John in Libertyville

        On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:28 PM, jamboacn <jambomac@...> wrote:

        > OK, so I design and build in metric.
        >
        > When I call g21, I know the axes are metric, but I'm not certain the feeds remain in inches per minute or are also in metric... would it be in cm/min or mm/min or stay as in/min?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > John in Libertyville

      • Martin Dobbins
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 10 8:54 PM
          John,

          Definitely mm/min

          Martin

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10 8:57 PM
            On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Definitely mm/min
            >
            > Martin

            Thanks, Martin!

            You're the best,

            JB

          • JB
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10 9:46 PM
              So for a 1 mm end mill in 6061-T6 at .25 mm deep, I should be running the feed at 785 on a Sherline 2000 at 2500 RPM? That's what the Kennametal speed and feed calculator comes up with.

              That's a scary number.

              On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

              > On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:
              >
              > > John,
              > >
              > > Definitely mm/min
              > >
              > > Martin
              >
              > Thanks, Martin!
              >
              > You're the best,
              >
              > JB

            • JB
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 10 9:48 PM
                Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.

                Thoughts, anyone?

                On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:46 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

                > So for a 1 mm end mill in 6061-T6 at .25 mm deep, I should be running the feed at 785 on a Sherline 2000 at 2500 RPM? That's what the Kennametal speed and feed calculator comes up with.
                >
                > That's a scary number.
                >

                > On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:
                >
                >> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> John,
                >>>
                >>> Definitely mm/min
                >>>
                >>> Martin
                >>
                >> Thanks, Martin!
                >>
                >> You're the best,
                >>
                >> JB

              • Andy Wander
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 11 4:45 AM
                  feeds are in "units" per minute. When you change your units to mm, then the
                  feeds will be interpreted as mm/min.

                  Andy Wander

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 11 4:46 AM
                    --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

                    > Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.
                    >
                    > Thoughts, anyone?

                    Hi,

                    From another newbie.

                    For 1mm dia endmill, I don't have the courage to go at a depth of 0.25mm. Usually 0.10mm to max 0.15mm. Feed wise, around 100mm/min to 150mm/min. Spindle speed max (2800 rpm).

                    I find the smaller dia endmills more expensive than their bigger cousins. So I try to use the biggest size I can fit in the job.

                    Maybe you can start off slow and adjust accordingly to find what work best for you? If you can, kindly share your results. So far I tried with 5mm at various depth and feed when I first convert my 2000 with A2Z parts.

                    Regards,
                    Wong
                  • Martin Dobbins
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 11 6:51 AM
                      Hi John,

                      Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.

                      These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.

                      Martin

                      ________________________________
                      Scratch that - it's F7854 - even scarier.

                      Thoughts, anyone?

                      On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:46 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:

                      > So for a 1 mm end mill in 6061-T6 at .25 mm deep, I should be running the feed at 785 on a Sherline 2000 at 2500 RPM? That's what the Kennametal speed and feed calculator comes up with.
                      >
                      > That's a scary number.
                      >

                      > On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM, JB <jambomac@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> John,
                      >>>
                      >>> Definitely mm/min
                      >>>
                      >>> Martin
                      >>
                      >> Thanks, Martin!
                      >>
                      >> You're the best,
                      >>
                      >> JB

                    • JB
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 11 7:35 AM
                        On Mar 11, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

                        > Hi John,
                        >
                        > Two things mitigate against using Kennametal feed and speed figures on a Sherline sized machine and those are rigidity and horsepower.
                        >
                        > These machines are suited to fast, light cuts.
                        >
                        > Martin

                        Martin,

                        Thanks again. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I find myself fairly hard pressed to find any meaningful calculators or rules of thumb when it comes to speeds and feeds on a Sherline 2000 when running in metric… my Google chops are failing me.

                        If anyone has any pointers that might get me started with test cuts that won't cost a fortune in time, tools, cash or ego, I'd truly appreciate learning about them.

                        Best,

                        John in Libertyville
                      • Martin Dobbins
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 11 4:26 PM
                          Hi John,

                          You could start by looking through the archives of this very list because this has been discussed before.  There is a thread begun on Friday January 13th 2006 with message number 7645 entitled "Sherline Speeds and Feeds", but there is a lot more additional material avaialble by searching or even looking through past messages.  This group has been going for 10 years so there has been a wealth of information exchnaged over that time.

                          Perhaps this might also help:

                          http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4678.0

                          I would also suggest you try it for yourself starting with very conservative figures as regards depth of cut and feed rate and working up from there.  I would encourage you not to begin with a small cutter such as 1 mm and to test with a cutter in the 6 to 10 mm range, small cutters require very high spindle speeds and extremely careful attention to depth of cut and feedrate there are just too many variables introduced with them for a beginner to handle.

                          Check your ego at the door, we all have to begin somewhere.

                          Martin