Re: [SherlineCNC] New Sherline CNC group

  • Tom Wade
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
      Okay, Dave, maybe i really am confused......

      Glad to hear that you are still alive and kicking.

      Tom

      On 2/11/2013 12:27 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:

      > Hi Tom,
      >
      > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 tom@...
      > <mailto:tom%40wade.name>> wrote:
      >
      > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
      > than a
      > > year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
      > >

      > I think you mean that the moderator of the Sherline group has been missing
      > for more than a year. The moderators of the SherlineCNC group have been
      > present and active (I'm one of them, so I know).
      >
      > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
      > support
      > > for Sherline CNC users.
      > >
      > > Please go to

      > > to sign up for the new group.
      > >

      > I don't think that creating a new Sherline-CNC group is the right thing to
      > do, since the existing group is operating quite well.
      >
      > Dave Hylands - Moderator of SherlineCNC

    • Tom Wade
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
        Sam,

        I'm not trying to create any political strife here.

        If I'm wrong, and the SherlineCNC group is still going strong, I'll shut
        down the group. Don't know how to merge the two of them, if it is even
        possible.

        Tom Wade

        On 2/11/2013 12:42 PM, Sam Marrocco wrote:

        > On 2/11/2013 12:27 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:
        > >

        > > I don't think that creating a new Sherline-CNC group is the right
        > thing to
        > > do, since the existing group is operating quite well.
        > >

        > As a new user who doesn't know the history of the two (or more) groups,
        > would it be worth considering merging the two groups into SherlineCNC
        > for simplification? This is, of course assuming that the Sherline news
        > list moderator gives a go-ahead.
        >
        > As a member of many newsgroups over the years I've experienced the
        > splintering and cross-posting that separate groups can cause. Although
        > people will always complain about having too many postings to "wade"
        > through I've found that there is nothing like a good subject header to
        > prevent me from reading anything I don't care about.
        >
        > Sam Marrocco
        > Chief Technical Officer
        > 248-548-2500 Main
        > 248-910-3344 Cell
        >
        > "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."
        >
        > RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
        > http://www.ringsidecreative.com
        >
        > Find us on Facebook.

      • Tom Wade
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
          I may be totally confused herer. I may well have confused the two lists.
          This happens when you're receiving over 300 emails per day.

          I am NOT trying to create any strife here. If I've created the new group
          in error, I will most likely just shut it down.

          Tom Wade

          On 2/11/2013 12:48 PM, KM6VV wrote:

          > Tom Wade,
          >
          > What are you talking about! We have two active moderators on
          > SherlineCNC, Dave and I. You'd know that if you'd been reading the
          > posts. Or if you'd bothered to email the moderators.
          >
          > Alan KM6VV
          > Owner/Moderator
          >
          > On 2/11/2013 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 wrote:
          > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
          > than a year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
          > >
          > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
          > support for Sherline CNC users.
          > >
          > > Please go to

          > > to sign up for the new group.
          > >
          > > Tom Wade
          > > Moderator

        • Carl Carlsen
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
            To put it very bluntly, YES you ARE screwed up Tom.

            There is nothing wrong with this group ....THE CNC GROUP. If it wasn't
            here or wasn't working, we would not be able to make these posts AND read
            them.

            It is the "regular" Sherline group that is giving us problems. And YES
            again, there is no need for the new CNC group you have created and you would
            do us all a great favor if you would shut it down!

            Carl

            I may be totally confused herer. I may well have confused the two lists.
            This happens when you're receiving over 300 emails per day.

            I am NOT trying to create any strife here. If I've created the new group in
            error, I will most likely just shut it down.

            Tom Wade

            On 2/11/2013 12:48 PM, KM6VV wrote:

            > Tom Wade,
            >
            > What are you talking about! We have two active moderators on
            > SherlineCNC, Dave and I. You'd know that if you'd been reading the
            > posts. Or if you'd bothered to email the moderators.
            >
            > Alan KM6VV
            > Owner/Moderator
            >
            > On 2/11/2013 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 wrote:
            > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
            > than a year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
            > >
            > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
            > support for Sherline CNC users.
            > >
            > > Please go to

            > > to sign up for the new group.
            > >
            > > Tom Wade
            > > Moderator

          • S or J
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 13, 2013
              Hi Folks

              I guess Tom confused which group was in trouble, and he tried to do something about it, which was in error but admirable for motive.

              Obvious now, as Dave Hylands has confirmed, SherlineCNC is alive and well and finely moderated.

              Like many of you here, I followed the other group for many years until it went out of control. I don't read it any more.

              So despite having a manual Sherline mill, I found that manual mill or lathe users were very well served by the SherlineCNC group.

              After all, a CNC setup is largely an add on to a manual machine, and the manual portions of a CNC machine's needs still require solutions, tips, and help.

              My concern would be for the new owner of a manual Sherline machine, who on looking for a Yahoo support group, will erroneously think that the SherlineCNC group is not the one he wants.

              Meanwhile, if Sherline owners want to read many prior discussions without the hassle and excess baggage found in an archive search, they can simply read or download the appropriate files from my website.

              Life is never perfect, but we all try as best we can.

              Regards
              Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
              Machining and Metalworking at Home
              http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/

            • KM6VV
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 13, 2013
                Yes Steve,

                I can confirm that the SherlineCNC list is alive and well! Almost 10
                years now.

                Non-CNC users are still welcome! And we would delight in discussing
                machining on either CNC'd or manual mills and lathes. What we won't
                permit is the noise that is on the other list. I hope John gets back!
                (I haven't heard back from Fred).

                Alan KM6VV
                List Owner