Mach 3 running on Windows Surface Pro tablet

  • Jeffrey Birt
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
      Hi Guys,

      Just for fun I thought it would be interesting to see if Mach 3 would run on
      the Windows Surface Pro tablet I just got. Since this table runs the full
      version of Windows 8 and has a USB port it seemed like it would likely work.
      Mach 3 installed without a hitch. Since Windows 8 is more strict about using
      signed drivers some hoops had to be jumped through and a beta driver and
      plug in from Warp9 had to be used.

      A tablet like this may not make for the most practical Mach3 PC but it is
      fun and I think it will be a neat to take to shows to run a machine with it.

      You can find a short video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBl9Qk7rIas

      Jeff Birt

      Soigeneris.com

    • Mike Bauers
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
        Interesting !!!

        Over in the craft-cutter groups, one person discovered that the same folks that make the Windows emulator software that allows her to run Windows and operate her cutter effortlessly under Windows while running on a Mac............

        Also has a program to use a iPad as a terminal to operate her cutter via WiFi, and that works darned nicely.

        It looks like a lot of those differing makes of tablets are going to be very useful remote tools as well. I know I want one for home control, observation, and security interaction. There are a number of tablet apps that give you complete control and operation of your main computer and all of its programs and equipment.

        The good side of being in interesting times.

        Best to ya...
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi, USA

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
          I have reservations about using a tablet as a remote control for a piece of
          machinery. Losing control of a machine while in a remote control session is
          a real concern, i.e. I would not want to be out of reach of the machine's
          Estop button.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
            Perhaps the software has that e-stop on the screen ?

            If it's in your computer software, you would be linked to it.

            For redundancy, an X10 appliance remote on the power cord of the cutter can be tripped by the tablet or any other X10 compatible remote of which there are several types. One of those is a key-fob Wireless switch, you wouldn't even have to switch to a different screen on the tablet to use a swift acting remote X10 power controller.

            Perhaps hang it as a dongle on your tablet?

            Best to ya...
            Mike Bauers
            Milwaukee, Wi, USA

            On Mar 7, 2013, at 7:20 PM, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

            > I have reservations about using a tablet as a remote control for a piece of
            > machinery. Losing control of a machine while in a remote control session is
            > a real concern, i.e. I would not want to be out of reach of the machine's
            > Estop button.
          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
              Jeff is talking about a real, hardware E-stop.

              You can't rely on software or wireless(especially something as flaky as X10)
              on any machine that is large/powerful enough to could hurt somebody.

              Andy Wander

              _____

              <mailto:birt_j%40soigeneris.com> > wrote:

              > I have reservations about using a tablet as a remote control for a piece
              of
              > machinery. Losing control of a machine while in a remote control session
              is
              > a real concern, i.e. I would not want to be out of reach of the machine's
              > Estop button.

            • Mike Bauers
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2013
                Are you referring to the Sherline CNC of this e-list as being large and powerful?

                If you are that worried about the Sherline machine running wild, hardwire a kill-switch on a tether to hold in your hand, then if you are more than a couple of feet away from the machine, you can instantly press the switch and stop the machine more swiftly than making those time consuming couple of steps to the mill.

                And don't forget to do the same at the computer station you use to operate your Sherline. It will prevent an accident from jumping out of the chair to run to couple of feet to the mill.

                Get the Big Red mushroom shaped kill switch for that.............

                And why not install one at the Sherline as well? in fact one at each end of the Sherline, then you don't have to struggle to quickly flip the relatively tiny power switch on the Sherline when you absolutely must ...............

