Re: New to CNC

  • kungfumachinist
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2013
      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Jim Akeson wrote:

      > Reread that email you replyed to.

      I think it was a fair question, Mach and EMC are "machine controllers" - they consume GCode, while CAM programs generate GCode. (Sure some MCs generate GCode but they shouldn't be considered full-fledged CAM programs.)

      /Daryl
    • cnc sales
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2013
        Here I my comments with 9 years experienec.

        The PC is the least important part !

        The most important part is the sw, either a closed box
        (usb controllers, any nr of hw controllers)- dont pick any of these
        mach3-easy and cheap
        emc2-far less easy but no buying cost

        The cost of mach3 will be moot, as you will spend far more on everything
        else.

        The nr1 error is typically trying to do it "cheap".
        This leads to 2 results.
        1. You abandon it as "not working"
        2. You then spend a lot more, to get a working solution

        Ie, most of this stuff has a cost for a reason.
        There is huge competition in the field, and the sweet spot is where you
        really want to be.

        Dont buy anything expect bipolar microstepping drivers (if using steppers).
        Chinese 50V/4a microstepping drivers are fine, and cost about the same
        as geckos.
        So are small geckos (g251s). Totally equivalent in use.
        Dont buy old or small steppers !
        A good stepper today has 3-5 Nm of torque for about the same cost as a
        little, weak, 120 ozin one.
        Use about 48V DC with you choice of driver electronics.
        ONLY consider bipolar parallel wired square-body steppers.

        Dont buy poor mounts, poor couplers, wrong belts (like xl series).
        Dont use poor cabling ! Use cabling meant to flex.

        To connect the steppers you need either couplers or belts.
        Cheap couplers are not very accurate - and good couplers are expensive.
        This will not matter if you buy poor belts, poor (cheap) mounts, small
        motors, or unshielded cables as the errors will be masked by the other
        stuff.
        A good cheap choice is HTD belts and pulleys, 5 mm profile (size) and 15
        mm wide.
        You can use the lathe to bore the pulleys to size for the steppers, or
        get it already done.

        You will need cam sw, and cad sw, and the machine controller, either
        mach3 or emc2.
        Learning everything in linux is a big undertaking, if you are not
        familiar with this.
        So it is in windows, but learning an opsys at the same time is a whole
        new set up problems.

        You will spend about 200-300$/axis with steppers.
        You CANNOT do a good job for much less.

        Approx ballpark costs.
        50$ stepper 2.5-4 Nm
        80$ Microstepping bipolar driver for stepper motor, 48V, 3-4 amps
        10$ pulley, 12-16 tooth (stepper end)
        20$ pulley, screw end, 16-48 teeth
        10$ limit switches
        10$ cabling
        180 $ per axis, add 20$ shipping and handling, about 200$/axis

        50$ Cabling 10+ m
        50$ connectors
        40$ main switch, estop
        100 $ breakout board, also called bob
        50$ box
        100$ PSU
        Remember to add some cable glands, strain reliefs, drills, mains cord,
        connector etc etc.
        All this stuff adds up.
        So the costs run about 1200 $ for a 3 axis setup.

        IF you use a weak, slow, less precise stepper, you will get about 30% of
        the performance, and save about 25$/axis.
        Absolutely not worth it.
        So forget integrated chinese tb6xxx drives with bob and 3 axis drivers.
        They work ( I have 2), but are relatively about 50% of the speed of the
        good microstepping drivers (or geckos), and again, you save 25$ /axis
        for 30% of total performance.

        You can start with mach3 as a demo (free).
        Once you learn, you can add mach3 licsense, 150$, mach3 wizards,50$
        iirc, basic cam (250$ meshcam etc and so on).

        Most of Jeff Birts (Soigeneris) kit is good, and he is a reputable long
        time seller.
        Any nr of suppliers in the US also sell good hw and accessories (over 30).