Re: [SherlineCNC] Mach 3 running on Windows Surface Pro tablet

  • Mike Bauers
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
      Are you referring to the Sherline CNC of this e-list as being large and powerful?

      If you are that worried about the Sherline machine running wild, hardwire a kill-switch on a tether to hold in your hand, then if you are more than a couple of feet away from the machine, you can instantly press the switch and stop the machine more swiftly than making those time consuming couple of steps to the mill.

      And don't forget to do the same at the computer station you use to operate your Sherline. It will prevent an accident from jumping out of the chair to run to couple of feet to the mill.

      Get the Big Red mushroom shaped kill switch for that.............

      And why not install one at the Sherline as well? in fact one at each end of the Sherline, then you don't have to struggle to quickly flip the relatively tiny power switch on the Sherline when you absolutely must ...............

      Best to ya...
      Mike Bauers
      Milwaukee, Wi, USA

      On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:03 PM, "Andy Wander" <andywander@...> wrote:

      > Jeff is talking about a real, hardware E-stop.
      >

      > You can't rely on software or wireless(especially something as flaky as X10)
      > on any machine that is large/powerful enough to could hurt somebody.
      >

      > Andy Wander
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: Mike Bauers
      > Perhaps the software has that e-stop on the screen ?
      >
      > If it's in your computer software, you would be linked to it.
      >
      > For redundancy, an X10 appliance remote on the power cord of the cutter can
      > be tripped by the tablet or any other X10 compatible remote of which there
      > are several types. One of those is a key-fob Wireless switch, you wouldn't
      > even have to switch to a different screen on the tablet to use a swift
      > acting remote X10 power controller.
      >
      > Perhaps hang it as a dongle on your tablet?
    • wongsterwish
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
        Jeff,

        I'm for one am keen having such a setup. I don't mind wires running from the tablet to the control box as the motivation here is freeing up space in the already cramp room I've got.

        I've a tablet (Asus) on Windows 7 64bit. Would it work as well? USB to the control box you sold me with the big e-stop infront. If this can work, the setup would just be the Tablet, the control box, and the mill. No keyboard no mouse no tower case.

        By the way, after you helped sort out the freezing problem with the SmoothStepper, the box has not been giving me any problem. Did a 2.5 hours job (lithophane of my elder girl). The only problem I got during that run was being restless after watching the machine cutting for a while... thanks man.

        Regards,
        Wong

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        >

        > Just for fun I thought it would be interesting to see if Mach 3 would run on
        > the Windows Surface Pro tablet I just got. Since this table runs the full
        > version of Windows 8 and has a USB port it seemed like it would likely work.
        > Mach 3 installed without a hitch. Since Windows 8 is more strict about using
        > signed drivers some hoops had to be jumped through and a beta driver and
        > plug in from Warp9 had to be used.
        >

        > A tablet like this may not make for the most practical Mach3 PC but it is
        > fun and I think it will be a neat to take to shows to run a machine with it.
        >

        > You can find a short video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBl9Qk7rIas
        >

        > Jeff Birt
        >
        > Soigeneris.com

      • Jeffrey Birt
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
          Hi Wong,

          Your tablet should work fine, I was testing my tablet with the same
          controller you are using J . I'm glad to hear that your SmoothStepper has
          been working well for you now.

          Tablets and laptops have a lot of power savings features that can sometimes
          interfere with Mach3. Generally if you set up a Power Profile that tells
          Windows to keep the minimum processor state at 100% and not to remove power
          from the USB ports then the PC will work fine. The ASUS all-in-one PC that
          is in the background of the video also had a BIOS setting that controlled
          the processor speed, I had to disable it to make Mach 3 work properly. This
          is a rare setting to have to change though I have only heard of one other PC
          (from one on the guys at Mach) that had this same problem.)

          What I have found using the Asus all-in-one PC with Mach3 is that the
          standard screen set is not well designed for touch operation. I still use a
          mouse/keyboard at times but mostly I can use the touch screen.

          Jeff Birt

          Soigeneris.com

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          >

          > Just for fun I thought it would be interesting to see if Mach 3 would run
          on
          > the Windows Surface Pro tablet I just got. Since this table runs the full
          > version of Windows 8 and has a USB port it seemed like it would likely
          work.
          > Mach 3 installed without a hitch. Since Windows 8 is more strict about
          using
          > signed drivers some hoops had to be jumped through and a beta driver and
          > plug in from Warp9 had to be used.
          >

          > A tablet like this may not make for the most practical Mach3 PC but it is
          > fun and I think it will be a neat to take to shows to run a machine with
          it.

          > You can find a short video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBl9Qk7rIas
          >

          > Jeff Birt
          >
          > Soigeneris.com

        • wongsterwish
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
            Hi Jeff,

            Thanks. Maybe its time for me to do some experiment. As for the touch screen, I can use the wireless keyboard that has a Synaptic Clickpad if needed. The e-stop will be via the big red button on the control box.

            Now I've to try to get pass the password my daughter set but forgotten...