                Best to ya...
                Mike Bauers
                Milwaukee, Wi, USA

                On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:03 PM, "Andy Wander" <andywander@...> wrote:

                > Jeff is talking about a real, hardware E-stop.
                >

                > You can't rely on software or wireless(especially something as flaky as X10)
                > on any machine that is large/powerful enough to could hurt somebody.
                >

                > Andy Wander
                >
                > _____
                >
                > From: Mike Bauers
                > Perhaps the software has that e-stop on the screen ?
                >
                > If it's in your computer software, you would be linked to it.
                >
                > For redundancy, an X10 appliance remote on the power cord of the cutter can
                > be tripped by the tablet or any other X10 compatible remote of which there
                > are several types. One of those is a key-fob Wireless switch, you wouldn't
                > even have to switch to a different screen on the tablet to use a swift
                > acting remote X10 power controller.
                >
                > Perhaps hang it as a dongle on your tablet?
              • wongsterwish
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Jeff,

                  I'm for one am keen having such a setup. I don't mind wires running from the tablet to the control box as the motivation here is freeing up space in the already cramp room I've got.

                  I've a tablet (Asus) on Windows 7 64bit. Would it work as well? USB to the control box you sold me with the big e-stop infront. If this can work, the setup would just be the Tablet, the control box, and the mill. No keyboard no mouse no tower case.

                  By the way, after you helped sort out the freezing problem with the SmoothStepper, the box has not been giving me any problem. Did a 2.5 hours job (lithophane of my elder girl). The only problem I got during that run was being restless after watching the machine cutting for a while... thanks man.

                  Regards,
                  Wong

                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Guys,
                  >

                  > Just for fun I thought it would be interesting to see if Mach 3 would run on
                  > the Windows Surface Pro tablet I just got. Since this table runs the full
                  > version of Windows 8 and has a USB port it seemed like it would likely work.
                  > Mach 3 installed without a hitch. Since Windows 8 is more strict about using
                  > signed drivers some hoops had to be jumped through and a beta driver and
                  > plug in from Warp9 had to be used.
                  >

                  > A tablet like this may not make for the most practical Mach3 PC but it is
                  > fun and I think it will be a neat to take to shows to run a machine with it.
                  >

                  > You can find a short video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBl9Qk7rIas
                  >

                  > Jeff Birt
                  >
                  > Soigeneris.com

                • Jeffrey Birt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Hi Wong,

                    Your tablet should work fine, I was testing my tablet with the same
                    controller you are using J . I'm glad to hear that your SmoothStepper has
                    been working well for you now.

                    Tablets and laptops have a lot of power savings features that can sometimes
                    interfere with Mach3. Generally if you set up a Power Profile that tells
                    Windows to keep the minimum processor state at 100% and not to remove power
                    from the USB ports then the PC will work fine. The ASUS all-in-one PC that
                    is in the background of the video also had a BIOS setting that controlled
                    the processor speed, I had to disable it to make Mach 3 work properly. This
                    is a rare setting to have to change though I have only heard of one other PC
                    (from one on the guys at Mach) that had this same problem.)

                    What I have found using the Asus all-in-one PC with Mach3 is that the
                    standard screen set is not well designed for touch operation. I still use a
                    mouse/keyboard at times but mostly I can use the touch screen.

                    Jeff Birt

                    Soigeneris.com

                    --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                    "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Guys,
                    >

                    > Just for fun I thought it would be interesting to see if Mach 3 would run
                    on
                    > the Windows Surface Pro tablet I just got. Since this table runs the full
                    > version of Windows 8 and has a USB port it seemed like it would likely
                    work.
                    > Mach 3 installed without a hitch. Since Windows 8 is more strict about
                    using
                    > signed drivers some hoops had to be jumped through and a beta driver and
                    > plug in from Warp9 had to be used.
                    >

                    > A tablet like this may not make for the most practical Mach3 PC but it is
                    > fun and I think it will be a neat to take to shows to run a machine with
                    it.

                    > You can find a short video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBl9Qk7rIas
                    >

                    > Jeff Birt
                    >
                    > Soigeneris.com

                  • wongsterwish
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Hi Jeff,

                      Thanks. Maybe its time for me to do some experiment. As for the touch screen, I can use the wireless keyboard that has a Synaptic Clickpad if needed. The e-stop will be via the big red button on the control box.

                      Now I've to try to get pass the password my daughter set but forgotten...