Re: [SherlineCNC] New Sherline CNC group

  • R.L. Wurdack
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
      First principles would indicate that "whatever" is not hacking it.

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
        Try -very- hard to ignore him........

        You'll be happier.

        Best to ya...
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi, USA

        On Feb 11, 2013, at 6:37 PM, "kungfumachinist" <kungfumachinist@...> wrote:

        > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton Elliott" wrote:
        >> The other list unfortunately has one member in particular who seems to enjoy causing dissention
        >
        > I just left the other group this morning because of him. PLEASE don't merge the groups...
        >
        > /Daryl
      • Tom Wade
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
          Okay, Dave, maybe i really am confused......

          Glad to hear that you are still alive and kicking.

          Tom

          On 2/11/2013 12:27 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 tom@...
          > <mailto:tom%40wade.name>> wrote:
          >
          > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
          > than a
          > > year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
          > >

          > I think you mean that the moderator of the Sherline group has been missing
          > for more than a year. The moderators of the SherlineCNC group have been
          > present and active (I'm one of them, so I know).
          >
          > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
          > support
          > > for Sherline CNC users.
          > >
          > > Please go to

          > > to sign up for the new group.
          > >

          > I don't think that creating a new Sherline-CNC group is the right thing to
          > do, since the existing group is operating quite well.
          >
          > Dave Hylands - Moderator of SherlineCNC

        • Tom Wade
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
            Sam,

            I'm not trying to create any political strife here.

            If I'm wrong, and the SherlineCNC group is still going strong, I'll shut
            down the group. Don't know how to merge the two of them, if it is even
            possible.

            Tom Wade

            On 2/11/2013 12:42 PM, Sam Marrocco wrote:

            > On 2/11/2013 12:27 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:
            > >

            > > I don't think that creating a new Sherline-CNC group is the right
            > thing to
            > > do, since the existing group is operating quite well.
            > >

            > As a new user who doesn't know the history of the two (or more) groups,
            > would it be worth considering merging the two groups into SherlineCNC
            > for simplification? This is, of course assuming that the Sherline news
            > list moderator gives a go-ahead.
            >
            > As a member of many newsgroups over the years I've experienced the
            > splintering and cross-posting that separate groups can cause. Although
            > people will always complain about having too many postings to "wade"
            > through I've found that there is nothing like a good subject header to
            > prevent me from reading anything I don't care about.
            >
            > Sam Marrocco
            > Chief Technical Officer
            > 248-548-2500 Main
            > 248-910-3344 Cell
            >
            > "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."
            >
            > RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
            > http://www.ringsidecreative.com
            >
            > Find us on Facebook.

          • Tom Wade
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
              I may be totally confused herer. I may well have confused the two lists.
              This happens when you're receiving over 300 emails per day.

              I am NOT trying to create any strife here. If I've created the new group
              in error, I will most likely just shut it down.

              Tom Wade

              On 2/11/2013 12:48 PM, KM6VV wrote:

              > Tom Wade,
              >
              > What are you talking about! We have two active moderators on
              > SherlineCNC, Dave and I. You'd know that if you'd been reading the
              > posts. Or if you'd bothered to email the moderators.
              >
              > Alan KM6VV
              > Owner/Moderator
              >
              > On 2/11/2013 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 wrote:
              > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
              > than a year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
              > >
              > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
              > support for Sherline CNC users.
              > >
              > > Please go to

              > > to sign up for the new group.
              > >
              > > Tom Wade
              > > Moderator

            • Carl Carlsen
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 11, 2013
                To put it very bluntly, YES you ARE screwed up Tom.

                There is nothing wrong with this group ....THE CNC GROUP. If it wasn't
                here or wasn't working, we would not be able to make these posts AND read
                them.

                It is the "regular" Sherline group that is giving us problems. And YES
                again, there is no need for the new CNC group you have created and you would
                do us all a great favor if you would shut it down!

                Carl

                I may be totally confused herer. I may well have confused the two lists.
                This happens when you're receiving over 300 emails per day.

                I am NOT trying to create any strife here. If I've created the new group in
                error, I will most likely just shut it down.

                Tom Wade

                On 2/11/2013 12:48 PM, KM6VV wrote:

                > Tom Wade,
                >
                > What are you talking about! We have two active moderators on
                > SherlineCNC, Dave and I. You'd know that if you'd been reading the
                > posts. Or if you'd bothered to email the moderators.
                >
                > Alan KM6VV
                > Owner/Moderator
                >
                > On 2/11/2013 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 wrote:
                > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
                > than a year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
                > >
                > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
                > support for Sherline CNC users.
                > >
                > > Please go to

                > > to sign up for the new group.
                > >
                > > Tom Wade
                > > Moderator

              • S or J
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 13, 2013
                  Hi Folks

                  I guess Tom confused which group was in trouble, and he tried to do something about it, which was in error but admirable for motive.

                  Obvious now, as Dave Hylands has confirmed, SherlineCNC is alive and well and finely moderated.

                  Like many of you here, I followed the other group for many years until it went out of control. I don't read it any more.

                  So despite having a manual Sherline mill, I found that manual mill or lathe users were very well served by the SherlineCNC group.

                  After all, a CNC setup is largely an add on to a manual machine, and the manual portions of a CNC machine's needs still require solutions, tips, and help.

                  My concern would be for the new owner of a manual Sherline machine, who on looking for a Yahoo support group, will erroneously think that the SherlineCNC group is not the one he wants.

                  Meanwhile, if Sherline owners want to read many prior discussions without the hassle and excess baggage found in an archive search, they can simply read or download the appropriate files from my website.

                  Life is never perfect, but we all try as best we can.

                  Regards
                  Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
                  Machining and Metalworking at Home
                  http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/

                • KM6VV
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 13, 2013
                    Yes Steve,

                    I can confirm that the SherlineCNC list is alive and well! Almost 10
                    years now.

                    Non-CNC users are still welcome! And we would delight in discussing
                    machining on either CNC'd or manual mills and lathes. What we won't
                    permit is the noise that is on the other list. I hope John gets back!
                    (I haven't heard back from Fred).

                    Alan KM6VV
                    List Owner