Re: [SherlineCNC] New Sherline CNC group

  • Martin Dobbins
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 11 2:35 PM
      Hi Alan,

      Yes, please do, at this point I'm beginning to be concerned about John's well- being.  It would also be nice to be able to tell those folks who would like to join the Sherline list something substantial about what is happening (or not as the case might be) and Fred might have more information about that.

      I'm pretty sure Sherline is losing some potential customers over this.

      Martin

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 11 2:51 PM
        OK,

        I've got an email off to Fred; and I believe he still monitors this
        list. Almost 10 years now! Fred was here from the start, and supplies
        an excellent CAD/CAM package. I'm still using it, for over 10 years!

        Alan KM6VV

        On 2/11/2013 2:35 PM, Martin Dobbins wrote:
        > Hi Alan,
        >
        > Yes, please do, at this point I'm beginning to be concerned about John's well- being. It would also be nice to be able to tell those folks who would like to join the Sherline list something substantial about what is happening (or not as the case might be) and Fred might have more information about that.
        >

        > I'm pretty sure Sherline is losing some potential customers over this.
        >
        > Martin

      • Martin Dobbins
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 11 4:18 PM
          Hi Alan,

          Which package is that?  I just had a peek at his website and he sells a number of different ones.

          Martin

          ________________________________
          I've got an email off to Fred; and I believe he still monitors this
          list. Almost 10 years now! Fred was here from the start, and supplies
          an excellent CAD/CAM package. I'm still using it, for over 10 years!

          Alan KM6VV

          On 2/11/2013 2:35 PM, Martin Dobbins wrote:
          > Hi Alan,
          >
          > Yes, please do, at this point I'm beginning to be concerned about John's well- being. It would also be nice to be able to tell those folks who would like to join the Sherline list something substantial about what is happening (or not as the case might be) and Fred might have more information about that.
          >

          > I'm pretty sure Sherline is losing some potential customers over this.
          >
          > Martin

        • KM6VV
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 11 4:35 PM
            Hi Martin,

            I use Vector CAD/CAM. A now-old version, 10.0 as I remember. It will
            run under Windoz 7, but has to be invoked under admin privileges. I
            should check out the current version!

            http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/

            Alan KM6VV

            On 2/11/2013 4:18 PM, Martin Dobbins wrote:
            > Hi Alan,
            >
            > Which package is that? I just had a peek at his website and he sells a number of different ones.
            >
            > Martin

          • kungfumachinist
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 11 4:37 PM
              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton Elliott" wrote:
              > The other list unfortunately has one member in particular who seems to enjoy causing dissention

              I just left the other group this morning because of him. PLEASE don't merge the groups...

              /Daryl
            • R.L. Wurdack
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 11 4:40 PM
                First principles would indicate that "whatever" is not hacking it.

                I recall that Fred had said he was in contact with John, I can contact
                him for a Health and Welfare report.

                Alan KM6VV

                On 2/11/2013 12:22 PM, Martin Dobbins wrote:
                > Hi Alan,
                >
                > I hope John isn't ill. In case you are not aware Fred Smith (Im Service) posted a message to the Sherline group in early January indicating he was in touch with John and said he expected to be be back again "within a few days". Fred made it clear that he was not going to share John's contact details with anyone at that time. I don't know if you are prepared to go so far as a private message to Fred, but at least that might reassure us that John is not ill even if it does not elicit up to date contact information for you.
                >
                > Martin

              • Mike Bauers
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 11 4:42 PM
                  Try -very- hard to ignore him........

                  You'll be happier.

                  Best to ya...
                  Mike Bauers
                  Milwaukee, Wi, USA

                  On Feb 11, 2013, at 6:37 PM, "kungfumachinist" <kungfumachinist@...> wrote:

                  > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton Elliott" wrote:
                  >> The other list unfortunately has one member in particular who seems to enjoy causing dissention
                  >
                  > I just left the other group this morning because of him. PLEASE don't merge the groups...
                  >
                  > /Daryl
                • Tom Wade
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 11 8:08 PM
                    Okay, Dave, maybe i really am confused......

                    Glad to hear that you are still alive and kicking.

                    Tom

                    On 2/11/2013 12:27 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:

                    > Hi Tom,
                    >
                    > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 tom@...
                    > <mailto:tom%40wade.name>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
                    > than a
                    > > year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
                    > >

                    > I think you mean that the moderator of the Sherline group has been missing
                    > for more than a year. The moderators of the SherlineCNC group have been
                    > present and active (I'm one of them, so I know).
                    >
                    > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
                    > support
                    > > for Sherline CNC users.
                    > >
                    > > Please go to

                    > > to sign up for the new group.
                    > >

                    > I don't think that creating a new Sherline-CNC group is the right thing to
                    > do, since the existing group is operating quite well.
                    >
                    > Dave Hylands - Moderator of SherlineCNC

                  • Tom Wade
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 11 8:13 PM
                      Sam,

                      I'm not trying to create any political strife here.

                      If I'm wrong, and the SherlineCNC group is still going strong, I'll shut
                      down the group. Don't know how to merge the two of them, if it is even
                      possible.

                      Tom Wade

                      On 2/11/2013 12:42 PM, Sam Marrocco wrote:

                      > On 2/11/2013 12:27 PM, Dave Hylands wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I don't think that creating a new Sherline-CNC group is the right
                      > thing to
                      > > do, since the existing group is operating quite well.
                      > >

                      > As a new user who doesn't know the history of the two (or more) groups,
                      > would it be worth considering merging the two groups into SherlineCNC
                      > for simplification? This is, of course assuming that the Sherline news
                      > list moderator gives a go-ahead.
                      >
                      > As a member of many newsgroups over the years I've experienced the
                      > splintering and cross-posting that separate groups can cause. Although
                      > people will always complain about having too many postings to "wade"
                      > through I've found that there is nothing like a good subject header to
                      > prevent me from reading anything I don't care about.
                      >
                      > Sam Marrocco
                      > Chief Technical Officer
                      > 248-548-2500 Main
                      > 248-910-3344 Cell
                      >
                      > "Just because no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."
                      >
                      > RINGSIDE CREATIVE | INTEGRATED MEDIA STUDIO™
                      > http://www.ringsidecreative.com
                      >
                      > Find us on Facebook.

                    • Tom Wade
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 11 8:16 PM
                        I may be totally confused herer. I may well have confused the two lists.
                        This happens when you're receiving over 300 emails per day.

                        I am NOT trying to create any strife here. If I've created the new group
                        in error, I will most likely just shut it down.

                        Tom Wade

                        On 2/11/2013 12:48 PM, KM6VV wrote:

                        > Tom Wade,
                        >
                        > What are you talking about! We have two active moderators on
                        > SherlineCNC, Dave and I. You'd know that if you'd been reading the
                        > posts. Or if you'd bothered to email the moderators.
                        >
                        > Alan KM6VV
                        > Owner/Moderator
                        >
                        > On 2/11/2013 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 wrote:
                        > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
                        > than a year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
                        > >
                        > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
                        > support for Sherline CNC users.
                        > >
                        > > Please go to

                        > > to sign up for the new group.
                        > >
                        > > Tom Wade
                        > > Moderator

                      • Carl Carlsen
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 11 9:34 PM
                          To put it very bluntly, YES you ARE screwed up Tom.

                          There is nothing wrong with this group ....THE CNC GROUP. If it wasn't
                          here or wasn't working, we would not be able to make these posts AND read
                          them.

                          It is the "regular" Sherline group that is giving us problems. And YES
                          again, there is no need for the new CNC group you have created and you would
                          do us all a great favor if you would shut it down!

                          Carl

                          I may be totally confused herer. I may well have confused the two lists.
                          This happens when you're receiving over 300 emails per day.

                          I am NOT trying to create any strife here. If I've created the new group in
                          error, I will most likely just shut it down.

                          Tom Wade

                          On 2/11/2013 12:48 PM, KM6VV wrote:

                          > Tom Wade,
                          >
                          > What are you talking about! We have two active moderators on
                          > SherlineCNC, Dave and I. You'd know that if you'd been reading the
                          > posts. Or if you'd bothered to email the moderators.
                          >
                          > Alan KM6VV
                          > Owner/Moderator
                          >
                          > On 2/11/2013 4:21 AM, arcmaster3 wrote:
                          > > As the moderator of the SherlineCNC group has been missing for more
                          > than a year, this group is effectively closed to new members.
                          > >
                          > > The Sherline-CNC group has been started to try and get more online
                          > support for Sherline CNC users.
                          > >
                          > > Please go to

                          > > to sign up for the new group.
                          > >
                          > > Tom Wade
                          > > Moderator

                        • S or J
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 13 7:45 AM
                            Hi Folks

                            I guess Tom confused which group was in trouble, and he tried to do something about it, which was in error but admirable for motive.

                            Obvious now, as Dave Hylands has confirmed, SherlineCNC is alive and well and finely moderated.

                            Like many of you here, I followed the other group for many years until it went out of control. I don't read it any more.

                            So despite having a manual Sherline mill, I found that manual mill or lathe users were very well served by the SherlineCNC group.

                            After all, a CNC setup is largely an add on to a manual machine, and the manual portions of a CNC machine's needs still require solutions, tips, and help.

                            My concern would be for the new owner of a manual Sherline machine, who on looking for a Yahoo support group, will erroneously think that the SherlineCNC group is not the one he wants.

                            Meanwhile, if Sherline owners want to read many prior discussions without the hassle and excess baggage found in an archive search, they can simply read or download the appropriate files from my website.

                            Life is never perfect, but we all try as best we can.

                            Regards
                            Steve -- in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
                            Machining and Metalworking at Home
                            http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/

                          • KM6VV
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 13 10:23 AM
                              Yes Steve,

                              I can confirm that the SherlineCNC list is alive and well! Almost 10
                              years now.

                              Non-CNC users are still welcome! And we would delight in discussing
                              machining on either CNC'd or manual mills and lathes. What we won't
                              permit is the noise that is on the other list. I hope John gets back!
                              (I haven't heard back from Fred).

                              Alan KM6VV
                              List Owner